Speedboats - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Speedboats

Recently I could purchase an old program for a European speedboat GP on the "Lago di Lugano" in 1954. I hope some of you like the scans....

The boat type on the first two photos seems to have the grille of a tipo 158/9 Alfetta. Is it indeed equipped with an Alfa engine?
I heared of such a boat, but couldn't find photos.

The other two photos look like "Laura 1", but I am missing the Quadrifoglio sticker on the hood that I noticed on all photos of the Laura boats....

Best regards
Ciao Carlo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Oops, sorry for the double post! Obviously I hit the button too early...
This here is edited better
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Alfa Speedboat

A friend from New Zealand,on a recent visit told me of a Alfa speed boat that he had seen ,although he had no details . After a little digging around I found the speedboat that he referred to, it is in fact a hydroplane called "Little Cracker" and she certainly is a little cracker she's powered by an Alfa Romeo 3 litre v6 24valve engine producing 290hp @8000rpm.The hydroplane holds a number of Australasian and New Zealand hydroplane records at between 202.776kph to 204.326 kph .
There is a web site for the team. http://www.littlecracker.com/ach.html
I post a few photos below to whet the appetite.
Charley
Attached Images

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 AM

Idroscivolante T108

At this years Venice Boat Show , an interesting craft made its appearance after a seven month reconstruction by the Dalla Pieta boatyard of Venice – Malcontenta. The boat is Idroscrivolante T108 powered by an Alfa Romeo 9 cylinder radial aircraft engine.
The T108 Idro participated in the famous Pavia –Venezia race between the years 1933 and 1938 , piloted by Colonel Prospero Freri. These were the years that the race was dominated by Theo Rossi ( 1933, 1934,1935) of vermouth fame and Col.Renato Donati (1936,1937) who also held the world altitude record at that time in the Alfa powered Caproni Ca.113.AQ.
The attached photos show the original condition of the boat ,as it was delivered to the yard and the beautiful finished item, the reconstruction of which was sponsored by the yard itself.
The T108 actually belongs to the Civic Museum of Naval Education Milan and will be displayed and stored at the Leonardo da Vinci museum in Milan.
This of course not the only boat powered by an Alfa Romeo aircraft engine probably the most famous being the Sant’ Ambrogio 11 of Achille Castoldi which featured an Alfa Romeo AR RA 1000 rated at 1.800hp and was capable of at least 124MPH.
Details of Idroscivolante T108
Weight 1.5t
Depth 7.95m
Width 2.80m
Skate Width 0.80m
Speed 130 km/h
Engine 9cyl Alfa romeo.

For more details see….
Dalla Pietà Yachts — architettura nautica
http://www.altomareblu.com/?p=4229
Attached Images

Last edited by charley; 07-18-2010 at 02:45 PM.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Lightbulb

On another thread there was a pic showing a partial view of the engine and struts, but not the floats.

Couldn't figure it out.------

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:29 AM

Man! that has "Hey y'all watch this!!" written all over it. You would have to be out of your mind (or Italian/Latino/Hillbilly) to get into something with whirling blades at that speed.
Paul

The meek shall inherit the rear view mirror.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
79 Alfetta GTV(smooshed and ground up)
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
At this years Venice Boat Show , an interesting craft made its appearance after a seven month reconstruction by the Dalla Pieta boatyard of Venice – Malcontenta. The boat is Idroscrivolante T108 powered by an Alfa Romeo 9 cylinder radial aircraft engine.
The T108 Idro participated in the famous Pavia –Venezia race between the years 1933 and 1938 , piloted by Colonel Prospero Freri. These were the years that the race was dominated by Theo Rossi ( 1933, 1934,1935) of vermouth fame and Col.Renato Donati (1936,1937) who also held the world altitude record at that time in the Alfa powered Caproni Ca.113.AQ.
The attached photos show the original condition of the boat ,as it was delivered to the yard and the beautiful finished item, the reconstruction of which was sponsored by the yard itself.
The T108 actually belongs to the Civic Museum of Naval Education Milan and will be displayed and stored at the Leonardo da Vinci museum in Milan.
This of course not the only boat powered by an Alfa Romeo aircraft engine probably the most famous being the Sant’ Ambrogio 11 of Achille Castoldi which featured an Alfa Romeo AR RA 1000 rated at 1.800hp and was capable of at least 124MPH.
Details of Idroscivolante T108
Weight 1.5t
Depth 7.95m
Width 2.80m
Skate Width 0.80m
Speed 130 km/h
Engine 9cyl Alfa romeo.
Many thanks for these very interesting infos!
Now I know some more concerning this photo that I once purchased.

My first thought was that they built this machine to get rid of the pigeons and rats in Venice, lol

Best regards
Ciao Carlo
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 AM

Assuming there was only one built (seems probable), it used at least three very different kinds of engine cowling, according to the pictures here. Probably a hint at dating the various pictures.

Carlo, you may know that the pic you bought is in the Alfa Romeo Immagini book.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
That boat is as well hosted in the Leonardo da Vinci Science museum, albeit in the basement.
Attached Images

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Carlo, you may know that the pic you bought is in the Alfa Romeo Immagini book.
Of course you're right, but I purchased the photo before I found an affordable copy of the Immagini book
Btw, when I visited Jack recently, we missed each other just for a few minutes
Next time we'll make do better!

Best regards
Ciao Carlo
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Idro

Hi Carlo,
Can I draw your attention to the photo that you posted of the idro and point out a few differences to the IDRO that I originally posted. The Idro in your photo has a platform stretched between the floats ,however this may be merely cosmetic. The idro in my posting has at various times a spinner and a Townsend ring ,it is also fitted with a 2 bladed prop. Probably the most important difference is what is written on the back of your photo , it states that the Idro is fitted with an AR Lynx engine which when you check the photo it clearly is ,as the Lynx is a 7 cylinder engine, however the engine on my orignal posting ,is, as I stated in the posting a 9 cylinder engine . This leaves us with a number of possibilities , either this is the same Idro upgraded from a 7 to a 9 cylinder Alfa motor , or it is a completely differrent boat .
There were in fact more than one of these boats that took part in the Pavia -Venezia race , That would explain the lettering on the side of your boat, so could this be another boat.? They were banned from the race post WW11.
Charley
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Admin
Administrator

There are some good photos on this previous Alfa Romeo boat thread. Perhaps we should combine these threads together?

Alfa Romeo Boats

Simon Mestas
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:17 AM

Lynx powered hidro

This hidro was another boat than the 108. It participated to the Pavia Venezia Raid in 1931.
In the attachment you can see the 1/43 scale model of it.
ciao.
Attached Images

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM

lol

on the top photo on the page the paper on the boat reads:'gay n proud" hahahahhahahah
Also WHAT if the prop on the speedboat accidently hit the water if that thing turned over?
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-GR View Post
on the top photo on the page the paper on the boat reads:'gay n proud" hahahahhahahah
Also WHAT if the prop on the speedboat accidently hit the water if that thing turned over?
This is fascinating reading!
I was wondering the same thing, how did they control the plane of the boat? (oxymoron - plane, boat?)
If one was the pilot of the boat, what was the other seat for? Balance? Mechanic?

I want one of those Abbate boats! that might be wickedly fast on the water. Abbate Boats I am wondering if this was Tullio's first boat? Abbate builds some fast boats and awesome boats, but a price tag to match!

I want to know how they get that horsepower out of that 24v engine on the "Firecracker".

Last edited by velocedoc; 07-04-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: added a link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode