Airborne alfas - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Airborne Alfas

How about an ALFA powered autogyro...........
Charley
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I have seen that entry relating to the Campini-Caproni jet (?) powered aircraft ,I believe that it may be in error and that the compressor engine was in fast an Isotta-Fraschini and not an Alfa. There were a couple of prototypes and a static ground test example so of course it is possible that one of these was fitted with an Alfa motor.
Charley
The "Asso" engine was in fact an Isotta Fraschini, not an Alfa:

About the Cant Z1018, I thought that the upper air intake was indeed a feature of the AR 135. You seem well documented, thus I stand corrected.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 AM

I found this interesting...

"Alfa-Romeo were involved in many engine-related projects at this time, and they were then an independent company, with fairly sophisticated facilities. The company produced nice 6 cyl and V12 engines, unusually of two-stroke operation with vertical exhaust valves in the heads, and inlet through ports in the cylinder walls, fed by a scavenge blower driven off the front of the crankshaft. The engines shared many common components to keep production costs down, with cylinders of 95mm bore and 130mm stroke, giving a displacement of 5.5 litres and 11.00 litres (338 and 677 cu ins) respectively. Power outputs of 110 hp for the straight-six, and up to 350 hp at 1900 rpm for the V12. Interesting construction features included needle roller big ends, wet liners and composite pistons with stainless-steel crowns. The designer is stated as being a Mr Ricart."

www.oldengine.org/.../diesel/Duxford/Aviat5.htm
Attached Images

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM

More interesting stuff. Evidently, the 18 cyl Alfa 135 motors were even supplied to the Luftwaffe for use in the FW Condors...

www.channel4.com/.../retrospective/5654/1

Sorry, the link doesn't work, but search "Alfa Romeo Retrospective", and you'll find it.
Attached Images

Last edited by othercarsaford; 09-21-2007 at 09:02 AM.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by othercarsaford View Post
More interesting stuff. Evidently, the 18 cyl Alfa 135 motors were even supplied to the Luftwaffe for use in the FW Condors...
I'm still waiting for a solid evidence the engines were actually fitted to FW 200s, but it is said so indeed.
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:43 PM

airborne alfas

My impression is that only one example of the FW200 was actually flown with the AR 135 motors . Other German aircraft to fly with alfa power were a single JU52 used by ALA Littoria on transalpine routes fitted with 3-AR126rc.34 between 1935-1944. One other German ,although Italian built aircraft to fly was the Dornier Wal and Super Wal which flew with Alfa built Jupiter motors 2 on the Wal and 4 onthe super.( the proto Wal and early production types were Italian built as Germany was forbidden to build such aircraft at the time . The Wal seems to have been fitted with every engine under the sun at various stages)
Charley
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 AM

Do any of these historic planes still exist in museums or anywhere accessable?
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Airborne Alfas

A number of AR powered aircraft exist in Italian Museums to this day including Alfa's own museum which displays one record breaking aircraft and an variety of motors and Alfa props.
the following Museums also have a wide range of AR powered and other aircraft on display.
Italian Airforce Museum ,Vigna di Valle, Roma

Museo Aeronautico caproni di Taledo ,Trento

Museo Nazionale Della Scienza e Della Tecnica, Milano,
The caproni Museum certainly has its own website and the Airforce museum should be accessed via the Italian Air Ministry site.
A number of years ago the old Alfa Museum site had a 360 degree QuickTime
virtual tour of the museum . This now seems to have disappeared into the ether but perhaps a way could be found to add thisto the Abb site
harley
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Alfa Romeo Jet

I can't read Italian, but what I can see here seems to say Alfa Romeo built a jet engine (or, they had a hand in it somehow)!

(Based on a Dual Overhead Cam 4 no doubt! )

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
http://www.regiamarina.net/arsenals/...jet/jet_it.htm

Tipo - Campini-Caproni
Motori - Alfa Romeo Asso L.121 RC40
Potenza - hp 900

Il prototipo n.1 del Campini - Caproni prevedeva un sistema di propulsione capace di convogliare e comprimere dinamicamente l'aria grazie al moto relativo dell'aereo, successivamente l'aria subiva una seconda compressione ad opera di un compressore assiale a tre stadi accoppiato meccanicamente ad un motore a scoppio aeronautico (un Alfa Romeo Asso L.121 RC40 da 900 Hp), all'uscita del compressore l'aria veniva riscaldata mediante bruciatori esterni e successivamente fatta riespandere attraverso un ugello convergente-divergente a sezione variabile mediante una spina mobile tipo Pelton che generava una spinta pari a 750 kg.
Attached Images

1981 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 USA
1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 AM

airborne alfas

I am afraid that you are qouting from the same incorrect Regia Marine site that attributes the Campini aircrafts engine to Alfa ,when as shown above the ASSO engine is in fact an Isotta-Fraschini motor.
Charley
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Once again, foiled. I try to add interesting information for everyone, and fall on my face. Thanks for the correction. Darn.

It is a cool plane though.

1981 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 USA
1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Garage
I would sell my collection of Alfa cars and parts to own an Alfa powered airplane, didn't matter if it flew or not, just owning it gives one bragging rights. If the song of an Alfa spider is sweet, imagine the sound of the Alfa engine in the air...that would be something to hear. I wonder if there is a barn in Italy...
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
How about an ALFA powered autogyro...........
Charley
That looks like a marvellous project...I have always looked at the Alfa boxer motor when its been sitting on the workshop floor and said it would make a good aircraft engine.
Any particular modifications needed to make it 'airworthy'? The exhaust looks somewhat un-restricted, just what the boxer prefers. Is it a 1.7L running 40mm IDF's? Where are you located?

- '77 Sud Ti
- '88 series II 33 1.7
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Airborne Alfas

Not mine I am afraid ,Just something that I stumbled upon .no info unfortunatly.
Charley
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Garage
That is a picture of Fred DiMatteo with the Benson Gyrocopter. I think that might have been one of his pet projects before he passed away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode