Alfa Romeo Forums banner

My 90 Spider Died ???

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  dghii 
#1 ·
I was driving and the car was running great. All of a sudden it just went dead. Nothing. No sputtering.. just dead. I know that there is a relay that controls the fuel pumps, ECU, and spark that may have gone out for no reason.... but I am looking for other areas to look at... all suggestions would be appreciated.

Being a 90 it is a series 4 motor with the Motronic ECU

#2 ·
If its not turning over at all you Must have a electrical issue..(Switch)?? If its cranking and not starting then look at relays or sensors..Fuel... Spark..

rob

#3 ·
crank the starter and check for spark, that is the first thing to do.

If no spark, I strongly suggest it is the motronic red stripe relay under the rear parcel shelf. You cannot swop this for one in the fuse box, as it is special, but you could check its resistance:
pull it out and with your voltmeter set to K.OHMS test the relay by putting the negative/black lead of your tester to relay pin #85 and the positive/red lead of the tester to relay pin #86 (pins are numbered) - you should get a reading of something like 0.60 – 0.77 K.Ohms (ie. 600-770 Ohms).
Whilst there check the 3 other normal relays in the same way: these should show 75-80 ohms.
The correct red stripe motronic relay is Bosch p/n: 0 332 014 112 (12V - 30A) or the Landrover p/n: AFU2913L works too.

But obviously check simple things like say the main HT lead has not simply come out of the coil.
If by dead you mean totally dead (like no lights, nothing) then check the battery leads are still attached.

If you have spark, then fuel needs to be checked next.

#4 · (Edited)
It happened to me driving it home from the sellers house, came to a stop light and died ,had it flat bedded home. Check the infamous bullet fuse under the parcel shelf,the case looks like a ball point pen. Cut it out and splice in a modern spade/blade fuse holder, 7.5 amps.THANKS to the advice on this FORUM, I replaced mine , starts every time.

#6 ·
Check the crank sensor. Front of the engine at about 4 o'clock if you're looking at the engine from the front. First make sure it's still in place, second test it. Mine actually fell off at one point, causing instant "death". There are testing instructions around here somewhere. But nothing works without that sensor.

Reactions: aldo
#7 ·
I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump relay it went out once before. I have extra 'red stripe' relays that seem to work the same as the two relays in the attached picture. The only difference is the diode. Can a red stripe relay work in place of the two relays pictured?

Attachments

#8 ·
Please clarify 'Dead' as it can mean many things to many different owners....
1. Car has no electrical power.
2. Car has power to some components (lights, buzzers etc.) but will not spin the starter.
3. Car cranks but will not start.

I know there are other states of dead but your help will depend on providing a little more clarification.

#9 ·
Like I stated the car was running great and then all of a sudden no power 'dead'. The car cranks but will not start. My gut feel is that one (probably relay 1 in the ECU (on the left as you face the ECU)) crapped out. That relay provides the power to the fuel pumps as well as the ECU for spark. It happened once before but I was told it was the ignition switch. I replaced the switch but it still did not start. I replaced the relays and it fired right up. That was in 2011.

#12 ·
Are you hearing a double click when first attempting to start? if not the relays or Power to the relays is the source..

You can test the fuel pump by getting power to them, Direct, and see if they run, If so work back for the problem..

rob

#14 ·
I ran a Wire from a power source to the positive side of the in line Pump. On Mine it didn't work, I took it off and did it on a bench . I tapped it a few times and it ran... Check first that there is Power to the pump. If not you have a different issue first...
Im sure you did check, but check Gas level...lol...

rob

#15 ·
Jim, have you actually confirmed no spark? or no fuel?
(or both are out?)

to test the 3 normal relays back there (other than wondering if the red stripe works in their place, which I am not sure about, tbh...), take them out and place one at a time in the fuse box in place of the horn relay (top left)...then blow the horn.
Horn works, relays good.

#16 ·
The red stripe relay will work in place of the others. The diode in it stops current spikes going the wrong way and doing something nasty to the ECU, as I understand it, but the basic relay function is the same as the other ones .

#18 ·
spiderserie4 ....

Thanks for the tip and easy way to test. It turned out to be relay #1. It services the fuel pump and spark. I replaced it with the horn relay and it fired right up.

Jim

#20 ·
Jumping in here after the fact now that my new (to me) 87 veloce crapped out on me the other day. I am confused as I read the resolution to the problem. Was relay #1 responsible for fuel pump and spark as noted or fuel pump/ecu as noted? a couple people asked if car was getting spark or not and never established...was it both? thank u.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.