Alfa Romeo Forums banner

74 Spider Project

27K views 127 replies 13 participants last post by  randyleepublic 
#1 ·
well i'm trying to put back together my car but now i'm starting to miss parts. Actually the body shop took it apart and i'm trying to figure out the puzzle.

I know is should of done better home work but too late.

i have problem with the wiper - i don't know how and what spacer go where.
i have been looking at catalog pictures but i don't have some of the parts.

any clues and or sources????:confused:

#3 ·
I'm not sure what spacers you are trying to figure out. Do any of the pictures in these threads help?

wiper arm linkage

wiper tune-up

If you are missing parts, look in the 'Anything About Alfa Romeos' section to find the 'Suppliers List'. Alfa Parts Exchange is a good source for useful used parts.

The engine bay looks great, BTW. Got any more photos? We likes pictures!

#4 ·
Wow - really cool pics and stuff it really helps me identify what i'm missing

I stripped her all the way down - actually the body shop did and now it's turning into a @##@# job finding stuff.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Regularity rally

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Engine

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

she is slowly getting better - now i need front drivers side bumper - the old one has broken plastic peaces - once I opened it up.
Any way i will need lots of help

#6 ·
well, the best way i can explain this is:
American hot rods usually have this kind of paint layout - where the engine and trunk are black.
since she is going to be a little hot rod i wanted to play into this arena
she is getting 11 to 1 compression with either 40 or 45 webbers.
i already have the 3" pipe and header.
i have the cranbk and flywheel shaved down and balanced along with other things.
also i want her to be cleaner looking - oil leaks - down the road

at least it was better then painting her red!

#7 ·
The black look is not stock, on a Series 2 Spider, but plenty of Alfas have that look also. The one that comes to mind is the 2600 Sprint if I am not mistaken. I am pretty sure that the trunk is black, anyway.

#11 ·
Thanks Randy i was trying to go with a little different look - i hope the end product will be good. i just thought black and silver would look cool under the hood.
The black look is not stock, on a Series 2 Spider, but plenty of Alfas have that look also.  The one that comes to mind is the 2600 Sprint if I am not mistaken.  I am pretty sure that the trunk is black, anyway.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Happy to see some of my pictures are helping some one.
Wiper arm linkage thread, in the picture, the cardboard represents the cars body. the two gray parts that are cut on an angle, one sits under the scuttle panel and one above it. This is the order they should go back in, at the time of the picture i didn't have the wiper caps.

Rich

Attachments

#10 ·
First i really want to thank you for the pictures - they really helped me as for the rear bumper - i just took it off yesterday - i found a local bumper shop to fix the dent and fix the cracked weld. he is going to polish it and i should have it back by thursday next week.so i will send another picture then.i also got 71 rubber molding so at the end it should look different -
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Bumper

#15 ·
The deal i got is really great - at least i hope.

the shop is going the fix the dent on the drivers side and weld a crack on the passenger side and polish the bumper - $120.00

i think it's a good deal - oh and i took apart the front bumper and he is also going to polish the top and bottom peaces for the same price :eek:

i should get it back this thursday - i will post some pics
this guy is in Bell Gardens basically East Los Angeles :D

#13 ·
No problem,

If want more pictures of any part of the car, let me know.

Thanks for the pictures too, if can take a picture of the rear of the bumpers from the inside of it and how it attaches to the car would help me a great deal.
Thanks
Rich

#20 ·
Rich

i hope these are what you are looking for - i just got the peaces back and i love them. the guy did a great job on all the items. i can't even see the old markings and or the"bad spots" thy look like new

i can't believe it.

by the way i do have to make some modifications to the rear bumper - i will post them also

if you have any questions please let me know

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Floor Metal

Automotive exterior Bumper

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Vehicle registration plate

Floor

Wood Floor
No problem,If want more pictures of any part of the car, let me know.Thanks for the pictures too, if can take a picture of the rear of the bumpers from the inside of it and how it attaches to the car would help me a great deal.ThanksRich

#17 · (Edited)
Wheels?

Here they are. I weighed one: 11.5 Lbs.!! Compare that to the Daytonas. These are 6 X 14. The center cap is a very attractive stamped Campagnolo logo. Sorry it didn't come out in the pic.

I thought about what I have into them, plus what it will cost to repair the one, plus the rarity. If the repair shop hasn't raised their rates, I would sell them for $600 plus shipping. But that is only for you and Isabel. Anybody else would have to come up with serious dough.

One thing about these: they are not suitable for racing. I bought the three from Mike Besic's brother, (famous Alfa race car builder), and he was at pains to inform me of that fact. (I have a pretty good idea what must have happened to the 4th one they must have had.)

Best,

Attachments

#22 ·
Looks great!

How does the rear match the line of the rear bulkhead? Can you now mount it in close, Euro style?

#23 · (Edited)
Ric who did your bumper work?

I used to set the catalog for Faith Plating (worlds most annoying website) and I was going to hit them up the next time I'm in the area to fix my slightly tweaked rear bumper.

-Raffi

#24 ·
Hi Rick

Thanks for the pictures, your a champion. On the front bumpers do they attach straight on to the internal bumper using the bolts on the inside bumper? (does that make since?) Or do you still need these brackets to fit the bumpers.
Your bumpers look brand new now, they did a good job.

Rich

Attachments

#31 ·
What do you think? From that one shot at the bottom, it looks like there is still a bit of a flat or straight spot on the right side. Hell, for the price you paid, just take it back and have him try again. :D

Other than that, frikken awesome. I knew that letting my baby go would be best. *sniff* *choke*

Anyway, thanks Ric!

#32 ·
Well Randy Wait till she is done - she is going to be very clean and fast.man putting together the front bumprs rubber tabs is killing me.any tricks? :confused:
What do you think?  From that one shot at the bottom, it looks like there is still a bit of a flat or straight spot on the right side.  Hell, for the price you paid, just take it back and have him try again.  :DOther than that, frikken awesome.  I knew that letting my baby go would be best. *sniff* *choke*Anyway, thanks Ric!

#33 ·
Ric

Try putting the rubber in some hot water first and if one want also you can try it with a plastic from a plastic bag around the rubber with a little bit of oil then push it in.

This is how i did my pedals without damaging the rubber, the same idea may work for you.

Rich

Attachments

#35 ·
Always, always, always use silicone spray on any of this stuff. It makes things go together without damage, and then goes away.

*thanks to Harry the Wizard Riley*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.