New Alfa owner AR8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

New Alfa owner AR8

I just purchased this vehicle from a junkyard. I don't have possession of it yet as it is being shipped to me in Wisconsin from out west. I
have spent countless hours researching these things and can't seem to find any info on them . Supposedly it has a "blown" engine. Thats all the details I could get. Supposedly everything else mechanically was in good shape when it blew. I found the previous owners blog where he shipped it to New York from Italy and then drove it to Alaska in early 2015. He left Alaska in July and the engine blew on the way back to New York, unfortunately customs would not give him an extension on his visa to wait for the engine repair so it was junked. I have been in contact with the previous owner. I have not found anywhere online a listing that said what engine came in these. But I did find a local craigslist ad with the engine pictured below. Supposedly the engine on the pallet is a Renault 90hp brand new crate engine! Looking at the timing cover and the timing cover in the picture of the van engine compartment it sure appears to be the same. But I have not found any listing of a renault engine ever coming in these trucks. Anybody familiar with these or if this could be possible?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:39 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Hi Tyler, welcome to AlfaBB!

You may want to send the chassis number to Marco Fazio at CentroDocumentazione@AlfaRomeo.com and ask if they have any information and/or service manuals for this model -- or if he could direct you to a source of such information.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Great, will do, thank you

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:24 AM

Garage
Hello, nice find!
A brief outline from what I read in the Alfa camion book;
Your camper is basically a FIAT ducato/daily line of vehicles built by Arveco, the comercial division of Alfa, in part of the Sud factory.
The engine is a SOFIM unit, a joint venture of Fiat & Renault.
Reanult's Saviem line of commercials also ran these engines.
So, chances are you might have hit pay-dirt!
Best regards, Vince. '61 Romeo2 van.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM

Last page of AR8 catalogue showing the Sofim unit fitted..
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
FYI, as I was rummaging through some of my files, and came across two parts catalog microfiches for the AR8 Turbo (in Italian language) that I bought on eBay several years ago:

Part No. 60495179: AR8 TURBO PARTI DI RICAMBIO (MECCANICA), 1a Ed., 1-1985, Fiat Auto S.P.A. Torino, D.C. Direz.Post-Vendita.
Part No. 60495180: AR8 TURBO PARTI DI RICAMBIO (CARROZZERIA), 1a Ed., 1-1985, Fiat Auto S.P.A. Torino, D.C. Direz.Post-Vendita.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Question almost two years

Hey Tyler,
I know it's been a while since you originally posted the AR8. could you possibly give an up date of your progress, I'm curious if no one else! and I'm sure there IS another interested on the AR8?!?

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21
Greg
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Me too. How's it going with the van?

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
The AR 8 is a badged engineered IVECO DAILY. IVECO is a Fiat owned truck and panel van company. Read about IVECO here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco
The Fiat Ducato is not a part of IVECO but uses the Sofim engines. Fiat Commercial vehicles are sold by the Fiat Auto dealer network.
Peugoėt and Citroen sell the Ducato but with other model names.

Last edited by Erik; 10-17-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode