Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Upholstery from leatherseats.com?

16K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  partrim 
#1 ·
As the title says, I'm looking for info on the upholstery kits from this vendor, which often advertises on eBay. Anyone try them and care to comment on fit and overall quality of the leather and workmanship? FWIW, I'm looking for a black kit for my '87 Veloce.

Any other alternatives? I do not have a suitable local shop I might use, so that option is out.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Bob,
I just had my 82 Spider Veloce seats redone with covers from Leatherseats.com. I'm not talking slip-ons here, I'm talking the real deal. I am very happy with the quality of their product, but I did have a shop put them on my seats so it turned out really well. I also had the shop install new seat bottom foam I bought from IAP. Overall I am very pleased with the end result. I don't have a pic right now, but I'll see what I can do. I also heard world upholstery does a good job.

#4 ·
That's good news about leatherseats.com, Giovanni. Did you get the suede inserts, or all smooth leather?

Elio, As for the World Upholstery stuff, here's where I'm at on those. My Spider currently has both carpets and seats sourced from them (according to the previous owner). They're both OK, but I'd prefer the original one-piece main carpet (and rear deck area, too), rather than all the small individual pieces. Some pieces really don't have anything to hold them in place, unless I was to use glue, two-sided tape, or screws, and I also don't like the look of all the extra seams and bindings. The seats may or may not have a problem that I can blame on World Upholstery. They're vinyl with the fake suede inserts. The vinyl really does seem to be very high quality, and it both feels and even smells like real leather. The pattern seems correct, too, so that's all good. But, at both lower corners of the seat backs (on the side you sit on), the seams are coming apart and the vinyl is tearing. Almost looks like it might have happened during the installation, which may or may not have been done by a pro. Might be repairable by a skilled upholsterer, maybe using reinforcing patches on the inside. I'm just not sure, because while all this stuff is <1 year old, I haven't had the car very long and don't drive it much, so it shouldn't be coming apart (neither the previous owner nor I are overweight or oversized for a Spider).

So, that's my dilemma, repair and stick with what I've got, or just do it right and forget about it, as this Spider is surely a keeper. I'd also rather have the original color tan seats and carpet, and I'm not sure why the previous owner bought all the new stuff in black, but it doesn't look as "correct" as I'd like.

#6 ·
The seats of a 1982 Spider Veloce are different from those of a 1987 Spider Veloce, but both Veloce seats are leather. (A 1987 Spider Graduate would have the same seat style and pattern as a 1982 Veloce, but the seat material is vinyl...) Suede inserts were only OEM on the series 4 Spiders, which started in 1991. The series 4 Spider seats were vinyl and suede, whereas the series 4 Veloce seats were done in leather and suede.

Best regards,

#7 ·
The seats in their ebay ad are mine

I bought a set for my 86 quad from leatherseats.com about 3 years ago. They didnt have the grey leather, so I got black w/red stitching instead. They're absolutely beautiful and are the ones they're using on their ebay auctions. Think I paid about $350-400 and had a local shop install them.
Phil C

#8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to shoot leatherseats.com an email and see what a tan leather set with suede inserts would cost to stitch up for me. I can always reuse the black covers from World Upholstery in my S1 Spider, which has late-model S3 Veloce seats (with cracking leather that feels like cardboard). That way, I'll have better seats in 2 cars, and both will be restored to at least their proper colors. I know a '74 Spider isn't supposed to have Veloce seats with suede, but they're so much more comfortable and grippier on my body (not to mention having the shoulder harness guides).

#9 · (Edited)
The "suede" on all the Alfa S4 seats is of course synthetic, even on the seats that are otherwise leather. It is often referred to as "alcantara" which may be spelled wrong, I am not sure of this is a brand of fake (faux?) suede or what.

PS Alcantara is a brand name, they also own the name/product "ultrasuede" and they are an italian company

Alcantara®

#12 ·
letherseat.com, pair for????

Gentelment great post! :cool:

I am also looking into upholstery these days:confused:… I finish paying the debt of the paint job & chrome wheels these days, so my wife allows me start to look into it :D

Could you guys share how much the pair of leather seats actually cost at letherseat.com? :confused: thx!

I think all the way is the only way to go, 100% leather!;)... as me, Spider and Italian wife! :D, I have to add to that “Kid’s don’t try that at home” LOL :p… not a good combination! :D :rolleyes:LOL

I also was thinking about the suede insert, and maybe a good idea will be to instead of suede, reverse the same leather for those insert, which will give an almost the same look, but will increase the duration and resistance to the wear, tear and weather…

By the way Giovanni2000, outstanding picture! the seat looks superb! GOOD JOB!!! My complements!:cool:

Oooo, about the 100% Italian thing…I found a keychain in a Italian deli (Claros at San Gabriel, LA,CA, good stuff!) that says:

“Pray for me! My wife is Italian!”…:eek:

Ciao Ragazzi!
Carlos

#17 ·
Thanks CC...I paid $609 shipped...I am very pleased with the end result...
wutdhec, as far as the temp of the seats, I have only had a few hot days so far with pretty good results, although on one of those days I leaned the seat forward to keep it out of the sun

#18 · (Edited)
Leatherseats.com ripped me off!

I was real excited about getting these leather seats as mine have seen the last of their days. So I bought some from leatherseats.com on Ebay. 4 days After paying for them, I called and asked if they had sent them out! They replied to me and told me that they didn't have any in stock! Great a seller that sells something they don't have. I spoke to a guy there and he told me it would be a week. Then I called a week later and he said that they are still working on it! Horrible communication, I will never buy from these guys again!

So then I receive them and paid $50 extra for that "LOGO SPECIAL" What a crock. The logo was so big that it took away from the whole seat back itself! In the images on ebay, they look small and fitting to the seat size. I called him and he said he would have to charge me another $100 to make them smaller! Whatever! I sent them back and said, just take them out (I still lose my $50).

I shipped them back to him in 4 days. Then it took them another 8 days to replace the "Z" panel with a plain panel. The crazy thing is that I had to call him to check the progress in order for him to send them back to me. If I wouldn't have called, they would have blown me off until I called them. BAD BUSINESS!

BOTTOM LINE: If want your seat covers right away (I was in no hurry either) then expect about 14 days to receive them, if they are in stock, if not expect longer. Also if you like communication (I do, especially on Ebay) then this IS NOT the company to buy from!

Good luck!

#19 ·
well...another one for "no so good"...

I think that my vote goes for a local resource... I found a great guy aroud adn as soon as I am "Allow" to invest on the alfa (remember my IBM deal... ITALIAN BY MARRIAGE!!) I will see if this local shop does my seats and door all together...

Once again THX directcircuit for the report! and I am sorry that you have to go thru that...
regards!
Carlos

#20 ·
hello

Hello Mr. and Mrs

We are Partrim.
We are upholstery manufacturer of old cars.

We make upholstery for ;

VW
ALFA ROMEO
AUDI
CITROEN
FIAT
FORD
MERCEDES
MINI
OPEL
PEUGEOT
PORSCHE
AKSESUAR
INSULATION

Find more information about us please visit our website.

partrim.com

Greetings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.