Age of members - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:12 AM

Age versus availability

Actually, what motivated my question was age of owners versus presence of the marquee in the country. I still remember when I saw that red 1969 Alfa Spider out in the front of the chemistry building at Stanford in 1972. Leo parked it on the lawn sideways and it looked very cool. It kept the cars bump nose protected too. Then I started looking for one. Leo Kadehjian (practicing chemistry somewheres or retired by now) and Merritt Carden helped me with my learning curve.

Without sales, I'm postulating enthusiasm dies off. I've noticed some parts dealers closing shop this last year. We were all pumped over Alfa coming back to the US, then they let the enthusiasts down when it was nixed. I have to say I was pretty disappointed over the years to see the Japanese promote engineering excellence, but Alfa bringing out the same tired Spider\engine combination until about 1994. Even the most rabid Alfa nuts have to scratch their collective heads over no major changes from 71 to 94. And they turn around and dump the US just when they start coming out with new cars?

But I'm very happy about all the new parts available for my car right now, and I wish those guys would quit bidding against me on ebay parts.

Last edited by wesley55; 01-22-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:28 AM

What is your age - 30
How many Alfas do you now have -2
How many times have you purchased an Alfa- 2
How many Alfas have you ridden into the ground - 0
How many Alfas have been shot out from under you by other drivers/insurancecompanies 0
Attached Images

post #63 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:38 AM

Faber;

Is that your driveway? I like it! Reminds me of my California, but forget the cost of living in California!

Wes

Sig. Faber;

» quella la vostra strada privata? La gradisco! Mi ricorda della mia California, ma dimenticano il costo di vivere nella California!

Wes

post #64 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Hi Wes (thank you for translation ).

Yes, it's my parents' country house

Probably, considering the today's E/$ ch. rate, for me a journey in Calfornia is not much more expensive than one in Italy....

Here's another nice picture taken in Elba Island:
Attached Images

Last edited by Faber; 01-22-2005 at 09:49 AM.
post #65 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:47 AM

What is your age - 41
How many Alfas do you now have - 2
How many times have you purchased an Alfa - 2
How many Alfas have been shot out from under you by other drivers/insurancecompanies - 0

'69 1750 GTV
Cogito, ergo Alfa Romeo
post #66 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:57 PM

I guess this is as good time as any to introduce myself. I have just discovered this board and joined pronto! I will be boosting the aussie contingent here with yet another ocker yellow , or was it giallo ocra the right way to put it, apparently THE ONLY colour for 1750 GT Veloce (series 2).

Being Australian, I realise that answer does not bear much relevance to the original question but here it is anyway.

What is your age - 45
How many Alfas do you now have - 1
How many Alfas have you ridden into the ground - 1/2
How many Alfas have been shot out from under you by other drivers/insurancecompanies - 1/2
(explanation of 1/2 cars - I had green light , they had blue light, I did not see them, they did not see me. Close encounter with an ambulance in a middle of an intersection is not good for an Alfa!) ( she was a gorgeous white 156)
post #67 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda

Faber;

Devo dire, io gradisco i cambiamenti di designazione Alfa fatti al ragno dell'inizio degli anni 90. Ma desidero che aveva messo quello V6 suonante bello in esso! Perdoni prego il mio italiano difficile.

Wes
post #68 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:15 AM

Hi Wes!

I like the "Giulia" engine very much, but you are right: it would be more "up-to-date" to put a V6 in that car....

However you have to consider that "Duetto" is a project of '60s and it has not been substancially modified thereafter. So, probably, its structure is too week for sustaining a so powerful engine: they should have reinforced the whole structure with very increasing costs.

Anyway, do you know that somebody had the same your idea and has provided by himself ?

I saw it with my own eyes the last year!
It's fantastic!!
Attached Images

post #69 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:06 PM

My age: 44

Actually, I'm 43 and will be 44 next month. I have a 77 Alfa Spider. Most people think our affections for cars have to do with what models were available and jazzed us in our youth. I have to admit, even though my car was built the spring I got my license, it is not a car I would have bought then. I had a 74 Camaro -- I was still in the time when we pined for V8 grunt. (Which was a joke since my Camaro, with a 350, probably had all of 145 hp.)
post #70 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM
What is your age - 49
How many Alfas have been shot out from under you by other drivers/insurancecompanies - 0

I bought my first Duetto in '85 when my bride and I lived in Florida. A year later we moved to Michigan but the Duetto couldn't make the trip. It was a fun car to drive but body wise was a disaster. I figured I'd get to Detroit and find another. Seventeen years, three kids and three job changes later and I finally found the replacement. Worth the wait!

- Rich D.
post #71 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:35 PM

What is your age: going on 72
How many Alfas do you now have: 1
How many times have you purchased an Alfa (including re-purchases for the inconstant): 1
How many Alfas have you ridden into the ground: 0
How many Alfas have been shot out from under you by other drivers/insurancecompanies: 0

Desert Spider '84
Attached Images

post #72 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 PM

What is your age - 34
How many times have you purchased an Alfa - 1

I just purchased mine! I have had it for a week now. I used to roam the Alfa dealer in New London CT back when there was one - this has been 17 years in the making...

post #73 of 443 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:48 PM

What is your age - >40
How many Alfas do you now have - 1 in pieces
How many times have you purchased an Alfa - 3

I am older than my Alfa but younger than my Healey

Chatis
1974 2000 GTV - Silver - Gone 11/05/2007 http://www.74argtv.com
post #74 of 443 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Garage
Ps

I know this is late, but I'm new to the board and found it interesting:

What is your age - 58
How many times have you purchased an Alfa (including re-purchases for the inconstant) - 1
post #75 of 443 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:18 AM

Garage
Pss

Might as well post the picture, too. It's a '91 Spider Veloce, original, daily driver except in winter.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode