2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Earlier 105 OE Wheel Color

I did a search and there are several threads on this so I did not know which one to post in so here's a new post. Authors of those posts can link to this if they desire.

I did a paint spray-out sample of 7 commonly available wheel paints. One reason was to start to find the definitive OE color (ha!**) as well as experiment with other colors that might be interesting to try for a more modified car.

One of those threads touted BMW Polaris Silver. I could not find Polaris Silver, perhaps a paint shop custom mix. But in some thread I recall a color Argent Silver was mentioned. I tried some darker colors in addition to silvers as well.

It turns out that the Argent Silver was the closest match - so far - to an earlier 105 OE wheel color. An assembly of long-time Alfisti at CNC agreed. It's a semi-flat silver with no metallic flakes. The paint name is OER HP Wheel Argent Silver. I got it at Summit Racing - LINK.

I compared to my original never molested 69 spider spare tire still mounted with the original CA-67. I have never seen the bright metallic flake paints on old original Alfa wheels that are commonly available in paints and aftermarket wheels today. Certainly not clear coated.

I have space at the top of the spray-out panel if anyone has a readily available paint to add.

** Just as with body colors I imagine that there was a lot of variation with different wheel and paint manufacturers, batches, and over time.
Attached Images

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4000 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Last edited by Anfanuts; 02-10-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM

The early formulation of Mercedes Astral Silver with two sizes of metal flake, one extra fine, seems consistent with Italian silver paints in that it has a slight champagne hue that is similar to Italian clear coats getting a golden sheen when they age as on Ferrari SWB .... just a hint of it. Also think 1974/74 Ducati 750SS ...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Is this generally available (where), or a special purchase or custom mix?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM

I don't think the old astral silver is available other than custom mix. Glasurit used to have both in their book - new and old. I suspect the newer one is available from MB and other suppliers but it doesn't quite look right - shade is good but metal flake is too big.

BTW your argent panel looks good ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Is this generally available (where), or a special purchase or custom mix?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Some of these other colors look fantastic, like the graphite metallic on a white car's wheels for contrast, or the stainless with a hint of bronze. The magnesium is a shade darker than the 3 silvers and with less sparkle. May do that on the Campy Americas. My "go to" up to now has been the Rustoleum HP Wheel Silver as it is a shade lighter than the Duplicolor. Unlike other R/O products, it dries quickly. But the Argent Silver will be my choice for an OE early 105 look.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:17 PM

105 series OE Steel Wheel Color

Thanks All so much for the varied postings. I will go with the Argent (satiny) silver or as a backup the early BMW Polaris silver from PPG...depends on what is actually available at the trigger-pulling moment.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Original steel wheels on my August-production '65GT, pretty true color rendition.

But of the original 5, not all are identical (aging?).

Thanks for the comparison.

Chuck
Attached Images

'65 Giulia Sprint GT; '76 Alfetta GTV; '71 Fiat 124 Spider (early 1438cc); '71 Fiat 124 Spider (late 1608cc); '86 Callaway Twin Turbo GTV6 and '91 164S (with new owners)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Garage
I've had several silver shades on my white TI and the
One that looked best was Jaguar Rhodium Silver. Not rattle can quality, for sure.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Just for kicks I did a Bing search for Polaris Silver and got one hit for paint on e-Bay. It was a vintage small spray can of BMW official Polaris Silver touch-up paint for $27. The OER Argent Silver paint is pretty flat. I might do a satin or semi-flat clear coat to make it easier to clean brake dust off.
justcallmefred likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 PM

Eastwood has an argent silver wheel paint that is very close to the original color. Unfortunately it's only available in aerosol cans, and not quarts. A great cost effective approach to correctness.

Jonathan

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce ( 105.36 )
1959 Giulietta Spider ( 101.04 )
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 PM

Wurth White Alloy Wheel Paint - 0893339006
Have heard good reviews on this wheel paint, but have not tried it.
Some use it on old BMW motorcycle cast Al. motor parts.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

105 OEM Wheels - Respray with BASF

Hello All,
I recently had my GTV1750 OEM wheels, sandblasted and resprayed. the shop uses BASF and I chose this two stage process.
First stage is the color coat (base coat), second is a clear top coat. Both were made by RM which is one of the BASF product lines.
Color: RM Onyx HD Waterborne, color code 060.
The Clear coat is an RM Urethane.

Now, to muddy the water a bit - system also shows codes for another line made by BASF called Glasurit. Their waterborne base coat is called Glasurit 90 Line, and that code is also 060. Glasurit calls it Polaris Metallic, and shows it as a BMW body color used from 1969 1974. There are other BMW colors called Polaris Metallic (and also New Polaris Metallic) which were used on different model years.

In any event, my wheels look great!
I'll post photo's of the wheels on the car when it hits the ground.
Andy
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Update to this thread, as I'm urgently researching the correct shade for early 105 steel wheels (Fergat). Glasurit #060 is something I can only obtain by special order (120/litre) so I am looking for alternatives.

Questions:

Does anyone have a list of equivalents for Glasurit 060?

Is Glasurit 060 known as 'Imola Polaris Silver' or just 'Polaris Silver'? There seem to be a number of variants, according to the various tables that are available to view online.

Mercedes Astral Silver, as mentioned by Alleggerita, seems to be an alternative but is obviously brighter than Chuck's original wheel finish (which may have slightly yellowed with age, admittedly). Is #735 the 'earlier code' of Astral Silver? Whose code is that? If a Mercedes-Benz code, what are the commercial equivalents?

How does #735 compare to Glasurit 060?

Superfine flake or no flake?

Lacquer? If so, is a satin coat or a gloss coat more original? Or a gloss coat with a % of matting agent? I'm guessing these were originally a single-stage baked finish with no top coat applied?

I have also been reading about Wurth silver wheel paint, which is more of a DIY approach but apparently the quality of the spray nozzle is superb. Anyone used this? Which lacquer did you use afterwards?

All good information, advice and tips would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Alex.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.

Last edited by Alex; 03-06-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
FWIW, painting wheels is a bit of an art. The trying to get the deep profile leads to runs and/or overspray "fuzz". An airbrush would help over a rattle can. I do one side at a time. Why? Overspray through the holes deposits on the other side and makes overspray "fuzz" or spatter. I mask all the holes from the opposite side, finish one side, and mask the other side, and spray the 2nd side. A fine particle and semi-flat or satin finish appears to be right. Too glossy is a dead giveaway of modern.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
FWIW,............... A fine particle and semi-flat or satin finish appears to be right. Too glossy is a dead giveaway of modern.
Agree about the color, but after having refinished the wheels several times there is an advantage of a modern powder coat, they are SO easy to clean....the dust doesn't adhere, a moist paper towel will do.
Attached Images

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode