What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 692 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1004Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #10366 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Yesterday I spent four hours trying to remove the passenger seat in my 164S. First, the slider and height adjustment switches aren't functional (part or the reason for seat removal) so I had to unplug the six-prong connector under the seat and activate the switches with a cordless drill battery and some wire and alligator clips just so I could access the seat mounting bolts. Then, after removing three of the four bolts, realized that the previous owner had rounded the inside of the hex head on the last bolt, the front bolt closest to the center console. In order to reach that bolt with an easy-out, I then had to remove the center console. I then proceeded to break two easy-outs and two drill bits trying to extract the bolt. Finally I resorted to drilling/grinding/cursing and ground the head completely off the bolt to remove the seat. My whole body aches from contorting in the seat and pushing on the drill and dremel to remove that bolt, but it's finally out.
Attached Images

Scott Catlin
1993 Alfa Romeo 164S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10367 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Interesting...It's usually just the switches, not the motors. Better luck with getting it back together.
post #10368 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
If the seat back switch works just remove it and plug it into the slider and/or raiser switches wiring sockets and see if those functions will work with that switch.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10369 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:07 PM

I switched the known-good switches from the drivers seat to the passenger seat and still didn't get movement. All three motors are fine; they functioned when I gave them power from the drill battery, just not from any combination of switches. I'll figure it out, but I wanted the seat out anyway so I could give it a good detail and hopefully dye the carpets.

Scott Catlin
1993 Alfa Romeo 164S
post #10370 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Jacked up the 91S to see if I could figure out what is clunking in the left front when I hit a bump. It is a heavy clunk sound, thought it might be the stab bar bouncing up and down because of worn bushings but they are good. Might be the lhs hub lower ball joint, as the rubber shield is quite torn. Nothing else is loose anywhere, rhs engine mounts are new. I haven't checked the left mount yet. Will change the ball joints using the new tool I bought a couple of months ago.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.
post #10371 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatlin View Post
I switched the known-good switches from the drivers seat to the passenger seat and still didn't get movement. All three motors are fine; they functioned when I gave them power from the drill battery, just not from any combination of switches. I'll figure it out, but I wanted the seat out anyway so I could give it a good detail and hopefully dye the carpets.
Sometimes you just gotta tap on the motors with a small hammer to get motors to work and also try to keep motors just a little off full stop after you adjust seat electrically.

Do you have the 164 TSB 40.91.02 blue or black Magic 60897423 breakout boxes plugged into seat wiring that make motors work better?

I do have some spares.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-06-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #10372 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Sometimes you just gotta tap on the motors with a small hammer to get motors to work and also try to keep motors just a little off full stop after you adjust seat electrically.

Do you have the 164 TSB 40.91.02 blue or black Magic 60897423 breakout boxes plugged into seat wiring that make motors work better?

I do have some spares.
No blue or black boxes. I looked at various threads and don't have the boxes shown in Roadtrip's post here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...at-wiring.html

Scott Catlin
1993 Alfa Romeo 164S
post #10373 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatlin View Post
No blue or black boxes. I looked at various threads and don't have the boxes shown in Roadtrip's post here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...at-wiring.html
As Chazzy said check inside the leather wrap around of bottom seat bottom leather to see if box hidden inside the front of the seat.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #10374 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM

I removed my blue boxes....
post #10375 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:49 PM

VM here. Back in the land of Alfas! OMG I am so glad our front seat controls haven't misfunctioned. yet. Will force the husband to drive us around in the 164 tomorrow. Hopefully we can put new gas in it soon! By the way: here's our deal: I take care of his Alfas, he takes care of the 12 cats when I am away on business (including meds when one is sick). Now, who do you think has the better deal?
post #10376 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Clearly, you do, even if you have to get dirty working on them. 12 cats, OMG, masochist? We have one, and that is enough, although we wouldn't be without one. My wife takes care of what goes in one end, and I have to take care of the stuff that comes out the other, lol. Yes, it is a house cat, gotta save those birds.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #10377 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 PM

VM...Indeed your the winner?
post #10378 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
to play contrarian, why not fill the tank up now. I'd not want the last remaining amount of what you believe to be "bad gas" sucking thru my new pump. Been my experiences that the crud collects at the bottom of the tank and tho, while filtered, I'd prefer it not be there. ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #10379 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 PM

Thanks to all! There was crud in the bottom of the basket, (which i cleaned out, of course) but the bottom of the tank looked absolutely pristine. Will advise to put fresh gas in ASAP. Steve says to put blue marine Stabil in. What is everyone's opinion about that extra expensive non-ethanol super? Do you all use it? I think I know one station over here that sells it. And how frequently do you change your fuel filters? I changed ours before I swapped out the fuel pump, when the car was not starting or running well after it had sat, after the heater core fix. I'll check the repair log to see just how many miles it has on it.

As far as the cat mob. You all are right. The alfa repairs come and go, but cat poop (and barf) are forever. Ours must be indoors as well, saving the birds, the squirrels, the resident bunny. Don't come for a visit, unless you want a ride in an alfa, and are prepared to camp in the wheat field. I guess a soft spot for exotic cars includes a soft spot for orphaned critters. What can I say? My husband was kind enough to take me in, 36 years ago!
VM
post #10380 of 14382 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Garage
Fixed the '79 Spider oil pressure gauge.

Worked on diagnosing the SPICA in an effort to cure the WAY too rich mixture.
What was that fable about F.I., something about being so much "Cleaner" than Webers?
If this was a Weber car I would have been driving it already!

Wonder if I could get enough for the complete SPICA system to get another Euro manifold and jets/chokes for my DCOE's?
That would estrange the Spider from ever having another Kali owner but I'm fine with that since I'm not planning to sell.
It also seems the last one did not treat it well. (Simply removing inconvenient parts without regard to function is NOT repair!)

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode