Driveline bearing advice-105s - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 AM

Driveline bearing advice-105s

Hi, all. When I put the driveline in the Super, I noticed that the center bearing was really loose up in the tunnel...I can move the driveline any direction about 1/2". The bearing itself doesnt look bad- the fins on the outside are all good, but I now see that it is spinning in the driveshaft inside the tunnel when I'm underway.
I shimmed the bearing by sliding a piece of 1/4" rubber between it and the tunnel, then put a piece of 1/2" rubber (with two hole drilled for the bolts) between the lower plate and the "d" shaped bearing-Now, the car vibrates badly at speed. (Ironically, it was smooth before I shimmed it.)
Any suggestions as to how to appraoch this? I'm leaning towards a new 105 bearing, but I understand some folks retrofit the 115 style. Any pros/cons on either option? I guess I have to disasemble the driveline either way, I just want to get it right the first time.
Thanks,
CarPoor Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

The front driveshafts for the Super from chassis #862001 and the 105/115 front shafts share the following parts;
palnut
flange nut
flange
spring
front and rear slingers
bearing
woodruff key
The only differences between the two are the front shaft itself (either the length is different or because the 105/115 shafts were supplied with the donut and the early style were not), there's a bearing spacer on the early shaft-no spacer on the late and the bearing carriers-the early style are 3 piece and the late are single piece.
It would seem to me that the later style bearing assembly, with the one piece carrier, will physically fit on the early driveshaft. Whether it will then fit in the car and work properly I can't comment on since I haven't done it.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 PM

Jim-
Thank you for the information. I neglected to mention that the car has a 2 liter engine, so that really throws a spanner in the works, doesn't it? It does have the 105 style carrier, as I've said, but WITH the front Giubo bearing, so do you think I have a bastardized amalgam? I actually ordered the 105-style bearing from IAP today, but if it doesn't look good when I get it, I'll send it back. (Had to place an order for other stuff, so as long as I had the card out...)
Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-11-2004, 10:25 PM

I

Just want to know how this goes. I hope you figure it out ! please share with us the info.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:27 AM

PSB- Will do. I guess I just figure that Alfa made these bearings work for LOTS of years in LOTS of cars, so I should probably stick with what's original. I personally would not retrofit a 2 liter into a Super, but I got this one like that, so I can make it as good as I can and enjoy the extra torque. BUT, not until I get my driveline sussed out. Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Trained Professional

So I'm to understand that you have the later one piece bearing carrier? By the front giubo bearing, do you mean the metal bushing that sits in the nose of the front driveshaft to align it with the trans output shaft? Did you order just the bearing or the carrier too?

Boy, I'm just full of questions today!

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 03-12-2004, 09:26 PM

Jim- I thought Giubo bearing was the correct nomenclature for the rubber donut mount at the front end of the driveline.
As far as the center bearing is concerned, IAP shows it as two pieces, a rubber "D", laying on it's back that snugs up into the tunnel, with a race that rides inside it. (Pressed in?). Then the whole assembly is supported, but not attached to, a plate with two holes in it that fits over two studs hanging dawn, and gets nutted into place. I bought the "D" peice and the bearing that rides in it. HTH.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Trained Professional

I've heard the thing called giubo, donut, flex disc, flex coupling, driveshaft coupling, hand grenade but not a bearing. That's what threw me off. Sorry for the confusion.
Keep us posted!

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 03-13-2004, 07:18 AM

ooh ooh, dont forget "hardy joint"
Old 03-28-2004, 11:14 AM

Driveline Bearing Quandary Resolution?

Hi all:
I've got the Super back on the road...driveline is better, but NOT entirely vibration-free. Worst is coasting at about 40 mph. Just so y'all understand what I ended up doing, here's a recap:
I liked the 105 style bearing and rubber "D" piece, but when I disassembled the driveline, I found that the bearing itself was a bit scratchy. I bought the new "D" and bearing from IAP, then when I disassembled the driveshaft pinion, I couldn't get the bearing off of the driveline-This is all at home in my cramped garage at 11:00 p.m. mind you. Ended up breaking the aluminum housing that holds the race trying to get it off the driveshaft. SO, I took the lazy way out and replaced the driveline with a spare from the parts car. It's bearing was good, I slipped the new rubber grommet over the "D" and reassembled. I thought about installing the 115-style bearing, but I would have had to cut out the channel the holds the "D" shaped rubber grommet. One catch...the bolt size for the u joints apparently changed between '67 and '68. I had to drill out the '68's flange bolts at the rear to accept th fasteners that bolt it to the diff pinion. The boss or register seems to be correct, so I think centering is good.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:27 AM

Talking Resolution? cont'd

Anyway, the rubber piece on the old line was more dried out and cracked than I thought, so this new one definitely snuggles into the metal channel it lives in a bit more securely. I can still push the driveshaft up and side-to-side about 3/8", but the car is much smoother than before. Under acceleration I feel no appreciable vibe, just when coasting. It occurs to me that this may be engine shake, transmitted through the throttle linkage? The 105 has a rigid link rather than a cable for throttle, so maybe the faint vibe I feel is normal. A passenger in the car yesterday commented on how smooth the car felt, and I can mainly feel the vibe through the gas pedal, so maybe it's normal?
One side note: I took the car to our HP Driver's School yesterday, and though it wasn't ready for the track, I did drive around the course once or twice to clear out the carbs (at about 40-50%), but I was REALLY encouraged at how she felt in the slalom! Just hugged the course like the true TS (Track Slut) she wants to be! Oh, and SpringGTC had his pristeen Super there (Not on the track, just his transportation there) and Lifer had his new Lotus Elise on the track, in the POURING rain! We had about 12 Alfas there in all. Good times!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.