Burman Box Rebuild - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 286 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Thanks Gene:

I'm only doing what others have so generously done before...

Jpulone:
As to the oval seal, you prompted me to look at the exploded view and I am surprised to see that there is no listing for a gasket. Every box I have opened up has both shims and a gasket. But if you think about it, wouldn't you need a gasket between each layer of shim? Then that kind of defeats the purpose of the shims... I put a thin coat of sealant on the to and bottom and call it good. No leaks.

Here is my thinking: The oil is not under pressure and the cover is on the top so oil would not usually leak out of that area. I would make sure surfaces of the covers and the shims are all nice and clean and everything is square. I would also verify that the screws are down tight to the cover. The best thing to do would be to remove the cover and then run the screws in by themselves just to be sure they aren't binding and giving you a false read. When assembled you should be able to torque them to 18 ft-lbs.

Good luck!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 286 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wille R. View Post
You may use sealant. Remove the four bolts and gently draw the front cover out as far as you may. Then use a ghood sealant (I use Lock-tite) and with the pipe place the sealing compound all around. Then re-tighten. This way no need to remove the unit from the car.
Wille:

I have been advising Joe NOT to disassemble the front cover on his Burman box, because the ball bearings behind it are not retained by a cage. As I recall from when I disassembled my box on the bench, once you remove that plate, ball bearings begin rolling all over the place.

If this is incorrect, please let me (and Joe) know. Sure, if he could just unbolt it, goop it up, and re-bolt it, it should solve his leaking problem.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #33 of 286 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Did I misunderstand... Are we leaking out of the top oval cover or the front cover with the horn wire? Assuming we are talking front cover...

I'm with you, Jay. I would be very, very careful pulling back that front cover. Frankly doing it on a bench was tricky enough the first time through. The balls are 9/32" so pulling the cover back any more than 9/32" and they will surely fall out (actually in... to the bottom of the case).

Remember too that there are probably (3) shims in there. There are potentially (4) sealing surfaces. Which one are you going to choose to seal? And how are you going to get it clean enough to get the sealant to stick. I'm not saying it's impossible but there is no easy solution.

If the leak is at that front cover I would really begin to suspect a crack. Especially if it didn't leak before and now it does. I would get in there with a good cleaning followed by good light and mirrors and really inspect the peripheral of the case. As I said before, a crack can be repaired if you catch it early. But if you let it go it will surely zipper open and there's no practical way to fix that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gprocket; 10-12-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Corrected error with ball bearing diameter

post #34 of 286 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Wille:

I have been advising Joe NOT to disassemble the front cover on his Burman box, because the ball bearings behind it are not retained by a cage. As I recall from when I disassembled my box on the bench, once you remove that plate, ball bearings begin rolling all over the place.

If this is incorrect, please let me (and Joe) know. Sure, if he could just unbolt it, goop it up, and re-bolt it, it should solve his leaking problem.
Well, it can be done as long as you do not remove the shim and the bearing. They are normally (on the boxes I have been tampering with) quite stuck. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Cordially

Veloce and Wille R.

1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.
My Duetto sites
and the Duetto Register
and
Duettoinfo

post #35 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
New Burman Box Gaskets available

Rich,

for my Burman box rebuild I had all the gaskets made by a local Gasket supplier...they're made from a fiber paper that the supplier recommended. I have a few extra sets available. Those interested can send me a PM.

Name:  IMG_6930.jpg
Views: 3156
Size:  53.3 KB.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #36 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Those are beautiful Rossano - nice work!

post #37 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM

i got "play" in my box isn't the wear on the moving parts that can be replaced?
i mean could it be just the bearing balls be worn ?
post #38 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
New Burman Box Gasket Set...cont'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Those are beautiful Rossano - nice work!
Yeah they turned out nicely. I've received a few requests already for these so I decided to offer a complete gasket set including a new "O" ring as shown below. Total cost will be $20.00 + shipping.
Attached Images

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #39 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
That's a steal my friend! Is this a form of Canadian socialized gasketing??

post #40 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Garage
I don't know that my box needs it (probably), but I'm considering a rebuild as a winter project, and I have a quick question. An earlier poster noted that the 3/16" bearings seem a little small. Since 3/16" = 4.7625mm, is it likely that the original balls were 5mm? Not nearly as easy to find in the US it seems, but since I'm looking several months down the road, I've got time to search if that's actually the proper size. Anyone have an original handy they can mic?

Bob Farace
1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
1987 Alfa Romeo Milano d'Oro
Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale
post #41 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
That's a steal my friend! Is this a form of Canadian socialized gasketing??
Well Rich....I've benefited from some generous Alfsiti as well...this is just my way of giving a little of that generosity back.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #42 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farace View Post
....An earlier poster noted that the 3/16" bearings seem a little small. Since 3/16" = 4.7625mm, is it likely that the original balls were 5mm? Not nearly as easy to find in the US it seems, but since I'm looking several months down the road, I've got time to search if that's actually the proper size. Anyone have an original handy they can mic?
Bob I measured the ball bearing from my Burman Box and they're .281 inch diameter (or 7.14 mm).....not 5mm. Since these are hardened you may want to find some original Alfa ones...I have about 15 used ones from a broken Burman Box I acquired from a parts car that you can have for free. Perhaps other BB'ers can donate the remainders as well.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal
post #43 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Bob I measured the ball bearing from my Burman Box and they're .281 inch diameter (or 7.14 mm).....not 5mm. Since these are hardened you may want to find some original Alfa ones...I have about 15 used ones from a broken Burman Box I acquired from a parts car that you can have for free. Perhaps other BB'ers can donate the remainders as well.
The ball bearings are as said 7.14mm, confirmed. Any local hardwarestore should have them, as they are standard dimension. But if you use 7.05mm the difference is neglectible IMHO.

1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.
My Duetto sites
and the Duetto Register
and
Duettoinfo

post #44 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM

Garage
7.14mm/.281 inch is 9/32" exactly. McMaster-Carr has them, as do some eBay vendors.

Bob Farace
1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
1987 Alfa Romeo Milano d'Oro
Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale
post #45 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farace View Post
7.14mm/.281 inch is 9/32" exactly. McMaster-Carr has them, as do some eBay vendors.
That's great.....slowly but surely we're finding spares for replacing all the wearable items on these units. FYI four sets of gaskets have already been claimed....looks like I should order a few more sets.

Rossano

1969 1750 GTV
1976 Montreal

Last edited by 1750GT; 07-18-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: additional comments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode