What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 926 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1009Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13876 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:16 PM

yep ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeton View Post
When placed in the correct spot (this is sitting towards the front for reference), putting it downwards would have put it over the subframe and I did not see much clearance between the two in anycase. This is angled enough to have it flow downwards and I intend to use an intermediate piece to control flow into a container, rather than having it splash around.
I angled mine down from the front side, nearly straight down. It clears the subframe by 1/2 inch and I just put a bucket underneath and let er drain. No more coolant on the floor from taking that rad hose off!!!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13877 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 PM

I did not have the rad in and thought the clearance would be a tad tight. Your placement might be a bit beter but either beats having coolant splash around and dripping on an otherwise clean floor.
goats likes this.
post #13878 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 PM

I've been installing these drains on my 164s for over 15 years. I install them toward the passenger side and pointing slightly forward so I can reach down from above on my 12V and operate the valve. It is so much easier to drain coolant.
goats and Rogue Leader like this.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13879 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Garage
Looked under my car to check exhaust hanger donut condition, 1 of the 2 rear donuts are broken and other is stretched out quite a bit. Ordered 2 new ones from alfissimo.
post #13880 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Not Alfa related, but our condolences to those in France, esp Paris, at the very sad sight of the icon of Paris Notre Dame cathedral burning, suffering massive damage. Having visited it several times ourselves, and being students of cathedral design, we have always marveled at the classic Gothic design and the unmistakable beauty of the Rose windows. At least, it is thankfully apparent that no lives were lost, and thus far, it is assumed that it was not a political act as was the Trade Towers in New York.

Gothic cathedrals are marvelous structures, to say nothing of their social relevance to many people, esp for their time of creation. Unfortunately, many cathedrals and castles have had their wooden roofs burn (it seems to be a given) through the centuries, and the present day authorities have always been reluctant to install fire suppression equipment, altering these historic icons of human creativity. Hopefully, it will be rebuilt, with a metal roof and adequate fire fighting systems. Will take many decades I suspect.

Again, our condolences.
oz3litre likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-15-2019 at 10:56 PM.
post #13881 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
My oldest daughter and I visited Paris in 1986 and visited the cathedral and counted the gargoyles.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #13882 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 PM

95 LS auto.....

Put the metal line back in (between left and right hoses, fresh drain tap installed) and tightened up, filled with about 4 liters only to find a leak at the braze!! Darn. Should have checked the braze first. Drain it again, made much easier with the tap this time, cleaned up and started to braze again...ran out of Oxy...drove to the hardware store to buy more Oxy...brazed again, TESTED AND TESTED, installed cooling system, rad, all connectors, air box and started. Fired right up but the engine light stayed on. Shut engine off after it warmed to around 140 to check connections, one was loose (white and black connector, running over the brake lines). Now, cranks but no start. I checked for codes and came up with a 1255. Was idling fairly smooth and responded to gas pedal so I don't believe it is a timing issue but you never know.
I will check again tomorrow morning as I have to get my lawn tractor ready and reached my frustration level but hopefully, cleaning all connections will help.
post #13883 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:00 AM

Cheese-balls. Checked and cleaned all connections under and right of the airbox this morning to deal with the code 1255. Put it all back in, started the car up and it fired right up. Noticed the idle was high (just under 2k). Shut off and did a code read... 1221. Bad me, the air flow connector had not clicked into position. Tightened that up and then NO start. Removed and replaced the battery lead and tried another code search to find a 1214 (engine temp sensor). Having some trouble finding the correct connector for that. The temp sensor is off of the thermostat housing, I believe but where is that connector located along the harness AND will this cause a no start? Thanks all.
post #13884 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:05 AM

put your fuel pressure gauge in line with the rail while you troubleshoot. Trust me, it adds a TON of information. I recall the gauge sensor is in the tstat housing easy to see but the motronic sensor is hidden underneath the rad hose on top of the tstat housing. I recall its a blue? connector? Been years since I;ve looked......

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #13885 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Cheese-balls. Checked and cleaned all connections under and right of the airbox this morning to deal with the code 1255. Put it all back in, started the car up and it fired right up. Noticed the idle was high (just under 2k). Shut off and did a code read... 1221. Bad me, the air flow connector had not clicked into position. Tightened that up and then NO start. Removed and replaced the battery lead and tried another code search to find a 1214 (engine temp sensor). Having some trouble finding the correct connector for that. The temp sensor is off of the thermostat housing, I believe but where is that connector located along the harness AND will this cause a no start? Thanks all.
Yes cold no start with Bosch coolant temp sensor disconnected. It is well hidden under area where top radiator hose connects to thermostat. It is at a same 45 degree angle like hose to thermostat. It is not temp gauge sender next to timing belt cover.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #13886 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
Checked the idle jets on the Alfetta sedan, ordered 1 size up to hopefully correct a slight stumble on acceleration, and drove the 4C to work for the first time after winter hibernation.

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #13887 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Yes cold no start with Bosch coolant temp sensor disconnected. It is well hidden under area where top radiator hose connects to thermostat. It is at a same 45 degree angle like hose to thermostat. It is not temp gauge sender next to timing belt cover.
So, this is not the sensor running off of the lower rad (above the 90 degree hose) and connected up near the drivers side of the rad? Sorry, but I am a bit confused by the description.
post #13888 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
So, this is not the sensor running off of the lower rad (above the 90 degree hose) and connected up near the drivers side of the rad? Sorry, but I am a bit confused by the description.
NO, it is hidden in mid-thermostat housing at 45 degrees under where top hose hooks to thermostat

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #13889 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM

I took my baby (S2 Spider) into the shop to remount transmission tower boots, adjust idle and a general inspection.
Hopefully nothing else is found.
post #13890 of 14390 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM

O.K. so temp sender is connected at t stat housing, seems to be a single connector, under the 2 connectors just above on the top of the t stat housing. I am trying to follow the line downwards to find the other (hoping that it is a dirty connector near the air breather area as that is where I had been working) but apart from a single wire connector under the alternator, cant seem to follow any further. Time to dig through the electrical diagrams. I have started twice, no problem but still code 1214.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode