Sad news - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-01-2004, 05:55 AM

Sad news

Well, the (somewhat) infamous $700 '73 Spider is history. Last night on my way home from work a Honda minivan with a teenage girl driver turned left into the left front of the Spider, basically destroying it. Fortunately I walked away from it, sore, a couple of small cuts and such, but from what I could see, the car's frame is completely bent out of shape- driver door does not open, pass door sprung off it's latch, floor/firewall buckled. Later today I will see the car to get belongings, after I see the doctor for my very painful ribs. I will continue to sporadically read this bb, as you folks are very knowledgeable, and entertaining! Maybe when all the dust settles I can find another Spider, although I probably won't get the same deal! I think that was a once-in-a-lifetime buy.
I'm curious, my car has some great parts- new cloth top, rollbar, brand new (205-60-15 Dunlops), the Mustang wheels, etc. If anyone (preferably local) is REALLY interested, I thought about buying it back as a total and parting it out. Reply here, or e-mail me (please include 'Spider' in subject line) at jbt56@sonic.net OR jeff.thomas@flowmastermufflers.com

Thanks for reading, sorry to ramble.

73 Spider-deceased
97 M3
56 F-100 [/FONT][/I]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2004, 06:01 AM

Man, that sucks. Glad you're OK - that's the best part.

And check your email.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:02 AM

I had a car totalled by an errant driver a couple of years ago (not an alfa, just a BMW), and was happy to walk away.

Good to hear you're not seriously injured...take time to recover, then look for a better car. That's what I did...and I ended up with an alfa.

Take care...

1982 Spider
Old 04-01-2004, 06:24 AM

Glad you are ok, too! I was in Atlanta a couple days ago and saw a black S4 on the side of the highway that was pretty badly crunched on the driver's side. The driver looked ok in that one too.

Always sad to see Italian metal bend.

Hopefully you'll get another Spider when time, money, etc. allows. How was the teenager? I would expect she fared pretty well in the minivan...
Old 04-01-2004, 07:53 AM

That's really bad luck - sounds like you had found one h*ll of a deal for $700. Glad to hear you walked away from it fine.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 AM

Sorry to hear that Jeff, that sucks big time. I hate those friggin' SUV's and minivans. I live in Richmond, VA which gets about 1/4 inch of snow a year but every a**hole in the city has to have a 4 wheel drive behemoth which you can't see around and has a bumper right at killing height.

On a kind of related note, anyone know where I can get insurance for a weekend driver that will recompense me more than the $3500 book value of my 86 Graduate? I think this was addressed in a previous thread but I can't seem to find it.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:23 AM

Doc,

I think if you just do a google search under classic car insurance you'll find several companies to choose from. Most put some restrictions on your car (must not be primary vehicle, 3000 miles per year, no under 25 drivers, etc) but will give you full-coverage insurance for $300 per year or less. The common policies allow you to agree on a set value for your car should it get totalled.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Hey Jeff,
I'd be real interested in the top you mentioned. I'd also love to replace the homemade console with a factory one. There are probably a number of parts that would sell well on eBay helping out other Alfa owners. Please let me know what you decide to do.
Thanks Much,
Paul
Old 04-01-2004, 12:21 PM

The other guy's insurance should replace your car. You don't have to sell it to them at your cost. Fundamentally, they should supply you with another Spider in the same or better condition. In practice, they should give you sufficient funds to get one. If not, then something is wrong. There is enough variability in value of Spiders that you should get some kind of real assessment of the value of the car instead of asking them to buy it for cost. You wouldn't have sold it to anyone for your direct costs, would you?

I've had one collision incident in my life, and like yours, it was the walk-away-from kind. As everyone says, those are the best kind, and I'm glad yours was. Wealth is secondary to health.

Michael

Last edited by MrT; 04-01-2004 at 06:49 PM. Reason: to add condolences and well-wishes
Old 04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John M Send a message via Yahoo to John M
Sad to hear Jeff. ALFA - always looking for another.....perhaps quicker than expected now you have an excuse. I would buy the car back after settlement. You will make your money back and then quite a bit more. Lots of good bits within the sheet metal. A good long term source of parts for your next....if you go that route.

Good thing you weren't too beat up. As much as I love them, I have always considered these puppies a death trap.....not so different from a motorcycle....and I have owned 3 spiders and a CBR600...go figure. So its very good news that you were able to walk away. So what are you going to get next?

Best Regards,
John M
1991 AR 164L........................the fourth and traded on the SS....Rosso
1965 AR Sprint Speciale..........the fifth...in boxes....sold....Bianco
1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the sixth gone to be a parts car...slow black
1993 AR Spider Veloce...........the seventh, freshening up to be sold....Verde Inglese
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi.............the first, fresh restore....Azzurro
Old 04-01-2004, 02:05 PM

Just joined....

Sorry to hear of your accident. By now its ancient history, but seeing that I live in Santa Rosa, I would like to know if you have any parts left from your SPIDER. Ger
Old 04-01-2004, 02:46 PM

Lucky to be okay

Like everyone else I too would like to say how sorry I am about your car, but luckily you're okay.
About 3 years ago, I was driving in my dad's Milano and my MOM hit the back of our car with her Volvo stationwagon. Luckly everyone was okay, but she totalled out the Alfa.
We bought it back from the state and now I am driving it around, and although it has a "salvaged" title, I still love it! Oh, by the way, my dad bought a 911SC following the accident - my mom kind of owed it to him.
So, although you got hit, look on the bright side: 1) you weren't killed or seiously injured and 2) You may get a better car in the end...of course not for $700. Man that was a good deal.

Take care...
Old 04-01-2004, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I'll miss that little car. I was just getting to know it, and be friends with it. The 4 teens in the minivan were unhurt. Heck, their air bags didn't even pop. The van was just getting going, while I was going about 35 mph. I saw the Spider today in the tow lot, and wow... The entire left front is wiped out, to about halfway down the door. The door itself is pushed back about an inch and jammed shut, while the right door popped off the latch, and no longer closes. The trunk lid might be straight, but the rest of the car is BENT. The floor on the left is heavily buckled, and the windshield shattered from deformation of the body. The left front suspension is bent/broken, too. After the impact, the l/f tire was at 90 degres to the body. Ugh. As far as parting out the car, the biggest problem I'll face is living in a rented house. My landlady will have a cow if theres a wreck parked out front! I don't know how long the insurance will drag their feet, but I'll look for either another Spider, or possibly a hot rod roadster to keep my '56 company when all is said and done.
I'll keep you posted as far as if or when I get the car back.

73 Spider-deceased
97 M3
56 F-100 [/FONT][/I]
Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 PM

Jeff, I also want to add my condolanaces and glad you're not seriously hurt. I have enjoyed you're posts, hope you find another Alfa. It's good to see people who are interested in driving and preserving these cars own them!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 PM

Glad you are ok Jeff. You can always replace the tin...

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.