No brakes ...!!!! Help...!!!! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfajay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No brakes ...!!!! Help...!!!!

1964 Sprint GT Dunlop Brakes.... ... rebuilt front calipers and pads...no leaks anywhere.... bled LR, RR, LF, all good ...at the LF ...keep getting small amounts of air bubbles...any thoughts ...all connections are sound.... Pedal felt okay, went to drive today pedal goes to floor ......nothing else was touched ....brakes were okay prior to rebuild sent fronts out to be rebuilt as one of the piston pad retainers was shot.....STRANGE...!!!

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 02-24-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
1964 Sprint GT Dunlop Brakes.... ... rebuilt front calipers and pads...no leaks anywhere.... bled LR, RR, LF, all good ...at the LF ...keep getting small amounts of air bubbles...any thoughts ...all connections are sound.... Pedal felt okay, went to drive today pedal goes to floor ......nothing else was touched ....brakes were okay prior to rebuild sent fronts out to be rebuilt as one of the piston pad retainers was shot.....STRANGE...!!!
Sounds like there must be a leak somewhere.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Garage
Check for leaks with soapy water. Especially check where electrical connector for brake light attaches to master cylinder.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
Check for leaks with soapy water. Especially check where electrical connector for brake light attaches to master cylinder.

No leaks at all think I am going to replace the master..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
...think I am going to replace the master..
I think that would be prudent. You didn't tell us the history of the MC, but I'm guessing that a) it's old and b) it's a Dunlop.

I prefer the ATE type cylinders, as they don't have a check valve at the front (which might be what failed on your car). See: http://classicalfa.com/products/BR07...ERVO-CARS.html These will fit a car that was plumbed for the Dunlop type MC with a little re-bending of the rigid lines.

Tom Frasca likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-28-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I think that would be prudent. You didn't tell us the history of the MC, but I'm guessing that a) it's old and b) it's a Dunlop.

I prefer the ATE type cylinders, as they don't have a check valve at the front (which might be what failed on your car). See: BR073 SINGLE CIRCUIT BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER - LHD NON SERVO CARS - Classic Alfa These will fit a car that was plumbed for the Dunlop type MC with a little re-bending of the rigid lines.

Ordered the master I need some miscellaneous parts for the rear brake assy (the metal cover to be specific, springs which I believe Alfaholics have and the rubber boots. I could make the cover .... and match screws but would rather have originals..
Attached Images

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 03-11-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode