What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 925 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 955Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13861 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

thank you sir

164LS 1994
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13862 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Continues to clean up any gunk in the engine bay, forward area as i wait upon the day i can go pickup my master cylinder. In the meantime, removed the rad, fan, tranny cooler and tranny fan.
The rad fan, frame were dirty and the fan seemed to rub a bit when turned by hand. I removed the motor, opened it up and found the rear bearing smooth but the front one slightly uneven. I toyed with the idea of replacing the front bearing but noticed it was staked in place and as the housing seems to be aluminium, didn't want to risk cracking it and rendering the motor useless. Cleaned up the front bearing by spraying lubricant through it and it cleared right up. Cleaned up everything and gave the motor a nice coat of orange heat-resistant paint to pretty things up.
Tested the tranny fan with a battery and it spun right up but vibrated noticeably. Figured it would be an easy task to remove...not really, as the cooler has t b removed first but it did give me a chance to de-grease more of the surrounding area.
This motor is not the bolt together type (as is the engine cooling fan), but the rear and front are staked in place. Figured I would probably hae to find a replacement anyway, I removed the rear cap and found no bearing but a brass-ball type bearing. The front circlip was rotted off and it was probably a matter of time before the front spun off into the cooler, although the fan blade assembly was on the shaft very tight (had to use a punch to push it through). I am going to clean up the motor and reassemble with 2 bolts running from rear to front (I have to drill 2 holes on either end) as staking might not take this time around. if it doesn't improve, I will visit the local motor shop for a replacement motor and transfer the fan blade and the yoke-mount assembly.
Attached Images

post #13863 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
Had some alfa action this weekend. Sat and washed my alfa as it needed it badly and was dirty from sitting in the garage over winter but now looks amazing!. Will need to find time to throughly clean inside. Will clean up bumper and get it ready for install next week if I have the time. Currently need exhaust hangers as my exhaust is swinging and you can hear it. On another note I halve successfully replaced the engine in my 07 Ford Crown Victoria P71. With that out of the way I can start on the normal care of my Alfa like the oil change and air filter replacement as these items are close to the mileage that says I need to change them.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13864 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 AM

FINALLY...

Its finally at my house, on the lift, ready to be worked on. Last year I blew the engine in my race car, so I had to get together the parts I need for a new motor, which I did, now everything is set, the race car is moved out of the way as it has to wait for the motor to go to and come back from the engine builder, so I finally have time for this. Got it here and up on the lift and I drowned the suspension in PB blaster. Most bolts look like they will come out, my main fear is the nuts on the front ball joints, they look pretty awful.

RobRizzo likes this.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #13865 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
BB2 got fresh oil and filter today. Only 3k on oil but almost 3 years since last oil change. Where does the time fly to when life gets in the way?

Had to replace worn R/H upper tie rod end from steering box pitman arm to right spindle on our Jeep Grand yesterday. Always something to do around here car related just don't always find time and energy to do it.

Got air bag wiring on BB2 hooked back to ECU and air bag light staying out again. Seems to throw code 36 for air bag squib every couple weeks.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 04-10-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #13866 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Wink

I hate it when squids get into my air bags!
post #13867 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
BB2 got fresh oil and filter today. Only 3k on oil but almost 3 years since last oil change. Where does the time fly to when life gets in the way?
I'm glad to hear someone as knowledgable as you had no problem with waiting 3 years on an oil change. The oil in my Camaro (Mobil 1) has just about 1000 miles on it but I last changed the oil in Nov 2016. I barely drive the car. The oil is perfectly normal on the dipstick, the car lives in a garage, and there is no evidence at all that oil just "goes bad". Don't get me wrong, I plan to change it soon, just in case. But in 2017 for example I put about 50 miles on the car, it was broken for most of the year.

There are folks out there who would crucify someone for this.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #13868 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Garage
If PB doesn't work, try Silikroil from Kroil. When I lived in Chicago, I had a terrible time with frozen, rusty bolts. I'd soak them in Silikroil and it helped a lot. It's the best I found and even though I'm in the LA area now (with nearly no rust), I still keep some around.
Rogue Leader likes this.
post #13869 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCars View Post
I hate it when squids get into my air bags!
speel ck my bad made pen and ink change thx for pu on that.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #13870 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

91S alrernator replacement soon

Decided that after 192K miles on the 91S, the alternator needs replacing or at least rebuilding, as after replacing the brushes a few months ago just for the heck of it, the volt meter needle wobbles a little at idle with the lights varying in brightness at the same time, and takes a couple of seconds for the voltage readout to rise from ~12 volts to the usual 14+ volts. Everything works as it should at rpms higher than idle at all times, but I think the commutator needs work, if not becoming just plain worn out. the belt is still very tight.

Luckily, I have a decent used alternator I spent the morning cleaning up that I will use as the replacement. Then I will find a place to rebuild (if possible) the original alternator as the new spare.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-11-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #13871 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Rogue, I'm with you. My perspective is that oil sat in the ground for a long time, its not going to go bad sitting in a bottle on the shelf, or in the motor for a few years. Lately I;ve been kind of lucky on garage sales with buying up old (unused) oil --Ive gotten 2 cases of Castrol 10-40 and one 20-50 from >10 years ago according to the date code. Nothing wrong with the oil, works great. I change oil by mileage only, unless I see something during dipstick check.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #13872 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Adapted a drain onto the intermediate pipe between left and right lower rad hoses. This, to avoid spilling anfifreeze everywhere when changing or servicing. This involved buying a fitting (don't for the life of me remember the size, about 5/8 and 3/8 I believe, 27 thread pitch on the smaller side), drilling and tapping a hole and brazing it all together. Cost was about $6 for fittings, $16 for an Oxygen tank (for brazing), not yet emptied and whatever remained of my red heat-resistant paint.
Hope to get it together after Sunday as I now have the brake master and would like to avoid dropping coolant down a 2nd time.
Attached Images

goats likes this.
post #13873 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 PM

why didn't you face it down towards the ground?

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #13874 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
Rogue, I'm with you. My perspective is that oil sat in the ground for a long time, its not going to go bad sitting in a bottle on the shelf, or in the motor for a few years. Lately I;ve been kind of lucky on garage sales with buying up old (unused) oil --Ive gotten 2 cases of Castrol 10-40 and one 20-50 from >10 years ago according to the date code. Nothing wrong with the oil, works great. I change oil by mileage only, unless I see something during dipstick check.
I have oil older than that laying around, Mobil 1 I think from the 90's. Even some Exxon Esso oil. I agree to some extent there is no reason to change something that has been in the earth for billions of years but at the same time it was manipulated by us which in turn means it's not the same as it was and most likely less capable of lasting as long. So me thinks a few thousand years less than the crude puled from the earth. So, over-all you should be OK!
Rogue Leader likes this.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
post #13875 of 14239 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
why didn't you face it down towards the ground?
When placed in the correct spot (this is sitting towards the front for reference), putting it downwards would have put it over the subframe and I did not see much clearance between the two in anycase. This is angled enough to have it flow downwards and I intend to use an intermediate piece to control flow into a container, rather than having it splash around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode