Limited Slip Differential - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-23-2003, 02:30 PM

Question Limited Slip Differential

Excerpt from AlfaCentro this month:
Quote:
If your vehicle has a differential equipped with the original ratio, 4400 RPM in fifth gear should result in an indicated 88 mph. Your vehicle should have a 4:56 rear end ratio. The 4:56 in combination with the .79 ratio 5th results in an interesting phenomenon; doubling the indicated rpm in 5th gear will result in the actual mph - i.e. 3500 rpm=70mph, 2500 rpm= 50mph, etc. Your car came with a LSD equipped differential. The most easily identifiable difference between an LSD and non-LSD differential is the shape of the differential cover. The non-LSD unit is a symmetrical rectangle. The LSD equipped unit has a rectangular protrusion in the casting at the forward end of the cover.
sds
Excellent information here - anybody who hasn't - VISIT THIS SITE!
Theoretically that means that at 6500RPM in 5th gear we could go 130MPH.
I immediately ran out to the garage in my socks and crawled under my car to see if it was LSD.
Now here's my question:
I was driving though a bit of dirt a few days back, and when I went to wash the backspray of dried mud a day later and noticed that the spray was only on one side - meaning only ONE wheel was spinning.
I thought that LSD meant that if one wheel starts to spin, then it will lock up and send both wheels spinning in a frenzy of tire melting excitement.
Anybody have any idea what the true nature of our LSD's are - compared with say a Chevy Positrak LSD, or say, my old BMW 535i?
Or - is my LSD busted?
Is there any way of increasing lock-up potential?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2003, 03:03 PM

Cool. My '74 has LSD.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:40 PM

Meatpile!
Did you just run out and crawl under your car?
Get some shoes on!
Old 05-23-2003, 06:22 PM

yes one can increase the lock-up by adding clutch plates. I have read that stock is something like 47% locked with one plate. adding a plate is like 74% locked. The % maybe off some, but you get the idea. I have not done this but have met people at the track who have. Some racer even weld up their diffs.100% lock-out. Thier cars hop skid and shake when making slow tight turns in the pits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.