Carpet? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Carpet?

My Spider has the rubber mats and to be honest I don't really care for them. I am thinking about buying a carpet kit from IAP, specifically the "original type carpet sets"

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. Or any other carpet kits that you would recommend.

I am putting it into a 73 spider

Any info would be greatly appreciated....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
I don't plan on changing the rubber mats on my '74 Spider, but will agree that a Spider with a carpet is much nicer. I've seen the IAP set in a 1972 Spider, and the fit was excellent. The only drawback that I see if you go with the carpet is if the car gets wet inside. With rubber mats it is really easy to get rid of the water, while not so with carpets. (Yes, I do drive my Spiders in the rain, and on occasion they have been parked with their tops down when it has started to rain...) If you are concerned about originality, the just know that the concours penalty for installing a carpet to replace the mats is 0.7 points, out of 100. It is your car, and if you prefer the carpet, by all means do what you want with it and enjoy your ownership.

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM

you might consider some nice carpeted mats...more plush and protects the rubber floors. I did it in mine and it is really nice..mats are logo'd as well.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

I am not terribly concerned with the originality issue. I bought the car to drive and enjoy not to show. I am assuming that I can remove the rubber and save it in case I ever change my mind.

The issue about getting wet is something I did not think about, as I said I plan on driving this car so it may end up getting a little wet. I will have to give this a little more thought.

I like the idea of the mats. That is another option.

Thanks for the inputs!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM

When I bought my car the rubber was junk so after a few penniless years I got the carpet kit from IAP. I would only be happier if I had really nice original rubber. The carpet is pliable and fits very well. It is also very easy to install. I don't drive mine in the winter or when it rains, on the rare occasion I get caught out in rain, I take the front mats out and use a wet dry vac. It may not be practical for someone with a very leaky top and the need to drive it all the time.

Moose
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to lgbalfa Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
i actually like the rubber mat look better then carpeting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.