Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Tapered Fill/Drain Plugs

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spiderserie4 
#1 ·
Hello All,

1991 Spider Veloce.

I am in the process of rebuilding my transmission.

One of the "while I am in there" items I am going to do is replace the gear box case, upper and lower, as my fill plug has always been stripped. DPO! >:)

So, I went to my local retired Alfa shop mechanic who has so many parts on shelves.

When we finally found a case that would work, it happen to have tapered fill and drain plugs.

Auto part

For some reason, I feel uncomfortable using the case and the plugs. The case threads are also tapered. Maybe because they are different, maybe because Alfa changed their design, I don't know.

So, what do you think? Go ahead and not worry about it or find another case?

As always, thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Vin

See less See more
#4 ·
I have never paid much attention to the type of threads on the transmission. Most are brass with a copper gasket which seals from leakage. Tapered threads are used where a gasket is not used. As you tighten the threads the increased diameter of the threads gradually seal the threads. If tapered threads are OEM or have been refitted and do not leak I see no problem with using tapered. The sole purpose of both plugs is to allow drainage or refilling.
Cheers, Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.