Alfa Romeo Forums banner

69 Springs

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gprocket 
#1 ·
Hello Alfisti,
I've come to the conclusion that I will be needing to change out the springs(factory) on my 69 spider. I have a few questions for the experts.
1) Im thinking the yellow centerline springs, with the spacers. I had installed these on my kamm tail w/o the spacers and it was way too low for my liking. Will the spacers work with these yellows? What will it ride like and height?
2)Are the springs for all spiders the same? I've seen conflicting info suggesting that the fronts are all the same, but the rear changed from '69 on.
3)while i'm doing this, any other bits to change out? The suspension seems pretty stock. Keep in mind, Im on a budget and would like to change out pieces that will have to be removed to change out the springs. L
Thanks in advance..

#7 ·
Sorry to interject

Well this is my red '69 Spider with the Classic Alfa springs designed by Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey. Low but decent ride. Konis set to medium up front is important as your sump is pretty close to the ground.

View attachment 967041
love the photo of your car! Nice ride height.

I have the same car with the same Harvey-Bailey springs by Classic Alfa but my car ride much higher than yours :frown2: I do not have spacer in my suspension. What sized tires do you have?

Thanks
fgc
67 spider

#6 ·
Shock choices are also important when going to shorter and stiffer springs. While a lot of people use Koni red shocks adjusted for extra stiffness, I always preferred Koni yellow sports setting shocks. Currently, I'm running Koni yellow sports setting shocks front and rear on my Super with stock suspension. I like this combination very much. Alfaholics recommends Koni yellows for their "fast road suspension kits". Not many people know that EB Spares in the UK have long offered Bilstein gas shocks with their own valving, specially designed for 105 Alfas. If I had realized they still offered these shocks, I might well have bought them instead of the Koni yellows. Shorter, stiffer springs will work better with correspondingly stiffer shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.