164L strut information - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
164L strut information

Ive been trying to find information on front strut inserts for the 164 and all I can find is that the only ones that work (koni part number 8641 1226 Sport) are unobtainable.
Is there any other manufacture that makes an equivalent strut insert that is available? Any information in this is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Talk to Jason (Alfissimo). He has spent some time researching this.

Usually, people look for used struts from B/L/LS if replacements are needed, or if you get a set of used struts from the S/Q, you can use them. They will remain in the default "sport" setting since you will have no wiring for them to open the softer ride valves. No big deal, esp if you are looking for a sportier shock, since I run my 91S in that setting full time. My wife and I prefer it that way.

The advantage of the used S/Q shocks is that they CAN be rebuilt by yourself, involving using a new (but not that expensive) machined seal carrier, and new inexpensive seals, and of course new fluid, as compared to the others. I've rebuilt mine, and they work fine. Cost several hundred or more to rebuild them, depending on whether or not you have to have the rods rechromed, but I was lucky and did not. Richard2 did when he rebuilt his, and that ended up costing him a bit more. There is a PDF file available on the BB with all the info required, complete with some pictures of the work.

In any event, the shocks for these cars do last one heck of a long time anyway. The ones on my 91S were still pretty good at 180k miles, except one stopped working properly even If it had fluid in it. Repairing it made it work fine again (at least I think that is what happened, lol).

One thing to look for with used shocks is that you have to watch for severe rust bulging between the tube and the welded on wrap around mounting flange at the bottom. Cars which have been run in areas of salt on the road will have that corrosion, and if not terrible, can be treated with a lot of rust killer solution and then painted with a few coats of rust prevention paint.

Good luck.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-10-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode