Upper control arm bushings? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ossodiseppia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Upper control arm bushings?

Hi all,

My Spider is back on the road (yay!). In the process of checking some things out, I noticed the bushings on my upper control arms where they connect to the rest of the suspension are very loose and worn. I'm not ready to dump the time and money into a total suspension rebuild, but I'm thinking these bushings and a loose steering box are probably big factors in the sloppy steering.

I figured as easy as these are to access, and as cheap as they supposedly are, I might as well replace them and get some handling quality back. But I can't find them online to purchase! Am I suppose to replace the whole control arm? Another AlfaBB member posted at one time that the bushings are around $10 a piece, but it was an old post.

Thanks!

Matt

Cars: 1983 Spider Veloce: slowly nursing it back to glory
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 1997 BMW Z3: Wife's daily driver - 1994 BMW 530i: Sold but not forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 AM
It is common to replace the bushings with the far more robust bushings used on the wishbones. No mods required, available they the normal Alfa suppliers for about $35 . http://classicalfa.com/products/SU04...RODUCTION.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Loose steering box?

A loose steering box could be a cracked steering box. That could be a disaster in the making. Please inspect the box for cracks or breaks.
gprocket likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Poly bushings are another option. Not as compliant as rubber but more compliant that lower wishbone bushes.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigboy View Post
I noticed the bushings on my upper control arms where they connect to the rest of the suspension are very loose and worn.
Can you be more specific as to which bushing is very loose and worn? The upper control arm connects at three points: to the body (inner bushing), to the caster arm (caster arm bushing) and to the spindle. The first two bushings are available. The link to the top of the spindle is not replaceable, so if that's what is loose and worn, then yes, you need to replace the whole upper control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia
A loose steering box could be a cracked steering box. That could be a disaster in the making. Please inspect the box for cracks or breaks.
Agree. Burman steering boxes don't commonly become loose/sloppy - unless they are cracked, which certainly is a "disaster in the making". Are you sure your play isn't due to worn tie rod ends, or a sloppy idler box?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-21-2017 at 07:51 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
It is common to replace the bushings with the far more robust bushings used on the wishbones. No mods required, available they the normal Alfa suppliers for about $35 . SU042 R BOTTOM WISHBONE BUSH - REPRODUCTION - Classic Alfa
Sorry, I am referring specifically to the inner bushing on the upper arm. Jay is correct that there is the small caster arm bushing and the spindle ball joint. There is also the caster arm ball joint. Any of those can cause slop but the one that tends to go first is the upper inner bush.

I also concur, don't drive the car again until you determine where the steering slop is coming from. It's not fun when the steering box explodes (ask me how I know...).

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode