What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 927 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 928Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13891 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeton View Post
O.K. so temp sender is connected at t stat housing, seems to be a single connector, under the 2 connectors just above on the top of the t stat housing. I am trying to follow the line downwards to find the other (hoping that it is a dirty connector near the air breather area as that is where I had been working) but apart from a single wire connector under the alternator, cant seem to follow any further. Time to dig through the electrical diagrams. I have started twice, no problem but still code 1214.
It is a Bosch 2-wire connector at sensor in mid-thermo housing with brown and black wires. On 24v it should have a quick release spring clip just like the Bosch fuel injector connectors. There isn't any other connectosr in the two wires harness. They just go into the FI wiring harness under upper dog bone engine strut.

To fully see and access it it is best to have R/F wheel and front inner fender liner off.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13892 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Received our Hardtop from an another amazing AlfaBBer, thank you David... dbarnett1 . One of the many reasons this forum is our escape from the daily routine of Life.
Attached Images

post #13893 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Code 1214 solved. Yes, it was that connector under the rad line at the thermostat housing. The connector must have loosened while I was holding the line upwards to pour in coolant. The connector is not in the greatest of shape so perhaps a new one is in order. Carelessness on my part has cost me hours of frustration (interspersed with putting my mower deck back together, bagging leaves, work texts and such so maybe more "minutes" than hours). Thank you all for your help and have a good weekend.
Kim Boydell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13894 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Garage
My 2 new rubber exhaust hangers came in today from alfaissimo. When I looks the 1 hanger was broke. And the other was badly stretched. It's raining today to will try for tomorrow and have these installed.
Attached Images

post #13895 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Drove three red ones today

The 500X too hard to enter/exit.
The 500L too pedestrian
BUT the Stelvio pretty nice.

They wanted to give us $6k off Stelvio's sticker today.

The white Q out of our means.
Attached Images

jeffb99tx likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #13896 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Garage
Stopped raining so I put down some cardboard and got to work. Replaced both hangers. The one that was stretched already had a broken one still on it. Now it sits up higher and does not look like its sagging!
Attached Images

post #13897 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Changed the LR caliper and flexible hose. They were originals. Checked the fronts and they are original with original Pirelli hoses. Going to replace calipers and hoses there as well. Figured almost 30 years of service is sufficient.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #13898 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Roadtrip are you actually located in Rapid City?

M-B CLK 3.2
looking to add 105/115 GTV to my garage
post #13899 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbigge View Post
Yep, I believe he is.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #13900 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbigge View Post
Yep. Out Sheridan Lake Road. Try and meet for lunch sometime. Retired now so am in town full time vs. commuting to NYC.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #13901 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
John, I would like to visit about the challenges of finding, inspecting and buying my Alfa from out here in the netherlands. Also the learning curve of working on these cars. My goal is to buy a 105-115 gtv and most likely would end up with a spica engine. I remember the agony of trying to balance carbs on an early 4 cylinder Honda and hope spica maintenance would be less daunting. Would love to get together and chat. Weekends work best.

M-B CLK 3.2
looking to add 105/115 GTV to my garage
post #13902 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:38 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Had a great drive in the 91S today, zipping around, shifting gears. Great fun, except some yoyo in a big pickup tried to squeeze me out when I had to merge onto a freeway. He tried to pull right up as I was merging in, nowhere else to go. What is it with these drivers of big pickups and SUVs and their macho driving, blocking other drivers in such situations. I don't understand it, except I guess they are trying to prove their manhood? Idiots. Won't mention the one bumper sticker most of them seem to have on their cars.

All in all, though, otherwise great drive in nice weather. Car ran well, sounded great, and I'm sure it was getting good vibes as I was, lol.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #13903 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

trucks are getting bigger...the grand caravan was the big boy on the block, SUVs are now as big if not bigger...trucks are bigger still....by comparison 164s are getting smaller and smaller...…..perhaps he did not see you...or just wanted to make sure you saw the sticker

164LS 1994
post #13904 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Had a great drive in the 91S today, zipping around, shifting gears. Great fun, except some yoyo in a big pickup tried to squeeze me out when I had to merge onto a freeway. He tried to pull right up as I was merging in, nowhere else to go. What is it with these drivers of big pickups and SUVs and their macho driving, blocking other drivers in such situations. I don't understand it, except I guess they are trying to prove their manhood? Idiots. Won't mention the one bumper sticker most of them seem to have on their cars.

All in all, though, otherwise great drive in nice weather. Car ran well, sounded great, and I'm sure it was getting good vibes as I was, lol.
Don't think it's restricted to any political demographic. Try driving among NYC's liberal "elite." I've been literally run off the freeways there three times (at least once by a woman) by the "get-out-of-my-way" speeders, lane-weavers, and road-shoulder-passers in their Lincolns, Caddies, and BMWs. And the NY police do nothing. It felt so good to retire, get on an airplane and out of there . . . never to return.

IMO, big cities infect people with that mob mentality, and unfortunately, when they move out of those cities to get away from the taxes and declining standards of living, they take their poor manners with them. If you like F-250 freeway truck racing, try driving in Dallas! In general, too, I've found that the courtesy of the long-haul 18 wheeler drivers have deteriorated markedly.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 04-24-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #13905 of 14163 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Lincolns, Caddies, and BMWs" Add to that the Audis and Teslas.

Funny, but out here, usually I find that drivers of those sorts of cars are more into "the other side", lol. Pretty darn conservative, with their dreams of more money, the worst example are the conservative hedge fund managers raking in an average $815,000,000 a year each!!, so I've just read. But never mind.

When I had to visit one of the Boeing assembly plants, I marveled at how fast and wild the assembly line workers in their pickups (not many SUVs in those days) left the parking lot at quitting time. Just about got run over in my little Alfa several times. Trust me, those guys were not of the progressive or forward looking set. We engineers always figured that they drove that way to get to the bars sooner, lol, as usually we worked a little longer to avoid the mad rush, sauntering out to our cars.

Yes, ever since Reagan loosened up, deregulated, many occupations, such as the long haul truck driving, as the skilled drivers of those days have died off and their places taken up by the younger unregulated set, their driving habits have gotten worse. MY wife and I note that ever time we go on highways where the long haul truck are traveling.

Having driven in NYC, Boston, DC, and other East Coast cities, I tended to think that their driving habits were just the way the East Coast and New England all thought, in comparison. Very competitive and aggressive. Whereas, we always used to laugh, saying that So Cal drivers were esp skilled in doing four wheel drifts across all lanes to finally take the exit they wanted.

Whatever, yesterday was a good Alfa run. Great fun revving up and down through the gears, listening to the engine do it's thing. I certainly think I would miss that with a new Giulia, regardless of how well it may handle in comparison.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-24-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode