What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 836 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 935Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #12526 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Garage
Today i have received my package from Chazzy!! glad he put some foam padding so it could arrive to me safely. now i just have to clean it up a little and install it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12527 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Rossa left for surgery this evening. It was strange when Walters kid brought me home in her. Well, lemme rephrase. I drove home and he drove her back to the shop where the work is done. No one except Alfisto Steve has driven this car so it was very strange when Adalberto left in her. Otherwise all is good. Mr Del, yu really haven't farted in your car? Sounds suspect to me. Ciao, Chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #12528 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Played musical cars with BB1 and BB2 today. Moved BB1 back into work que side of the garage in anticipation of bumper and fender returning soon and before weather goes north feeling again.

Stuffed good spare set of 164L front and rears from BB4 into QS2 as sun room has become holding shed for smoked belongings from daughter's home.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12529 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:58 PM

Garage
Was a bit cold outside, a cold 17F here but that did not stop me from installing the Tank, a portable heater helps a bit lol. I cleaned the tank the best i could and assured that it was clean to my liking and im picky lol. I managed to install the tank fill it up bleed any air out of the system, then i was able to start her up!!! all that is left is to bleed the brakes but that will come later when it gets warmer out as we got snow yesterday and have more coming this week.
Attached Images

Del likes this.
post #12530 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguy419 View Post
Was a bit cold outside, a cold 17F here but that did not stop me from installing the Tank, a portable heater helps a bit lol. I cleaned the tank the best i could and assured that it was clean to my liking and im picky lol. I managed to install the tank fill it up bleed any air out of the system, then i was able to start her up!!! all that is left is to bleed the brakes but that will come later when it gets warmer out as we got snow yesterday and have more coming this week.
So did you fix leaking rubber grommet and elbow on brake master when you had coolant tank out?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #12531 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Played/moved spare 164 spare leather seats from sun roof to QS2 so now has two sets of rears and a better set of fronts I got from a 93L in P-N-P last summer.

I made room in sun room so daughter and BF can go through and sort out their smoked goods.

I drove BB4 again to commissary. ML got back from northern VA visit.

JJ called from paint store trying to match paint for BB1's new repaired bumper. I had given him a can of 633 code which turns out to be from my 164S lower cladding/bumper color and it turns out 164B/L code is 776. He must have used up that color bumper paint last time he repaired to bumper that was the one that got damaged in hit and run. They ended up doing did a computer color from R/F lower cladding off damaged fender.

We got the 34 page rebuild estimate for daughter's house fire from USAA ins co today. Have a conference call with adjuster tomorrow. Hope to get that project demo part started soon.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #12532 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Changed the oil and filter in the LS today. Took about 1/2 hour for everything. Worst part always is finding the filter, lol. Long reach in and up. Once found, no problem. The right hand works best through the right wheel well, no panels to remove, just wheel. Used Mobil 1 15W-50.

Different subject, also got the telescope running with a new alt drive. The old one slipped a little when tracking. Hot to trot with the new astro cameras once we get some clear weather, which for Seattle may be in a couple of months, lol.

Also watched the liftoff of the Falcon Heavy rocket. Simply spectacular, and an absolute scream to see the Tesla roadster in orbit. The simultaneous landing of the two side boosters back at Canaveral was also spectacular. Too bad the center booster had an engine ignition problem which caused it to crash at 300 mph on the barge at sea. However, simply a great show, and glad Elon Musk is being successful in competing against the mainline companies and NASA, even if NASA is also a customer. Musk spent 500 million at least of his own company money developing the Heavy. He and SpaceX are bringing excitement back to the space programs, as we used to have back in the Apollo days.
oz3litre and horsewidower like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 02-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #12533 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 PM

Alfas on the track - So Calif

Well you send out an invitation for a free "tour" on a racetrack and the Alfas come out of the woodwork.
I counted 10 Giulias and 2 4Cs as well as a few other vintage Alfas. They were lead by 2 Giulias and a Stelvio from our friends at Hunter Alfa Romeo Lancaster.
Several other Giulias did not want to do the track tour and there were 4 other 4Cs that stayed in the pits waiting for their time trial group to start when the Tour was over.
Not a bad day.
The Hunter Alfa people used our track event as an Alfa customer appreciation event where they invited some customers out to the track.
Funny, 2 of them had Giulia Quads but did not want to do the track tour even though we did it at freeway speeds, "Oh no, watching you all from here is good enough for me."
One guy trailered his 4C all the way from Aspen CO just for this event. It must be nice. . . .
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #12534 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Finished the main mechanicals on the spider gearbox. Now just gotta seal it up, add the reverse idler, add bellhousing etc etc then the simple easy job of installing it back in the car on my back with 14 inches clearance. Piece of cake.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #12535 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Now I have SEVEN cars, that’s right (7)

Not really by choice mind you, a friend of mine broke down on the road in her 2009 Camry Hybrid. Took it to the dealer where they told her she needed a new $4,700 battery. I felt bad for her so said I’d buy it for $1,000 see if I could fix it and put it on Craigslist to try get her at least a halfway decent amount. Well that was the plan but the more I look into it the more I shake my head wondering how so many people got suckered into the hybrid hype (this is basically identical to a Prius) While it is possible to replace a bad module or two in the pack it’s likely a temporary fix which gives me reservations about passing it on to someone else. It’s possible to recondition and balance them with a simple hobby charger but it would take you about four months unless you bought 30 of them. Even then the reconditioned battery is only good for another year or two. Apparently these cars are meant to be tossed into the recycle bin after 8 or 10years and replaced with a new one.

My respect for Toyota (which wasn’t high to begin with) just fell another notch.

So how green am I? Since the cumulative age of all of my other cars combined is 92 years I have made it possible for Toyota to save the resources needed to build NINE Priuses!! Yay

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #12536 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I think the ordinary Camrys are fine. Friend of ours just bought a new one after putting many thousands of miles on her 2000. It was still in fine shape, considering. And for the pure Prius, we have a radio talk host who bought one of the very first original Prius models new when they first came out, and he is still driving it as far as I know.

Hybrids, however, are a mix of technologies, and I suspect that is a hard nut to crack getting right. Could be that Toyota went on the cheap, just to get something out in this new rush to deliver hybrids. The manufacturers are under a great deal of pressure to increase the mpg rating of their fleets, and a hybrid is one way to do it in the interim.

Of course, on the other hand, there are mainline Japanese companies which are in trouble with some sorts of cheating, and a troubling customer perception of dropping product quality.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 02-07-2018 at 11:02 PM.
post #12537 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
Now I have SEVEN cars, thatís right (7)

Not really by choice mind you, a friend of mine broke down on the road in her 2009 Camry Hybrid. Took it to the dealer where they told her she needed a new $4,700 battery. I felt bad for her so said Iíd buy it for $1,000 see if I could fix it and put it on Craigslist to try get her at least a halfway decent amount. Well that was the plan but the more I look into it the more I shake my head wondering how so many people got suckered into the hybrid hype (this is basically identical to a Prius) While it is possible to replace a bad module or two in the pack itís likely a temporary fix which gives me reservations about passing it on to someone else. Itís possible to recondition and balance them with a simple hobby charger but it would take you about four months unless you bought 30 of them. Even then the reconditioned battery is only good for another year or two. Apparently these cars are meant to be tossed into the recycle bin after 8 or 10years and replaced with a new one.

My respect for Toyota (which wasnít high to begin with) just fell another notch.

So how green am I? Since the cumulative age of all of my other cars combined is 92 years I have made it possible for Toyota to save the resources needed to build NINE Priuses!! Yay
I always find it strange how electric and hybrid car fans ignore people who point out that when everything is added up they are worse for the environment than petrol or diesel vehicles. It is like some sort of religious zeal I think, where they like to deny the flaws in their faith. As you say Paul, owning old cars is the best thing you can do for the environment. Toyotas are mind numbingly boring as it is. I canít imagine what a completely silent electric one is like.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #12538 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:38 AM

Hi guys,
I have been trying to figure out what car manual is for
My car
Iíve had 3 164ís so I have 3 manual and they all sumething
Different eg: relay G (see photos)
My car is an Australia landed 1991 Qv right hand drive
In the G relay slot I have a brass strip no relay
The car has no rear cigar lighter or sunroof so I am a little confused
Lol
I will try to post pictures
post #12539 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 AM

I have to put the photos on Facebook
Alfa Romeo 164 fun club
Cheers
Ps we still have very slow upload
Because if the internet here sorry
Have a great day
post #12540 of 14189 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
JJ called yesterday. Looks like fender(s) and bumper(s) are ready for PU. He repaired two bumpers, one fender and painted one spare fender black for BB1. I guess I will have one spare R/F fender and a spare bumper for next fender bender or hit and run.

I still have damaged bumper off BB1 and part of broken off piece but it still is missing part of the top of curve at top corner. I am sure we could find a way to save it somehow but will just add it to my plant garden for now.

Alfa gods please help me - no more twisted sheet metal!

Checks in the mail and we meet with contractor Monday to sign three party check and contract to rebuild our rental house for daughter.

I have one more load with trailer to get artist table, chair; etc.... from fire damaged house before the gut out starts next week. Then I take trailer to PU fenders and bumpers after lunch with Fiat buds at the Frog,

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode