Speedboats - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 AM

Garage
Sant' Ambrogio Hydro Plane

Achille Castoldi [1949]

Italian Speedboat Star to Compete in U. S.
By Paolo Costa

Achille Castoldi adjusts his crash helmet before starting on an early morning trial with Sant' Ambrogio II. Jo'-Jo', the pet dachshund, hopes for an invitation to go along.

Sant' Ambrogio II, the most powerful speedboat in Europe, reported to have done 124 mph in a test run.

Achille Castoldi, the top-flight Italian and European speedboat are, is completing preparations for his forthcoming tour of the United States, where he will take part with his Sant' Ambrogio II in some of the most important competitions.

Castoldi intended to compete in the Gold Cup race and in the Detroit Marathon, but two unfortunate incidents damaged the powerful boat to such an extent that participation became impossible. Castoldi now claims that he is fully determined to make up for his bad luck in future races.

American motor-boat competitions are surrounded in Italy by an atmosphere of legend. Races based on the free formula, that is without power limitations, cannot practically be held in Europe unless Americans are participating, as Castoldi is the only European racer who possesses a modern, really powerful boat. A second one is reported to be under construction in England for Sir Malcolm Campbell's son.

Castoldi is the proud owner of a boat smaller than Sant' Ambrogio and belonging to the class under 450 kilos.

This comparatively tiny boat however has 300 h.p. and a speed of up to 85 miles; it has a 1500 cc. motor which is the same with which the famous Alfa Romeo Alfetta cars are equipped. The boat has been named Arno II, the same engine mounted on a thinner, lighter boat covered the mile at an average speed of over 94 miles, thus establishing the world record for the class under 450 kg.

Sant' Ambrogio however is the boat that should interest American experts and fans for its exceptional features. It has an Alfa Romeo D.B. aircraft engine of the 12-cylinder, 34 liters type, and is closely similar to Sant' Ambrogio I with which Castoldi took part in the 1948 Gold Cup race. It weighs 2.8 metric tons without passengers, gas or oil and its tanks hold 1.4 tons of gas. The engine's power is 1,800 H.P., and although Castoldi is extremely uncommunicative on the matter it is understood that Sant' Ambrogio II exceeded, 120 m.p.h. in trial runs. It has been entered so far, in only a single competition, the Coppa dell'Alleanza on Lake Garda, and won without meeting real opposition.

Castoldi was testing Sant' Ambrogio last May at Milan's artificial seaplane base when the shaft where the two coaxial propellers are fixed suddenly broke loose. The boat, then reportedly running at over 124 m.p.h. swerved sharply and overturned. Castoldi remained wader water, but luckily did not faint and after a short while he was seen swimming near the overturned boat. Within a week he was well again, but when he resumed training in preparation for the Detroit marathon, Sant'Ambrogio II was found to be out of balance and unable to speed with the required stability, one of its peculiar features. Now the hull has been rebuilt at record-breaking speed and Castoldi is confident he can test it in time for American competition next season.

He is a sincere admirer of Guy Lombardo, Dan Arena and Foster and is eager to battle it out with the top American stars and boats.

Castoldi is an exceptional sportsman, and his friends claim he would rather give up his industrial activity than his sport. He is the owner of a textile concern and the president of a maritime recovery society that recently salvaged the largest Italian liner Conte Grande. He has a degree of chemical science and one of natural science. But the 45-year-old industrialist and scientist is first of all a sportsman. At 21 he was a university world champion of sculling, practised motorcycling, track events, aviation and fencing, and is still a good golf player. But he loves motor boating and reserves all his free hours for his favorite sport. He hopes to go to America and is determined next year to enter all important American competitions. This is one of Castoldi's two major objectives, the other being the world record held by the late Sir Malcolm Campbell. The Italian ace has reasonable hopes that he can establish the new record before long.

(Reprinted from Motor Boating, October 1949, pp.40, 82)

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Admin
Administrator

Christopher,

Those links, info, and images are all amazing!! Great posts.

Simon Mestas
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Garage
Thanks Simon, I was digging around for something else and stumbled into a gold mine. Beautiful boats, unfortunately in hydroplanes there is the element of risk and glory with the fine line between both as evidenced by the many drivers who die. I was amazed at the Bi-motore boat. More amazing that Alfa Romeo has so little chronicled on their efforts for records on the water.

post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM

Here is an interesting boat I found thats up for sale.

Marreyt Classics - Twin Cam

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

69 GTV
66 Mustang GTK FB
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twincam4 View Post
Here is an interesting boat I found thats up for sale.

Marreyt Classics - Twin Cam
There's a whole thread on this boat from about 3 years ago. I believe AlfaBB played a significant role in uncovering its origins.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now being restored in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Found the article I put together in 2002 regarding Steve Linn and Double Dragon. Steve sustained major injuries in a boat flip or crash last year, apparently on Orchard Lake (about three miles from our home) and has been recovering since.

From reading histories and news, Gold Cup racing on this side of the pond began in Detroit, evolving from rum runners using modified Packard engines in the 1920s. The sport is still locally popular and several races at different venues are with a handful of miles each summer.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Double Dragon_LoRes.pdf (160.8 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by MotorCityDuetto; 08-10-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: corrected typo
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityDuetto View Post
From reading histories and news, Gold Cup racing on this side of the pong began in Detroit, evolving from rum runners using modified Packard engines in the 1920s. The sport is still locally popular and several races at different venues are with a handful of miles each summer.
I've heard the same regarding the origins of racing in and around Detroit. As a kid, I used to watch an inland lakes marathon just south of the U.P. every summer. The boats were more modest (top speeds of 60 or so) but they were small, light weight, and one hell of a lot of fun. Entry age for racing was 12 years old so you might imagine it was every kid's dream. Never raced but still very exciting to watch these little boats going full out, in 2-way traffic, down some very narrow rivers between lakes.

John
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Detroit Alfa Hydroplane

If you want to see a video of an Alfa-powered hydroplane in action, watch this (the driver, Steve Linn, was badly injured shortly after making this video but has since recovered).

post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Some new pictures! :-)
I couldn'believe my eyes when I saw this thing this weekend! Very cool machine!!

1) Ferrari 308 GTB QV 2) MG B GT 3) Mazda MX5 4) BMW 320Ci
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Garage
WOW! This really does exist. There was a model of this posted somewhere, can't remember exactly. Any word on who owns this and if it runs? What else was in the hanger?
* I re-read this thread and the pictures of this boat are on the first page along with the model* If this was restored as by the pictures on the first page, when was this picture taken in the Lake Como hanger?

Last edited by velocedoc; 04-28-2010 at 11:49 PM.
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Admin
Administrator

Now thats AWESOME!!

Simon Mestas
post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 AM

I took these pictures last saturday.
I was there for concorso Villa d'Este, but went for a small plane-ride with my girlfriend first.
That's when we saw this fantastic boat!

There are some more pictures of the boat here (and 'some' cars, but you guys won't mind, I presume :-) )
http://www.gummen.org/tmp/villadeste2010.html

1) Ferrari 308 GTB QV 2) MG B GT 3) Mazda MX5 4) BMW 320Ci
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Garage
Awesome

what a feast!

[B]1985 Spider Veloce (Isabella),[/B]
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Dart

A very rare piece of film containing shots of the Sonny Levi designed DART twin AR Montreal powered boat is now on you tube see below.....

Bellaria Igea Marina Story - Car Videos on StreetFire

I also post a few photos prior to the boats demise.

For the full history of this remarkable boat check out the article on Altomare blau.

http://www.altomareblu.com/?p=1255
Attached Images

Last edited by charley; 07-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Garage
From what I was reading Sr. Carlo Chiti of Autodelta was the leader behind the use of the Montreal engines in the Dart. In the biography of Sr. Chiti in Chiti Gran Prix by Piero Cassuci, the book is mostly about his life and a large component was about his time at Alfa Romeo. In the back of the book on pg. 108 lists the 3 liter Montreal engine using Spica injection having 310 hp at 8500 rpm. The bore and stroke was 86 x 64.5

The 2.5 Montreal engine was 270 hp at 8500 rpm with a bore and stroke of 78 x 64.5 using either Spica or Lucas injection.

The article on altomareblu said that the boat was unstable at high speed and they rebuilt the boat to make it longer and even working on the boat hull to make it go faster right up to race time. (if I got my translation correct)

In 1970 the book lists a 115.04M engine with a bore and stroke of 90x78 4 liter engine with 520 hp at 10,000 rpm, twin cam 4 valves per cylinder, Lucas injection for use in a marine application.

The book shows no boats or mention of what projects he worked on in regards to marine applications.

Thank you for posting this!

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode