Earlier 105 OE Wheel Color - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Agreed on that George, on my driver (Pinyo) the glossy Heinbrand wheels clean up easily. On the stock concourse 65, the OE look. I will do the Campy AMericas I sourced in an original magnesium look. I've seen original TZ/TI Super wheels up close - very rough castings. Love the knife-edged clip-on caps, they harmionize so well with the wheel. They are on my 65 also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 PM

Quotes from another site below which is a good description especially of the early style DB 735 astral silver.

If you go to the Glasurit site you can probably figure out which the mix for the early astral is if you can get a painter to decode what the metal flake codes are.

When I painted my Ducati 750 SS I actually looked at the different formulae and the early one had two sizes of metal flake in it, one of them ultrafine the other slightly more coarse, probably fine. The later 735 has only one size of metal flake in it but slightly coarser. This is from emory - I discarded the formulas. I may have a chance of getting a look at my old Glasurit books that I gave to a friend.

The earlier 735 gives an almost pearlescent look but not as bright and jarring as modern paints - one dimensional is a good description as below. IIRC it also has some candy apple tint in it which gives the impression of the aging clear coat as on old silver Ferrari SWB and Ducati 750SS - not that dissimilar then the pictures earlier in the thread.

There is also a silver used on early Mercedes Ponton, the color code being DB 180. It is slightly darker and more grey than DB 735 and was commonly used on 300SL Gullwing. It may be more suitable to some wheels. I tmay be interesting to look at the formula of that one.

And if you need it less glossy just add a little bit of flattener in the clear coat.

Quote:
In terms of modern looks I would rate the three this way

Mercedes Astral silver = old style smooth silver

Mercedes brilliant silver = old style with more life (high points show brighter)

If this analogy works:
735 = 1 dimensional
744 = 2D
modern Porsche colours = 3D

Wayne,
I think you are right. I painted with a single stage 735 Astral, and probably got near exactly the right color and replica finish for an original of the period (not many 2-stage paint jobs in '60, certainly not on race cars).

I'm "OK" with the choice -- until I park next to you other guys with the pretty 2-stage paint jobs and more modern metallics. Then, the older color looks flat in comparison. Like Wayne says, it's smoother, 1 dimensional. (If I parked next to Greenie's car, mine would seriously look like primer! [xx(] )

Back when I made my paint choice I was 50/50 between the Astral and Brilliant silvers. If I had to make the choice again today I think I'd still be 50/50. The single stage Astral is more authentic, but the 2-stage Brilliant is more pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Mercedes Astral Silver, as mentioned by Alleggerita, seems to be an alternative but is obviously brighter than Chuck's original wheel finish (which may have slightly yellowed with age, admittedly). Is #735 the 'earlier code' of Astral Silver? Whose code is that? If a Mercedes-Benz code, what are the commercial equivalents?

How does #735 compare to Glasurit 060?

Superfine flake or no flake?

Lacquer? If so, is a satin coat or a gloss coat more original? Or a gloss coat with a % of matting agent? I'm guessing these were originally a single-stage baked finish with no top coat applied?

I have also been reading about Wurth silver wheel paint, which is more of a DIY approach but apparently the quality of the spray nozzle is superb. Anyone used this? Which lacquer did you use afterwards?

All good information, advice and tips would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Alex.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thank you all for the very learned information provided so far. I went to the paint shop today and we looked at the formulation for the DB #735 paint and the equivalent of Polaris Silver. There is a certain amount of red in the #735, and almost ten times the amount of black as #060. I looked at a range of swatches and I'm probably going to reduce the level of black but otherwise stick with the #735 formulation as it is. After I have done the surface preparation and returned the wheels to the shop for spraying, I will post the results. Many thanks for all your help, guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM

The red is the candy apple tone I am talking about which gives a subtle impression of an aged clearcoat that makes this color look period. I am not so sure whether I'd take out the black as the color is quite bright as it is ad it might look to modern without the black. Try to get the formula with the the two sizes of metalflake if you can - one ultrafine - as it will look more period if you are into that. BTW the DB 180 if anything has way more black in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Thank you all for the very learned information provided so far. I went to the paint shop today and we looked at the formulation for the DB #735 paint and the equivalent of Polaris Silver. There is a certain amount of red in the #735, and almost ten times the amount of black as #060. I looked at a range of swatches and I'm probably going to reduce the level of black but otherwise stick with the #735 formulation as it is. After I have done the surface preparation and returned the wheels to the shop for spraying, I will post the results. Many thanks for all your help, guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode