Brake light interruptor thingy - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Brake light interruptor thingy

A while ago I heard of an aftermarket product available in the US that interrupts the brake light signal from the pedal switch to the light itself. The idea is that this little box of tricks will cause the lights to flash 3 or 4 times then stay on constantly, helping to alert anyone who is glued to your rear fender to back off . Since the brake lights are relatively dim (by modern standards) during daylight hours, I thought this might be a useful upgrade. Google hasn't helped me at all. Anyone seen these and know where I could find one? Or know where I could find a circuit diagram to make one? Thanks all ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 04:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Alex,

A Toyota dealer here in Kentucky was splicing the center brake light into the turn signal flasher so it would blink instead of remaining on when the brakes were applied. I queried someone who sells aftermarket lights, and he said this was in violation of government requlations. This appears to be true, since I have not seen a proliferation of blinking center brake lights.

The light accessory you mentioned may be a "Cyberlight". This was a product that increased the frequency of blinking as brake pressure is increased. I read an article several years ago where the inventor wanted the government to make this standard on all cars as a safety feature, but the proposal was not accepted. My understanding of the British MOT requirements is that they are more strict than in the U.S.You may want to check the applicable regulations before making any modifications to your brake lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
A while ago I heard of an aftermarket product available in the US that interrupts the brake light signal from the pedal switch to the light itself. The idea is that this little box of tricks will cause the lights to flash 3 or 4 times then stay on constantly, helping to alert anyone who is glued to your rear fender to back off . Since the brake lights are relatively dim (by modern standards) during daylight hours, I thought this might be a useful upgrade. Google hasn't helped me at all. Anyone seen these and know where I could find one? Or know where I could find a circuit diagram to make one? Thanks all ...
Regards,

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I found this today, quite by accident. Looks well made, and removable too. Any thoughts?

http://www.brakeflasher.com/index.htm
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

A Signal Dynamics Back Off flasher module will do what you describe. Try this link or any motorcycle shop in your town. http://www.customdynamics.com/brake_...ics_Modulators
Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 PM

I think this would work great on the 164S/Q's that have those LED's under the trunk spoiler. I wouldn't mind doing it, it would be cool to wire it to be directional so it go from side to side like a wave or something...Has anyone done this?

That alarmclock thing is badass
Old 07-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Sean,

I think you'd be better off having brake lights that warn the guy glued to your a** that you're slowing down, not to mesmerize him!!

Alex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.