1986 Alfa Romeo SPider Graduate Lower Ball joint Install - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1986 Alfa Romeo SPider Graduate Lower Ball joint Install

Well, You guys were all correct when I couldn't figure out my "No Spark" problem. It was the flywheel but when the mechanic I used put the new flywheel in he reversed the crank sensors in the bell housing which wouldn't allow the car to turn over. After 15 minutes of a regular Alfa mechanic looking at it he reversed them back and tweaked a few things and the car is now up and running. However, he noticed I now need lower ball joints and idler arm bushings replaced. First, is this an install that is time consuming or fairly easy. Secondly, I keep shopping online for parts and keep getting varied stories about Veloce ball joints not fitting graduate. Is this true? I went to vicks auto and that gave a range from '74 - 89? I just don't want to order wrong parts. the new mechanic will replace the ball joints and idler arm bushings but claims 5 hours labor. seems reasonable but do you guys agree with that? Total bill comes to $1,000 for all this??
Help please!! you guys all mentioned the crank sensors in the bell housing last time so your obviously spot on with your diagnostic abilities and I thank you for that.

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
All mechanical parts are same whether the car is a Veloce or Graduate. The only differences are in trim level (power windows vs manual), wheels, etc.

I can't comment on the estimated bill. If that includes parts and labor it is probably the going rate.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you Eric that is good to know. It didn't make sense that the ball joints were different. Do you recommend a site for these type of parts?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

IMO you should rebuild the front end in one shot: lower and upper ball joints complete, lower A-arm bushings, tie and track rod ends. How one determines you need idler arm bushings on the car without a dismantling inspection is something I'd be interested in learning. typically the play is in the tie and track rod ends connected to the idler arm. I've sloppy steering boxes about five to one relative to worn idler arms, dismantle and regrease the idler arm.

current:
83 Spider Veloce
ex:

solve problems, learn something new!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode