Restoring Some 105/115 Rear Calipers... - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Depends which side of the car the caliper is for.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 AM

Well that's obvious now - a friend warned me this piston rotation could become a bit of a mind bender. Therefore it's really important once they are all reassembled to label them left and right.

1974 GTV 2000, 1986 75 1.8, 1989 75 2.0 TS
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Am I missing something
Yes, the graphic you posted shows the "drivers side" caliper. My example is showing the "passengers side". The same principle applies with the rotation of the disc being the determining factor as to which way the piston goes in.

Here's the same graphic showing the line process (the red line) and the relationship to the bleeder (the green dot) on the caliper:
Attached Images

Eric Shea
Sandy, UT

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Therefore it's really important once they are all reassembled to label them left and right.
They're already labeled. You just need to learn how to read "bleeder". Bleeders are always at the top.

Eric Shea
Sandy, UT
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Went through this as well with the brake shop - Even they had problems with this.
The centerline graphic is very confusing and only the templates were useful.
In the end I found the graphics (attached images) in shop manuals. These are much clearer as they show the orientation on the car

In summary - The recessed part is towards the disk rotation and the (extended) line of notches would line up to the center of the hub (about 20 degrees)
Just ensure the bleed screw is at the top and inward facing
Attached Images

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 AM

And that would be the friend that warned me and the instructions he provided that finally put me on the right track. And thanks guys for your simple instructions and patience to what was (now) obviously simple but made difficult by the LHD/RHD transpositions, rotations, and my own completely left/right dyslexia. In my defense though it has been a very long week with very little sleep - so my advice is NEVER work on your car when you're tired and short on patience. So here's a few pic of my finished work. If you spot anything assembled incorrectly please don't comment - I think I rather die in a fireball than have to push the pistons out again. Joking - please do comment.
Attached Images

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Excellent job!

It doesn't "appear" that the pistons have been pushed in all the way. With the knockback mechanisms (those pins and mechanisms in the pistons) they can be tough to get in. We use a bench arbor press. The piston should "bounce" by about 1/8" once they hit bottom. This will tell you that the spring in the knockback is working properly.

Eric Shea
Sandy, UT
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Thanks for that. The caliper halves are only loosely assembled, so I'll pull them apart again and make sure the pistons are all the way home.

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM

An excellent thread! I'm just getting into this with my '69 GTV 1750. This is BIG help!
Thanks Eric & everyone who made this a great & informative read!
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to aenlle
This file has full sized templates for the ATE piston alignment. I got them from IAP a while back and note that Centerline instruction don't have the templates. Print an extra page, glue onto card stock and cut them out for use.

Removing caliper pistons: using rubber tipped air nozzle at the brake line opening, with a a rag or piece of wood between piston to keep them from getting damaged when they pop out. If only one comes out, then use a small clamp (4") to push and hold one back in partially then do the same to get the other piston out (holding it in with clamp). If aligning or removing the piston use a channel lock (small one) to grab the projecting part of the caliper (not the polished part) to gently twist it out. Cleaned out bore and piston with steel wool; clean groove with steel wool using a popsicle stick and a pick (angles and straight) to do this. Blow out passages with air; rinse out with some brake fluid; insert rubber rings and lubricate with brake fluid; align using above gauge and press back in with clamp. Use old brake pad to push it in to the limits of the caliper with clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Alfa IAP brake piston alignment tool template.pdf (86.5 KB, 37 views)

Ed Aenlle
Fallbrook, CA
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the file on the "template"..
that is going to be useful

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21
Greg

Tags
ate, brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode