poly sway bar bushing question 115 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By alfaparticle
  • 1 Post By barboncino105

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

poly sway bar bushing question 115

78 spider, how does the outer part of a poly bushing stay on the sway bar end links?
I'm planning replacing the bushings. they are original and the end link bush is firmly rusted to the sway bar.
I can see where a stock bushing - as it's pressed into the end link - would not have a issue, but since the poly bush is two pieces, what keeps the outer sections from slipping off?
This question is for the upper section of the end link as the lower section has a nut and washer on the connection to the lower wishbone.
I hope this isn't a stupid question. I must be missing something
Thanks
Jim

Jim Butler
1978 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:36 PM

Garage
Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbutler View Post
78 spider, how does the outer part of a poly bushing stay on the sway bar end links?
I'm planning replacing the bushings. they are original and the end link bush is firmly rusted to the sway bar.
I can see where a stock bushing - as it's pressed into the end link - would not have a issue, but since the poly bush is two pieces, what keeps the outer sections from slipping off?
This question is for the upper section of the end link as the lower section has a nut and washer on the connection to the lower wishbone.
I hope this isn't a stupid question. I must be missing something
Thanks
Jim
I would use the stock bushing once removed check and make sure the replacements will fit properly when pressed on ....I usually use a punch and pith the surface so the bushing locks in .... the lowers I use the polys.. see attached photo...
Attached Images

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 05-13-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I would call the vendor that you purchased them from. If they cannot help then buy from someone else next time.
Alfaboutvegas likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

This is what I have.
where the end link attaches to the sway bar. What would keep the outer section of a 2 piece poly bush on the sway bar?http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/atta...mentid=1258378

If I don't destroy the end link trying to get them off the sway bar I will most likely go to stock bushings, so this is more of an esoteric question.
Attached Images

Jim Butler
1978 Spider
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
This is what I have.
where the end link attaches to the sway bar. What would keep the outer section of a 2 piece poly bush on the sway bar?http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/atta...mentid=1258378

If I don't destroy the end link trying to get them off the sway bar I will most likely go to stock bushings, so this is more of an esoteric question.
The stock upper bushing is the way to go before you disassemble mark the bar and the link with an indicator mark so the correct alignment is maintained ...so you avoid torquing the rubber bushing on reassembly to the chassis..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

You could drill and tap the end of the sway bar and use a screw and washer to stop the bushing from sliding off. I am pretty sure I did that when I had a stock sway bar. I now have a blade type and the bushing bolts to the blade.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 AM

i sell those - as does centerline. am guessing you did not get from me because i send instructions w the parts - or i forgot to include them, apologize in advance! as alfaparticle says, call vendor, they will help. in any case, the center tube is a press fit as is oem bush. remove oem - the bush will probably tear off the center tube - which is good, because the center tube will be FIRMLY affixed to the bar end and you will have to cut the center tube - at least part way through - to release it enough to allow you to drive it off the bar end. the poly bush is 2 parts as you can see. one part is bonded to the center tube, the other is a slide on. in the link upper eye (bar end), put the bonded piece into link from outside, the slide half on from the inside. the press fit will keep the whole thing together when you install on the bar end. on the control arm end, do reverse - bonded side goes on inside... slide on from outside. put washer and nut on as oem. drive fast, have fun. came up with these after hit a pot hole in my milano and the oem link popped off the bar end. have sold a bunch of these over the years, as far as i know, all still working great.
if want, email me (andykress@performatek.com) and i'll send you the install blahblah.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks to all who responded.
I have not bought either the stock, or the poly bushings yet. I was waiting to understand the poly install before I made any commitment. I didn't know that one side of the poly was bonded to the center tube. Makes sense. And explains the proper install orientation, thanks for that. I have installed the poly bushes in the rear and think I'll install the poly up front too.
Again, thanks to all
Jim

Jim Butler
1978 Spider
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 AM

Garage
bushings

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded.
I have not bought either the stock, or the poly bushings yet. I was waiting to understand the poly install before I made any commitment. I didn't know that one side of the poly was bonded to the center tube. Makes sense. And explains the proper install orientation, thanks for that. I have installed the poly bushes in the rear and think I'll install the poly up front too.
Again, thanks to all
Jim
Still with the stock make sure you score the sway bar shaft as i outlined above and mark the locations the upper rubber sway bush is the way to go...I use poly on the lowers and everything else trunnions rear trailers etc... and most definitely on the upper GTA adjustable control arms..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks Tom. Why stock on top and poly below? is poly up and down to harsh? and stock to soft?
I've had this car for twenty years, and have never driven another Alfa. So every time I change something I can really feel the difference.
This (according to my records going back to the first owner) is the first time the suspension has had any work done to my knowledge.
Thanks for the advice.
Jim

Jim Butler
1978 Spider
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Tom. Why stock on top and poly below? is poly up and down to harsh? and stock to soft?
I've had this car for twenty years, and have never driven another Alfa. So every time I change something I can really feel the difference.
This (according to my records going back to the first owner) is the first time the suspension has had any work done to my knowledge.
Thanks for the advice.
Jim
Honestly it is a personal preference I think the surface are of the stock uppers have more surface area to lock on the bar as opposed to only half the outer poly bushing locking on....Pure speculation on my part...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:39 AM

the bolt tube in the poly part is the full length of the original. the poly portions fill the link eye fully. they are as fully supported as oem. as i said, have sold hundreds of sets.
Attached Images

Tom Frasca likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barboncino105 View Post
the bolt tube in the poly part is the full length of the original. the poly portions fill the link eye fully. they are as fully supported as oem. as i said, have sold hundreds of sets.
Always learn something from these forums...thanks..
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM

always fun w alfa! btw, only getting the parts in black now. seems more simpatico.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode