METRO Cruise, August 29th, 2009 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

METRO Cruise, August 29th, 2009

The West Michigan METRO CRUISE is a great car event, free for all cars & drivers, and all spectators whom gather along the corso of 28th Street to watch and see the thousands of cool rides parading by. This annual event draws some 380,000 spectators and about 15,000 hot rods, foreign marques, and exotic restored classics and antiques of all types, including drivers. It was held last Saturday, August 29th, noonish til the past dark, up und down all 15 miles of 28th Street through Grandville, Wyoming, Grand Rapids to Cascade, Michigan.

It has Venue spots for a show of high-end classic and antique collectible cars, also to included a Swap Meet, a Car Corral, a Safety City for families to learn all about car and family safety, a Manufacturer's Midway, a Classic Car Auction, Entertainment Stages, Hop-Off Competitions and more.

West Mich Alfa Owners got together at the casually designated Italiano Car Park, along with the Lancia-Fiat Club, located at Pietro's Italian Restaurante, 2780 Birchcrest, 1/2 block west of Breton & 28th St., turn right up Birchcrest drive, just past Tile Store on North side of 28th.

The lot affords a nice raised view of passing classico vehicles on parade on 28th, and Pietro's great food and thirsty bar right there; Nostra Casa ‘e Vostra Casa.

Prior to the big evento of the METRO Cruise, I washed the car, dried it and gave a light coating of Meguiar's Gold Class wax out so it shined nice enough to look like new, and wiped Black ice inside, so it was the old in & out once over; smells like rich dead cows inside with all new leather, wiped down dash & tires with shine preservative..which 21st century as it is, actually has a plastic component in the formula (black ice?) to renew dash. Love the smell of polymers in the morning.

Went into work orifice for momento; went over to FOX Kia/Hyundia about noonish, no one there, VIP spectator stands empty, signed in, got the free t-shirt…no food in sight, went back to 29th and down to Breton to get out on 28th Street by Pietro's Restaurant…Mark wasn’t there, went inside & had a Moretti La Rossa, waited, Mark's brother Bruce showed up & met his girlfriend, we called Sparky & he was with Scott (!) at Harvey Cadillac for the Caddy show, then he came right down (minus Scott; miss talking to ever informative Scott: he was there w/my late sister Patty, my brother Tom, and Mark at Waterveliet Raceway in 1976 when I took my pristine new GTV 2000 airborne, yes like practiced AR Ranger, so way-back we go)….nice chitchat talk-talk-talk…there were 4-5 Fiats & owners from the FLU (Ultra Radical Fiat~Lancia Unlimited Club)…and Mark had a nice friend Randy with him chumming around…besides Mark's '66 Guilia Sprint GT, blk/red and his powder blue/white restored Fiat Multipla, there were assortment of Fiats 124 Spider, X 1/9, 124 Pini coupe, etc. Nice group of cars and people.
We all went in and had lunch at Pietro’s and was molto benni excellanti?! Yet, was SO DARK in there it was annoying: remind me to carry a LED flashlight with, next time? …really pretty steady-busy with diners, too. Great to see that. Since mein home made pizza was shambles last week, I had wood oven pizza with strewn tomatoes, pepperoni & anchovy...huge 11-12" not so personal thin crust, wonderfully rich and expressive basil clad pie. Chow/ciao, is a bargain at $7.49, and I absolutely demolished the whole thing. ..but that was it for carbs for the day.

I wish to heck about 5 more Alfas & our members had shown up there; do I have to pay for their gas? Ha... Oh well, we all get busy with life, yes? I was going to do an call event Friday night but I fell asleep at 830 so awfully tired from work!!
Yes, a Friday night, din, wine, sheep, er sleep @830...it happens.

But, the Metro Cruise crowd size up & down the 15 miles of 28th street from Grandville to Cascade, still estimated at around 150,000 regardless of the cool cloudy weather, and the number of cars parading back and forth, near 10,000! What an great interesting & constantly changing event …always something new to see…really the weather 65d, cool, cloudy, a touch too much breeze & occasional misty just made it very tolerable venue versus the baking heat wave of last year? Last year it was 95d and I was only outside for 5 min at a time, wrapped in a damp yurt for protection.

After lunch we followed Mark back to his lair in the classic garage storage back dealer bldg... After he parked and put up the ’47 Jaguar, we helped him disassemble off a perfect light blue metallic hood (bonnet) off a equally perfecto 1968 Jag XKE drop head (convertible). Having done this 6-8 times in der past, I help with calling shots, himself wrenching...the book didn't say anything about releasing off bushing -si, is there regardless. He did a really great job per usual. We then carried the monstrous #165 pound Forbes Egg-like delicate structure across the garage to carefully put it out of the way…he’ll be doing some diagnostica work for owner to fix oil leak. “Oil leak” I said, “all Jag’s leak oil…until they’re warm –like Alfa’s!”

The garage ist delights itself, housing a veritable Willy Wonka of automobilia exotica for a lost 20 yr old brain somehow still attached & semi-functioning to gent gearhead like mein ownself, ja? There is amongst the 50+ assortment aof nice cars: a ’66 GTO 49,000 miles perfecto original driver, like my 1967 GTO convertible (what am I goofy? for selling it) and original 1968 GT500 Shelby Mustang; I could hardly catch my breath at times, the air was so rare. …Oh my.

We story-told our way around the whole garage. Absolutely a blast…then back to stand outside watch the show and kibitz at Pietro’s…they are so nice to provide a spot & we should do a West Michigan Alfa Romeo Owners meet there for dinner!

Then it was 4 pm and my tether was about to be re-activated (yes, my Italian bride has a remote), and I had to buy 6-20 more btls of wine that Dave had on speciale at GB Russo's… so I left to go shop, go home and be bored & berated the rest of the weekend…Ha & HiHo.
On the moving Metro Cruise show on 28th Street, that Saturday I saw a wht/blue stripe Ford GT, a white Countach, Bentley Cont GT silver & a granite Flying Spur, two Pantera’s, one Chinese fire orange-ish another black, group 5 fairings, 1983 308 GTS blk/blk, approx. 4,000 matching number Chevelle 396’s (apparently all worth $90,000 a piece at Barrett-Jackson Circus Auction), saw the new silver Aston DB9 again on Sunday, and a ’00 Aston DB7 Vantage, Brit Racing Green/blk, 29K miles for $45k ask money ---what a mechanical nightmare on 4 wheels, unless thou be retired and ‘handy’ engineer skilled like unto our WMARO member Bruce?

Really, if'n the weather had been as lovely as Sunday's was, it would’ve been a out ‘till 9-11 at night type worthy event –it is still such a blast!

Next year we’ll have to have one of those free standing pop-up awnings und hang on our 9' ALFA banner, get more members there (gas money? free food?) and a keg of Pironi birra/beer, platters of hors d’oeuvres e anti pasta, and a couple pizzas from Pietro's, and really throw a wing-ding?

Si – a plan?

Last edited by gtv_john; 09-01-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: bad eyes, bad German creeps into writing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hey John,
Good to see you posting on the BB. The cruise sounds like an interesting event. Sorry to have missed it. We were a little busy that weekend, though, what with moving and all. Now that we are installed here in Kenosha we'll have to arrange to get across the Lake for a visit with the old gang.
Best,

Bob A.
Kenosha, WI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Bob!

What a great idea! Historic races at Road America sounds like perfecto tie in?

Email me ~ Best to both of you/john gtv_john groth

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to xflowgolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv_john View Post
West Mich Alfa Owners got together at the casually designated Italiano Car Park, along with the Lancia-Fiat Club, located at Pietro's Italian Restaurante, 2780 Birchcrest, 1/2 block west of Breton & 28th St., turn right up Birchcrest drive, just past Tile Store on North side of 28th....

Next year we’ll have to have one of those free standing pop-up awnings und hang on our 9' ALFA banner, get more members there (gas money? free food?)

Si – a plan?

anyone planning to attend the 2010 Metro Cruise this weekend (8/28)?

It looks like the Lancia ~ Fiat club is planning on meeting at Pietro's again. It would be nice to see some Alfa's out at this location. I believe my dad is planning on bringing his supercharged GTV6 out.

-Nick V
no alfas in my stable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xflowgolf; 08-24-2010 at 07:00 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

SUPERCHARGED GTV6? Wow!

As 8 yr long time gtv6 owner, I would love to see your Dad's 'GTV6 Supercharged' ...what a great addition to such a gem of an engine, one that certainly take the xtra stresses, yes?

Hope to see you there at Pietro's 10ish til 2pm for me, then my Sposo drags me to Holland for what I have no idea..

john
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to xflowgolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv_john View Post
As 8 yr long time gtv6 owner, I would love to see your Dad's 'GTV6 Supercharged' ...what a great addition to such a gem of an engine, one that certainly take the xtra stresses, yes?

Hope to see you there at Pietro's 10ish til 2pm for me
Very good. He will be there... I will try to stop down for a bit. I will mainly be parked with a group of VW enthusiasts farther west but will try to make my way down for a bit. Is that your red GTV6 in your avatar picture?

Yes his GTV6 is a blast to drive with a bit of boost. I made a new "events" thread for this year's event, but has not seen any replies. There is however a picture of his car there.

Italian Car Park @ Metro Cruise (Grand Rapids, MI) 8/28

Take care,

-Nick V
no alfas in my stable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Nick~
That red avatar "I wish!" car ist one of the few, the proud GTV-8's 4 cams (ala Montreal) floating around der Nederlands & Belgium circa late 80's early 90's; result special importer build up modification. My '86 blk/tan GTV-6, a former Craig Mornigstar's drive when he was AR-USA dealer rep, is long gone as is my '74 GTV 2000 inezione. I am now stalking gtv6 in Illinois, and would also pounce on 75-79 Alfetta Sport sedan if I could find a decent one..HiHo.

Enjoy the cruise. john

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode