tire problem - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

tire problem

My GTV has developed a persistent shake at speeds above around 35 mph, noticeable through the steering wheel. after looking at bearings and other suspension parts, I looked at the front tires. in the attached pic, is this tread separation or something else? I swapped the fronts, which both showed this damage, for the rears, which were better. I still feel some vibration, but not nearly as bad. new set of dunlops on the way from tirerack, but I'm curious about what caused this damage. any ideas?
Attached Images

Stan Swanson, Eerie Erie, Colorado, '67 GTV (daily driver), '71 GTV (Kyle's), '91 164 (snow car), '56 Lotus 11(gone to Oz), '59 Cadillac M+M Hearse, '74 MGB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Wow: those look defective. How old are they? There should be a date code on the side.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Wow: those look defective. How old are they? There should be a date code on the side.
date code is 0509, so Feb '09. tires are Dunlop Dirizza Z1, 195-55-15, they all show some degree of this damage, although the two that were on the front wheels were worse. tires never over-inflated, typically run them at around 24psi (much more and they get pretty harsh and start loosing grip).

Stan Swanson, Eerie Erie, Colorado, '67 GTV (daily driver), '71 GTV (Kyle's), '91 164 (snow car), '56 Lotus 11(gone to Oz), '59 Cadillac M+M Hearse, '74 MGB

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

The cracking in the sypes is typical of aged-rubber-syndrome, cause by heat, ozone or both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

or possible cold-related? this is from a TireRack tech article,

"If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks."

these are summer performance tires, and I usually don't drive them in winter because they are awful in snow. This winter I drove on them a lot more than usual after a catastrophic engine failure in my snow vehicle.

here's link to complete article, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=273

Last edited by lotuseleven; 02-10-2017 at 04:35 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I DIDN'T know that! Good to learn. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:23 PM

The "alligatoring" inside the tread is enough for me to say these tires have been toast for a long time.. Did you know these are basically street legal track tires? That alone tells me they aren't expected to give the same life and service of a tire designed for the street. Tire life is issued by the mfr based on many parameters. They don't use extremes to environment or usage to set their warranties nor would one expect this type of compound to deliver the results you would expect of a street tire. Guys run a season on a set of tires and throw them away regardless of whether they are warented much longer. Personally, if you autocross or race, these might be something i would change into at the event otherwise your car will perform better on more conventional stock profiles and you will enjoy the driver feedback better. AFWIW, ever hear about Burman boxes cracking and the PITA that can be. Chalk it up to tires that load it beyond it's tolerances.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-12-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode