SOVREN-Rule Question; EFI - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM

SOVREN-Rule Question; EFI

What's the word.

I bought this 1969 GTV 1750 that came with a SPICA fuel injection. I know from reading some of the rules that you cn for example change out the stock ignition system provided that no modification to the block is required to make it work.

How about the SPICA? Can I substitute it or another fuel injection system under SOVREN rules?

Can I run a different throttle-body setup with electronic injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 09:56 PM

Yes you can change to carbs to what was period correct.

Fred
87 BMW 325IS PRO3 race car #68
87 BMW 325IS (Rosie's car)
05 Nissan Armada
09 Mini Clubman
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Hhmmm... How about another fuel-injection system...? Maybe an electronic (EFI) setup?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Very unlikely. You'll have to read the rules, but I doubt a mechanical FI setup could be replaced by an electronic one.

I'd ditch the Spica, unless you want to pay Wes to be there for every race! Unless you're intimately familiar with the Spica system, I'd switch to Webers. John Hall is running Weber 45's, not sure why that is allowed (instead of 40's), but you'll have to check which was specified in the production car rulebook, or FIA homologation papers, depending on which class you choose to build your car to.

Fred, what size webers are you running?

Remember, vintage racing is not about taking old cars and making them cloaked new ones.

Steve S.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM

I believe John is running 48's and I am running 45's.

Fred
87 BMW 325IS PRO3 race car #68
87 BMW 325IS (Rosie's car)
05 Nissan Armada
09 Mini Clubman
Old 06-20-2005, 07:09 PM

Injection or not

Assuming you are running the car as a B sedan (as most of us are) you can use Spica injection (as called out on the recognition form- it even specifies the pump model) As Steve points out- the modern F.I. systems are cool, but not even close to appropriate in this "setting". Carb size is "free" in B sedan, a really stout 1750 would probably need 48mm. carbs. See you in a couple of weeks, "The other Fred"
Old 06-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Steve, point well taken... Thing is - what level of electronic ignition was available then and what comparable (but different setup) is available and allowable today...?

Can we run MoTec? How about MSD-type spark boost?

Running 45s for now - may "roll" those down to the Group 2 1600 and upgrade to some 48s on the 1750s.... (Bothe engines from Dawie can handle as such...)
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM

SOVREN puts the onus on YOU to find that info out, and to provide the paperwork allowing it!

I don't know the answer to those questions, however. My points and condensor ignitions in both my GTA and GTV never seemed to let me down, well, almost. There's enough things to fiddle with on a new race car, concentrate on the other things.

SteveRacer
Old 06-26-2005, 03:02 PM

Hey Squadra,

Great time yesterday at the Greenwood Auto Show! Total of 7 GTV's out there, including my GTA. Gave the show a nice distinctive flavor.

Someone left their two blue fold up chairs. I have them.

Steve S.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Platinum Subscriber

John, AKA junglejustice
Read the SOVREN Rule book. I says that an electronic trigger can be used in place of points and condensor, no external electronics.

John, it sounds like you want to experiment, not vintage race. Try Conference racing. Their rules have classes for you to try modern improvements on race cars.

[email]willet@q.com[/email] 520-374-2220: please do not use PM, email me direct, saves us both time.

THESE are the good old days!
There are no easy answers to complex problems.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 AM

Junglejustice wants to do it ALL, and if you look at his list of vehicles owned, you will see that he is succeeding!!

Steve S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.