Alfa Romeo Bus ?? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo Bus ??

I found this picture of a bus. It does look a lot like the EIAR - bus and the C.I.T. - bus both based on Alfa Romeo buses.
The C.I.T. is done by Viberti, but I don't remember who did the EIAR.
Although there is a ressemblance, I'm not sure the SAV - bus is also Alfa Romeo based.
Anyone knows more ?
Ronny
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:23 AM

Ronny,

Not absolute sure, but i believe one can distinguish the Alfa Romeo logo as on the prewar cars and trucks on the nose. If I look at it, it appears that the name is at the lower part of the grill.
If you have the picture in a higher resolution you might be able to zoom in on this.

I have nothing on the SAV autobus company. Are you able to tell what is on the site of the bus? It resemble the CIT , but I believe it is different.

Good luck,

Jelle
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Jelle,

Here's where I found it:
SAN VINCENZO - ieri e oggi - FOTO STORICHE a confronto: settembre 2009
Almost at the bottom.
I enlarged the grill and text on the side:
Attached Images

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM

@AlfaRonny the EIAR Alfa Romeo bus was designed by Mario Revelli de Beaumont for Viberti. The picture of the bus you posted indeed looks like a Viberti bodied 500, but I wouldn't put my hand in a fire for that. Try googling the bus service this vehicle was driving for and you might find dome additional information. Possibly another user on this forum (who also lives in Belgium) can give you a conclusive answer. "GTV2000" and "ar110af" are the names he uses if I remember correctly. Good luck on your search.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_spyder View Post
I have nothing on the SAV autobus company. Are you able to tell what is on the site of the bus?
SAV might still exist. Here's the web site of an autobus company with the same name in Cuneo. Maybe contacting them and asking them about their history reveals more information about the type of bus they used.

The caption of the original image (see here) reads "Il Bus della Solvay da San Carlo" (both Solvay and San Carlo are south of Livorno and near San Vincenzo). I'm guessing the script on the side of the bus may read something like "Galdi Davide - San Vinzenzo" (which might be the name of the owner or operator of the bus).

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 AM

In the region where the bus is pictured there is a company that has operated since 1962: "Societa Autostrada Valdostone".
Furthermore there was a comapany called "Societa della Autostrada di Venezia e Padova" which has been in business since 1928

These companies were both operating in the Venice - Padova region, where the picture was taken. I believe that it would be the "Societa Autostrada Valdostone", however that would place the picture later than 1962?

I have not found any other pictures of the bus. The enlargements of the picture that Ronny provided reduces my believe that the script is Alfa Romeo in the grill.

regards,

Jelle
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_spyder View Post
In the region where the bus is pictured there is a company that has operated since 1962: "Societa Autostrada Valdostone".
Furthermore there was a comapany called "Societa della Autostrada di Venezia e Padova" which has been in business since 1928

These companies were both operating in the Venice - Padova region, where the picture was taken. I believe that it would be the "Societa Autostrada Valdostone", however that would place the picture later than 1962?

I have not found any other pictures of the bus. The enlargements of the picture that Ronny provided reduces my believe that the script is Alfa Romeo in the grill.

regards,

Jelle
How did you conclude the picture was taken in the Venice-Padova region when the link and all pictures shown there point to San Vinzenco and the central Etruscan coast?

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Well, indeed tubut is right about the location. Solvay is a huge chemical company of Belgian origin, still active worldwide, which created ex nihilo a plant and a village with it in the Piombino area, on Tuscan coast. (BTW, it also polluted the sea and the people around for 50 years in an inbelievable way).

Yet, while the SAV acronym related to the Venice-Padova motorways seems to me unrelated, I'm not convinced that the link found for a company based in Cuneo could be relevant for the period implied by those busses style and construction either. Moreover, that SAV RENTS busses, it doesn't organize regular lines.

Such companies running pretty local lines have been numerous over time.

As for the identification of the chassis, the lookalike design of the coachwork say pretty little about that. It's a matter of trends, patents, aerodynamics as intended at the moment etc., while the various existing chassis were similar enough as to receive the bodies at the will of the customer.

The badge would tell, and it doesn't look much Alfa to me. Viberti's chrome script, albeit not very visible here, is probable instead.

Recently, I saved this (watermarked) picture from an eBay listing. It's Viberti, as the script reads, and the caption here says it's indeed an Alfa 500 chassis.

But notice the difference of headlights: the EIAR design is a futuristic '30s design, when even on sporstcars the headlighs were stilla apart, as they are on the other bus, and still differtently on mine here. The faired headlights of the other one look more 40s-50s to me, which is more a fashion of the time and doesn't compare with the Revelli design as for audace. Note also the difference of windscreen, which could be a hint to different driver positions, and even the length of the wheelbase doesn't seem the same to me.

I know there is a picture of yet another similar looking bus in the "Storia dell'autobus italiano" book, but I don't have it on my shelf, so I can't say the chassis.
Attached Images

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 PM

My thought about the picture being from Padova was based on San Carlo being a suburb of Padova, just as San Vincenzo. I had missed the Solvay bit in the title. I agree the Solvay plant close to san Carlo (li) is more logical.
Just as the Viberti script.

regards,

Jelle
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM

All these vehicles are based on the Alfa romeo 500 chassis, 4.20 mt wheelbase and coachbuilded by Viberti, they are Granturismo models.

The EIAR vehicle, EIAR means Ente Italiano Audizioni Radioniche
(something like italian broadcasting company), was built by Viberti in 1938 and it was a mobile studio with a trailer too. It was expressly created for the main sport events like Giro d'Italia, Mille Miglia, etc..
I haven't an original photo, i'm sorry.

BTW, Mario Revelli di Beaumont designed this vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by PG1964; 10-07-2012 at 06:24 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Refreshing this thread with some pics from period magazines:
Motor Italia 1938 and L'Automobile (ACI quarterly in 1949).
As you can see after the WWII the EIAR became RAI and the license plate changed from Turin in Rome.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode