Common Alfa Romeo Wheel Weights - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrington View Post
That may be true, or there may be production variations over the years. I'm happy to change data as better info comes in. I was also thinking it might be a good idea to break the table into three posts, one for 4x108, one for 4x98, and one for 5x98. Thoughts?

-Jason
Breaking them out as suggested makes good sense. Also, would it help if these were listed in chronological order, and all OEMs together followed by the aftermarket varieties?

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
alfetta 2.0 quad 11lb
alfetta 2.0 tubina 14.1lb
gtv2.0 (Campagnolo) 13.5lb
spyder veloce (5 star) 12.1lb
gtv6 (Campagnolo) 13.5
i asume the data i have means "early" gtv6...considering its dated 1982...figures taken from "proceedings of 39th world magnesium conference and exhibition 13-15 june 1982 detroit MI"
ill try and explain a bit better..in the same order

looks just like the early 80s gtv6 wheel but in 4bolt
4lug turbina
looks like the standard 5lug 80's gtv6 wheel
spyder 5star
black faced 5lug gtv6 wheel

the pic's in the artical are poorly copyed and in black and white..id scan them but its REALY bad quality to begin with

the ones on my gtv6 are the 13.5lb

anyone got the weight of the milano platinum wheels?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Something here does not add up. I had a set of BWA sportstars and a set of mid 80's Daytonas at the same time. I don't remember the exact weights but I do remember that the BWA's were each about 4 lb lighter than the Daytonas.
Alfa may have had multiple manufacturers make the OEM '80s Spider alloys, as they did with most of their other OEM alloys, like the Turbinas and Phone Dials.

IMHO - this may be arguing semantics - but I think the Cromodora CD-35 wheels should be called "Daytonas" and the '80s OEM wheels should be called... something else. I'm not saying Alfa never referred to the OEM wheels as Daytonas (they did, occasionally) but rather that it's confusing and not altogether appropriate.

Remember, the basic Cromodora wheels that led to all the Cromodora variants (CD-35, CD-31, etc.) was first seen in 1967 on the Ferrari Daytona, hence the name!

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
73 Cromodora Daytona

I have a spare "April '73" Cromodora Daytona that weighs 12 pounds (no weights or stem). It is a CD-35 14"x6" JK. it is 22 mm offset and 4x108. By contrast the current IAP CD-35 repro (KBA 43907) weighed 4 pounds more at 16 pounds (with stem and 4 weights). Neither have centercaps.

I've been told (and debate rages) that pre ~86/87 CD-35's were higher "magnesium" alloy versus the later ones an "aluminum" alloy. I have 4 ca. '84 CD-35's but cannot get their weight since they are mounted. Your list may need to differentiate between these. Regards, Bruce
Attached Images

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Piper- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Last edited by Anfanuts; 02-12-2008 at 07:21 PM.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:04 AM

BWA Wheel Specs

I thought you guys might like to see this:
Attached Images

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Colby View Post
I thought you guys might like to see this:
Very good info, Bruce. I've updated the chart with the offset. Thanks!

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The CD-35 1973 offset was 22mm, not 35. Thanks for this chart. I'll try and measure one of my ca. 84's. They are touted as being lighter also. Cheers, Bruce

Now
)(
)(
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

Links

post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

i had 4 different version of the bwa sportstars 108mm...they all weighed different

same is true for the cromodora's... typically the earlier the lighter. i hear the newer daytonas arent event magnesium anymore?

link here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/susp...ar-wheels.html

Last edited by davbert; 02-18-2008 at 03:15 AM.
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
CD-35's Weights

My research in old parts catalogs indicates that Cromodora Daytona's were "magnesium"-based alloy up to about 1985. An IAP 1984-1985 catalog says, "CROMODORA wheels are die cast MAGNESIUM for a smooth finish, attractive appearance, light weight, and extra strength. They are approximately 2/3 the weight of a comparable aluminum wheel." (Notably I paid $362 for a set then.)

They disappeared from the catalogs after this (~86-87) and reappear in an October 1987 Shankle catalog as "new aluminum reproductions" without the CROMODORA name at $88 each. Even Shankle's June 1987 catalog did not list them in any fashion.

I have an April 1973 version (date stamp on back) spare, and photos and records of a December 1976 version (photos below). While the face and back markings were a bit different, they are both 12 pounds. I shipped the 1976 to an aerospace engineer in Seattle who said he could fix it (bad curb rash). I await his answer. I bought the 4 on my car in April 1985 but have not had them off recently to check their date stamp or weight. When I do that, it will establish a later model CD-35 weight for sure (and date stamp).

One could devote a thread to just CD-35's but that's not the intent of this thread. I'm sure someone in the business back then who dealt with this in detail could shed some light on the changeover and some metallurgist on the exact nature of the differing alloys. The bottom line IMO, in my mind there is ~pre-86 magnesium-based alloy at 12#, and post-86 aluminum-based alloy at 16# (for a 6x14). Even the new IAP repros are 16#.

I have corresponded with some who insist the earlier wheels were NOT magnesium. I'll leave that to the experts. That is why I say "xxxxx-based alloy" above. I took some metallurgy courses a long time ago and know you can mix different proportions of aluminum and magnesium to achieve different ends (weight, strength, ductility, etc.). One clear end is 12# versus 16#.

As Joe points out above, the were first seen in 67 on the Ferrari (365 GTB-4) Daytona, so that is an early date point (size and bolt pattern notwithstanding).

Adder: One thing you will note in the photos (and it is clearer in person) is that the 4/73 and ~84 have sharper edges on the star and circle corners. The 12/76 is noticeably more rounded. Interesting as it is in the middle of those two other dates. Markings differ on all 3 also.

OK experts with facts, weigh in here. Thanks, Bruce
Attached Images

Now
)(
)(

Gone-
-

) -

Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 02-17-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add ca. 84 wheel pic; add Adder
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
i hear the newer daytonas arent event magnesium anymore?
It is true the new Cromodora Daytona reproductions are not magnesium, but there are very few if any modern road wheels that are. It is just not feasible to use this material for a number of reasons.

Of course - the old ones were magnesium alloys (i.e. not pure magnesium) and the new ones are aluminum alloys - and I'm sure the exact composition is a fairly close secret.
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
first seen in 67 on the Ferrari (365 GTB-4) Daytona, so that is an early date point (size and bolt pattern notwithstanding).
Unless of course one has ever seen the wheels used on the 1966 Ferrari 312. (though they were usually anodized gold rather than silver)

Or the 1965 Ferrari 365p Berlinetta Speciale

Suffice to say, the pattern/design existed before the Daytona car and likely the wheel 'name' is something that Americans came up with after seeing that style, for quite likely the first time, on that car in '67. (unless of course they've always called them 'Daytona' in Europe also, in which case that theory is out the window )

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 02-17-2008 at 04:46 PM.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM

OEM Spider wheel is "Daytona"; not "look-alike"

Don't know when the name "Daytona" was first used. However, FTR, the OEM Campagnolo 5-star wheel used on the Spiders from 1982 through 1985, inclusive, is officially called "Daytona". The Alfa literature documents this clearly. I think it is misleading to call it a "look-alike". From 1986 forward the OEM 5-star wheel used up to and including 1994 Spiders, was made by FPS. This FPS edition is identical to the original Daytona, but it is referred to as the "5-star". Granted that Cromodora also used the name "Daytona", but they never supplied an OEM 5-star wheel for the Alfa Spider.

Best regards,

Enrique
Milano 88 Verde
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post
OEM Spider wheel is "Daytona"; not "look-alike"
While "look-alike" is perhaps a bit harsh, it is very obvious the wheel is derived from the Cromodora.

Since it does have it's own style with the deep trough around the rim, perhaps calling it an "Evolution" of the Daytona instead of a "look-alike" would convey the same meaning without being derogatory?
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab View Post
While "look-alike" is perhaps a bit harsh, it is very obvious the wheel is derived from the Cromodora.

Since it does have it's own style with the deep trough around the rim, perhaps calling it an "Evolution" of the Daytona instead of a "look-alike" would convey the same meaning without being derogatory?
Why not use the correct name - the one that is used in all the Alfa literature? I think we do ourselves a disservice by trying to come up with different names. If two manufacturers use the same name, we should be able to handle this... I say we increase our knowledge base and show it by using the correct names, with additional adjectives if necessary, i.e. the OEM Campagnolo Daytona, the aftermarket Cromodora Daytona...

Best regards,

Enrique
Milano 88 Verde
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Like I said above, this could spawn a separate thread and lots of debate about alloys and content, and now names. I agree it should be the name the manufacturer officially gave the item, and say a common usage name e.g.,"phonedial"?). Just specify the mfg in the table and the name/nickname/date/model/size/bolt pattern/etc. to differentiate it. The thread is not about naming them, it's about adequate ID and weights. I was only trying to add the nuance that the mfg. date, among other parameters, makes a difference in weight as davbert's post above points out for BWA's as well. Keep the data coming; good luck to Jason sorting it all out!! Thanks,

Now
)(
)(

Gone-
-

) -

Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode