Alfsito Steve's daily blog - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Alfisto Steve's daily blog

Yesterday was change the leaking 60510277 hose between steel pipe from thermostat to steel pipe on cross rail to radiator lower hose on black Beauty as it dumped coolant all over the church parking lot on Sunday. Hose had a nice 1/2" slit in it. Only leaked though when system pressurized. Found passenger side headlight frame cracked when doing hose so robbed/swapped headlight from Old Blue. Also found red wire terminal in cooling fan connector showing signs of poor connection/overheating so had to repair that. Installed a new 60609114 low speeding cooling fan resistor in fan shroud while fan and shroud was out to change bad hose listed above. I also converted my wiring mods at fan relay socket holders back to low speed and high speed set up for the winter.

Last night daughter, her BF and I took Myron to Alfa dinner meeting in her 164B. SO FOUR 164 OWNERS CARPOOLED IN ONE 164!
HOW'S THAT FOR CONSERVING FUEL?

She let me drive. Afraid to drive Myrons since we have no more seat gearboxes to swap out is we strip a gearbox lowering seat so I can get in the car as he has it raised way up. He thinks the right side frame/gearbaox set we swapped couple weeks ago does not raise the seat as high as his original driver's seat did. But he says he is high enough to drive OK.

Today I started up Red 164S and drove it forward and backward in back yard.
Can't get gate open now to do anymore driving than that.

I changed out squeaking driver's door striker/stop assembly on Black Beauty today with a new one as noise was not going away with WD-40 spray. Starting to detail for this weekend car show it is entered in. Put on a new Alfa Logo brake pedal rubber pad, too.

UPS delivered my governor seals/gasket and Accum A spring parts in from Nat in CT and my 12 cleaned and tested injectors back from Rich in MI. Six of them will be going into my 164B this winter.

Working on rearranging/relocating more car parts before the wife gets back from PA business trip.

Retirement is a full-time job!

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-22-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: can't spell well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm spending time these days looking for a garage with a house attached. Saw a beauty last weekend. Would easily hold 4 cars, high ceiling, good lighting, even wired for 220V. In addition there was a carport and room for about 6 cars in the driveway and street out front and yes, it even had a house attached.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I tell you it sure is nice to have the house with the garage and big driveway. If I had this house and garage set up back in 2000 when I retired I would probably still have that pristine 81 Spider I bought in Fl. It now resides in another garage about 25 miles from here.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
I'm spending time these days looking for a garage with a house attached. Saw a beauty last weekend. Would easily hold 4 cars, high ceiling, good lighting, even wired for 220V. In addition there was a carport and room for about 6 cars in the driveway and street out front and yes, it even had a house attached.

House who needs a house just a big garage/shop. Hell my dream is to have a C5 cargo transport plane and a big hanger and I will live in a travel trailer in the hanger! The wife may not like it but its my dream right?

I BUY ALFAS email me
. Current 03 156 2.5, 92 164L 19k, Lexus LS 600HL , LX 570 and 2010 E63 AMG Weistec supercharged. My sig is all over the board now.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Someone had been reading too many Dirk Pitt novels.

1994 164 LS 5 Speed
1988 Milano Verde 5 Speed
1960 Giulietta Spider
1959 Giulietta Sprint

1965 Giulia Spider [parts car now]
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 164 FAMILY View Post
House who needs a house just a big garage/shop. Hell my dream is to have a C5 cargo transport plane and a big hanger and I will live in a travel trailer in the hanger! The wife may not like it but its my dream right?
Who needs travel trailer when you have a C5 to live in? Big hanger? For a C5, you would need a gigantic hanger. Heck, who needs a hanger when you can park the travel trailer in the C5. Have you ever seen a C5? Stuff of dreams for sure anyway.
Charles

-'91 164L 5 speed (sold sadly) -'04 Volvo XC70 -'97 Mazda Miata -'04 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 -'07 Honda Odyssey EX-L
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicam View Post
Someone had been reading too many Dirk Pitt novels.
No novels its just a dream that I have had for a while flying around the states buying up Alfas and bringing them back to my hanger.

I BUY ALFAS email me
. Current 03 156 2.5, 92 164L 19k, Lexus LS 600HL , LX 570 and 2010 E63 AMG Weistec supercharged. My sig is all over the board now.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzyD View Post
Who needs travel trailer when you have a C5 to live in? Big hanger? For a C5, you would need a gigantic hanger. Heck, who needs a hanger when you can park the travel trailer in the C5. Have you ever seen a C5? Stuff of dreams for sure anyway.
Charles

My aunt was in charge of the "low pack??" (where they loaded the planes up with "cargo") here at McClellan AFB when it was a military base. When we used to go out there I did see a few but I was young. I have seen them from afar and in movies though. I would just sleep in the plane with a sleeping bag on the floor! http://www.air-and-space.com/1998080...061201%20l.jpg

I BUY ALFAS email me
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
That is very cool.

Clive Cussler writes about a fictional character named Dirk Pitt who has several cars [very collectible of course], several planes and a trailer- all in a large hanger as his "home base".

If several people have had this idea is probably do able.

Good luck.

1994 164 LS 5 Speed
1988 Milano Verde 5 Speed
1960 Giulietta Spider
1959 Giulietta Sprint

1965 Giulia Spider [parts car now]
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
I tell you it sure is nice to have the house with the garage and big driveway.
Back in suburban reality I am very fortunate to have a very overlarge two car garage which would easily fit four small cars, as well as a relatively vast amount of shaded concrete driveway.

It was probably all originally designed in the 60's for two large Pontiacs or similar....

Last weekend I cleared a huge pile of old junk to make way for the merger of ex-BREMMS (need new name) Alfa with Jenny Alfa saved from nearby Jennings State Forest.

Now there is wide open space to work on the recently pulled Jenny engine, continue ongoing woodwork and park the family Ody and Beloved's impeccable Neon.
Yes the three 164's reside out in the frigid FL cold......

Also in the garage is a wealth of good lumber, windsurfers, garden equipment, huge antique workbench, gallons of paint / toxic liquids, other junk and of course parts from five different automotive brand names - Alfa (3 164's), Honda (Ody / Prelude), GM (ex-Caddie), Chrysler (Neon) and BMW 323i.

Quite nearby happens to be our house originally built in about 1884.....

Nice blog Steve.

Last edited by donliznev; 10-22-2010 at 06:29 PM.
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:13 PM

We put an offer in on the garage this afternoon. It would easily hold 4 164's plus room for 3 more in the drive way, 2 on the street and 1 in the car port. It was built for motor homes, so has a high ceiling and is wired for 220V. It is insulated, very well lit and heated. I've spent 6 years working in the 24' X 24' greenhouse... hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It never gets that cold here in the winter, so not too bad. In the summers, I had to quite working when the temp reached 95F. I'm just a wimp I guess. One thing I will miss is the wood floor I put in the greenhouse. I much prefer working on it than concrete.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Garages I have owned with houses attached

I have never been able to pull off owing a detached garage but with houses attached here are a few:

1. Pensacola, FL 1972 my first was a one wide two deep carport under same roof as house. Had Fords under it
2. San Diego, CA 1975 two wide and 1 1/2 deep with a third side workshop with people door. Had same Fords in it.
3. Virginia Beach 1977 two wide 1 deep one side and 2 deep other side, but could get four Fiats and Lancias in it.
4, Orange Park, FL 1995 three wide 2 deep but could get 164, GTV6 and Spider in it.
5. Virginia Beach 2000 one wide and 1 deep if car was no longer than a 164 but couldn't walk around car if garage door was shut. We have now made that small room into a living room for our apartment at beach house.
6. Virginia Beach 2003 two wide and 2 deep but with a three wide and 3 deep driveway OUR CURRENT ALFA RETIREMENT HOME ex-Man Cave.

Now this is a small garage see guy putting away his Fiat 126 I believe it is on our web site here: http://maarc.blogspot.com/2010/08/need-new-garage.html Sure reminds me of our beach house one when I had my 164 in it.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-23-2010 at 03:24 AM.
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Air and Auto Classic Today at Pungo Airport Musuem

Skip with be showing his Duetto and I will be displaying my 164L Black Beauty.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.or...utoOct2010.jpg

Wish us luck today. More to follow.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Thumbs up

GOOD LUCK! Steve

I BUY ALFAS email me
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Well, Larry won a trophy with his 85 Ferrari 512 Boxer and Joe won one with his 57 Alfa Spider. Skip and I just had a good time. It was a great day in the autumn sun.

Sam won peoples choice with his Sunoco race Porche.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode