Duetto Motors Top - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John M Send a message via Yahoo to John M
Duetto Motors Top

I thought I would share that I had great luck with installing my new Duetto Motors Top on my 92. The top has gone through some changes since I purchased one for my 78 a few years ago....all for the better.

One change included the addition of eye-lets for the top cables to run through. These eye-lets are above the window corners at the b pillars. Top also came with strings threaded through the pouch to easily pull the top cables through the top.

Another change is in the window attachment. The window is now double stitched in. Previously it was some way glued/heat sealed. The double stitched in window looks more original and very similar to the original top.

Now for some issues. The T bolt pocket is missing. But this was easily resolved my making a slit and placing her inside the padded corner. The edging at the center of the top where it meets the windshield still needs improvement. Nige noted this in an earlier post. And finally no chalk marks across the back. This was easily resolved by laying the old top out and using it to chalk the new top.

The top installation went fairly easily and fit perfectly the first time. I pulled the frame for the installation. Then installed the front and around the windows first, prior to fitting the back to the studs...going off my chalk marks from my old top. Best advice in fitting the back is to get the little significant other....for me my wife Lisa..... to sit back there and put the top on the studs while you make the slits. The Hartz Sonnedeck material that I chose has a pattern sewn into the headliner. Common material used on Bimmers and Mercedes. Around $320 including shipping. And it passed the fellow Alfisti test of approval.

Best Regards,
John M
1991 AR 164L........................the fourth and traded on the SS....Rosso
1965 AR Sprint Speciale..........the fifth...in boxes....sold....Bianco
1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the sixth gone to be a parts car...slow black
1993 AR Spider Veloce...........the seventh, freshening up to be sold....Verde Inglese
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi.............the first, fresh restore....Azzurro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 08:18 PM

John
Did you do step by step detailed pictures?

Did you buy the padded sides?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Unfortunately...I didn't take any step by step pictures. There is a really good installation guide out there and if you don't have it PM me.

I did get the padded quarters. Speaking of options, Duetto Motors also have options for zippered rear window, tinted rear window in various colors, but alas no glass rear window.

Forgot to mention...got the top within a couple of weeks of the order. Great service as before.

Best Regards,
John M
1993 AR Spider Veloce...........the seventh, freshening up to be sold....Verde Inglese
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:53 PM

John-

My Duetto Motors top had a heat welded window, from the outside, which looks cheap.

I believe they use multiple suppliers for their tops, they do not make them.

Regards,
Clark
Old 11-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

I can say, based on my experience with their top boots, they do listen to customer complaints and try to rectify them. The first boot I got from them had straps that were too short to reach the turnbuttons if the rest of the boot was snapped down. In fact, one of the straps ripped off its rivet while I was trying to snap the boot down. I contacted Duetto, who put me in touch with their supplier. They modified the design so the strap is now elastic, and sent me a new top boot.
Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale
Old 11-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hey Clark:

You are correct in that 1. they don't make them as George stated....and 2. the old way they were doing the rear window was heat sealed on to the material (my 78's top is this way). But as I noted in my first message, this has changed. They are now double stitched into the material as the original Alfa top. Bob points out a very good point.....they do listen to the complaints. I addressed the concerns people have brought up here directly with Duetto Motors prior to purchasing my latest top. I encourage others to do the same.

All and all, this top is a steal and is only getting better.

Best Regards,
John M

Last edited by John M; 11-11-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM

Hi guys

My info is that you have to ask for the stitched rear window when buying the Haartz Stayfast top. The one Duetto sells on eBay is heat sealed. Here is Duetto's reply to a friend's query about whether the eBay top had a stitched window:

"The auction top is made with a heat sealed rear window. We can supply you with an Alfa top made with a stitched rear window for $299.95 plus $19.95 S&H. These tops are made to order from Black Stayfast Cloth and feature padded quarter panels. Tinted plastic windows are available as a $35.00 option."

cheers Nige
Old 11-17-2004, 04:16 PM

Still sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hey all:

I have been talking over the last few weeks with Gerry from Duetto. All I have to say is praise. I have been bringing up some of the finer details of their top that has been problematic. And Gerry has been very responsive. We have been exchanging photos, chatting live on the phone.....and discussing what can be done to improve the top even more. So here is that info:

1. Nige had pointed out in the past about the edging being joined at the center of the windshield and having an unfinished edge. After talking with Gerry and showing him Nige's photo as well as one from my latest top, I found out that Gerry thought that area was not visible when the top was up. He has now taken the action of informing is manufacturer that the edge is incorrect. From my understanding that now will be either one continuous piece or it will have a finshed edge and be joined exactly at the center of the top.

2. Eyelets for the cables......now included.

3. Stitched in rear window. The manufacturer has switched from the heat glued in window, to the double stitched in window. My latest top arrived with a double stitched in window and I did not request it. But my top was special order using sonnedeck material rather than stayfast. So if you are placing an order today....be sure to request the double stitched in window if you want it....otherwise you will be getting one from their old stock. Gerry was not aware that the manufacturer had made the switch until I told him. I also told Gerry that the original top had the double stitched in window and to keep them coming that way.

4. T bolt pouch. The most current top lacks them. I sent some pictures over for Gerry to share with the manufacturer to get this added. I haven't heard the outcome on that yet. Gerry actually sent me an email requesting the pictures so he could work on that as well.

5. Prepunched holes or chalk marks. Probably not going to happen across the back. Gerry thinks that there might be some variation in stud mounting positions from car to car, year to year. So they don't want to punch holes and have them turn out to be in the wrong place. I can see his point. But does anyone have info on whether there is variation or not? If you do....share it with them.

So I will chalk Duetto as being pretty darn responsive to our concerns. I can say I have been very happy with them. Just order specifically what you want and ask for the top the way you want it....and my money is on that your top will arrive that way.

Best Regards,

John M
Old 11-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M
5. Prepunched holes or chalk marks. Probably not going to happen across the back.
The cheap top that came with my car (uninstalled in a box in the trunk, no brand name) had prepunched holes and I had no problem installing it. For the record, this top did not have eyelets or T-bolt pockets, so it's not the greatest top. I believe someone mentioned in another thread a while ago that the top IAP offers has prepunched holes. So this seems to be something that is doable. Has anyone ever had a problem with prepunched holes not fitting?

I did note, however, that there was a difference in the number of holes on the top and the number stated in some instructions (I can't remember if those particular instructions were in the installation manual or in the Alfa Bible.) I believe it was 22 versus 23. The top had the proper number of holes for my car. Maybe later cars had a different number?
Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale
Old 11-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Contact info for Duetto tops???

I would like to get the contact info for the Duetto top people. I have a '67 duetto that I am rebuilding the suspension on, and getting ready to sell, and the price of the top seem reasonable enough, that I should replace the existing one for the next owner.

Thanks, George
Old 11-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hey George:

Their phone number is (818) 727-0969 and they are located on the web at www.duettomotors.com. I don't know what the pricing on a duetto top is....but they show it listed as one of their products. I think its a little more than the spider top...maybe $100 more.

Best Regards,
John M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.