Bonaldi / Bendix Booster Rebuild - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Here's a Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Peterken View Post
Anfanuts, what is the check valve on the rear booster banjo fitting? I don't think I have one of those let alone a cruded up corroded one.
The longer aluminum "banjo" to the inside (left) is the ball/wafer check valve (note "EpoxyWeld" caulk bead to try to seal it). This banjo receives the vacuum line form the intake manifold connection. The shorter brass banjo fitting (right) connects to the the tubing that goes to the front booster. As mentioned before the check valve holds vacuum in the boosters upon lowering rev speed and intake vacuum (such as when braking and needing more boost power).
Attached Images

- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the photo, I definately don't have one of those. My car is a '74 2000 GTV, and seems to be ok without one, anyone know if it is normal not to have the check valve?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 AM

Dean if your car is an original RHD carbied car then you do have a check valve. It is screwed into the back of the intake manifold. Follow the large vacuum line from your brake boosters to the back of the engine, and you will see the check valve mounted on the back of the intake manifold. The valve attaches the vacuum hose to the manifold, so the manifold supplies the vacuum for the boosters. Have a good hard look, it is there.

Axeman74
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

I've seen them coming off the back of the manifold also. In fact, I'm now looking for an in-line CV to replace my banjo type with. As qualified above, my comments were reserved for a 69 SV with double boosters. Other configs, as we often find, are different, as are modified cars. Perhaps a real brake expert out there can explain all the functions of the check valve. Cheers and 'onya!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
Links
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM

One of the things to watch for on these boosters are the plastic pieces like the spring/seal seat shown below. They seem to come in various colors and are probably made of a different type of plastic. The white one seems to be a harder material than the black one (which is still in good condition).

Name:  102_4625.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  21.0 KB

I just picked up a pair of used boosters hoping that these pieces would be in good shape only to find that one was completely broken and the other has a hairline crack in it and is not usable.

Name:  102_4639.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  21.5 KB

So out of 4 boosters I only have one plastic of these plastic pieces that can be used. These unfortunately are NLA and are not part of the rebuild kits....none of the plastic pieces are.

...visit my thread...afrench-blue-69-gtv-restoration
Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Make the outside of the booster look pretty, but bypass it I don't know much about the US 69s, but I ran my Canadian 69 for quite a while without the single booster while I waited for a new one to arrive (this was in the 70s) and the brakes worked fine. You just need to press harder.
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

For 69's it will come to this someday (unless the EPA gets us first) as boosters and parts expire for good, and those ****ed dual circuit MC's die also. Brakes on a US 69 "dual circuit" are a real headache IMO once they start downhill. Now the brake clusters and PV's are starting to fail on older cars (like mine) also (other threads).
Gone-
Links
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM

>Better get your AMEX out. They ain't cheap (~$375 ea), especially with two for a '69. >There are several other brake threads discussing going to single circuit or eliminating >them altogether.

I ended up buying two new ones - they are now labeled Bosch 14-060870 rather than Bonaldi. I'll fit them in the next couple of days then the old beast is off to the painter/panel beater.
Chris
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 AM

Chris...that is interesting, whom did you buy them from? Also, can you post some close ups of the unit?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Boosters

I bought two new ones in October, Bosch units also, but outwardly identical to former Bonaldi/Benditali units except the plating is "goldish" in color on the bell housings. Centerline has them listed: BB416, Price: $ 395.00. Others may also. Photo link here (5th photo down).
Gone-
Links
Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Rossano,
I bought mine from Chris Sweetapple at Highwood, England (Alfa Romeo Parts and Spares www.highwoodalfa.com) as I could not get anything similar in Australia. The boosters cost 165 pounds each plus a bit to get them posted to the other side of the Earth They are expensive, but my old car is like one of the family - a bit like paying for your Dads hip replacement
I can see, nor measure, no significant external difference between the current Bonaldi/Bendix boosters in my car and the new Bosch/Benditalia ones I just purchased. As you see from the pictures they are a coppery-gold colour.
In general, I have dealt with Chris a fair bit recently, as I have with Max Banks at Alfaholics, and found them both to be knowledgeable and easy to do business with. Anything I order gets posted promptly and arrives in perfect condition.
Hope this helps,
Chris
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks Chris, those pics are very informative. It sure is nice knowing components like these are still being remanufactured for our cars. I never would have expected that Bosch would have an involvement here...but that goes to show you how poorly (or intentionally) they market themselves to the general public in our part of the hemisphere. I spent quite a bit of time on their web site and could not find a link that would point me to these parts or a supplier of these re-manufactured units. Yes I agree, they are identical to the original Bonaldi units but pricey! Right now I'm pursuing the reconditioning option on my Boosters.....but am having difficulty sourcing the plastics bits inside. Seems a shame to have to toss out a usable component (as many apparently are doing) just because a $10 part cannot be sourced doesn't it?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Glad to be of help - do you think that they might be cheaper if they weren't electroplated with gold
When I remove my old ones I intend to strip one myself and take the other to a good mate of mine (Dave) who runs a local hydraulics shop - he said he was interested in pulling one apart. Dave does a lot of rallying and is constantly having bits and pieces made up in all sorts of base compounds from plastics to metals, so he may be able to help. From what I read, people either have no problems with rebuilding these units (so long as they can source the parts) or describe it as some sort of miserable journey through hell. Surely it can't be all doom and gloom - these are mechanical parts and so long as they were OK to begin (mine have lasted nearly 38 years) and haven't been too badly abused, they should be able to be brought back to original condition. That's the theory at least
I'll keep you posted,
Chris
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 PM

Due to the unavailability of those little plastic pieces sought by Rossano, I bought 2 of the Bosch/Bentitalia boosters from centerline. They are pricey, but a nice replacement. Strangely, although everything else in identical, the mounting studs were 5/16 by 20 SAE. Were these originally ordered by some American car maker, do think? Any one know?

Another related issue. I once put 1750 ATEs under my Giulia 1300 TI, but retained the single circuit MC rather than install the 2 circuit tandem MC. I had rear lock up at the limits of braking. Those thinking of reverting back to a single circuit system should think about why the 1750 MC has different bore sizes for front and rear.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

The rear brakes activation (pressure/delay) should be governed by the proportioning valve, no? Not the size of the hole in the MC. That may need to have been reset for a different brake set-up. Just a thought. Bruce
Gone-
Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.