New Spica Pump! About to install.... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-25-2004, 12:29 PM

New Spica Pump! About to install....

Here's a pic.

I'm drinknig a cup of coffee before I attempt the install. Please pray for me.
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 06:31 PM

Install going slow - I'll copy some of the problems I described in an email to Roadtrip...

1) The low fuel pressure light will not turn off. This DID NOT happen with the last pump. Can;t figure that out, and I'm kinda stuck. Car won;t really run.

2) I think I blew the cold start solenoid out. My car had a bypass switch, so I had to wire the soleoid to my starter. I wired it to the hot section. Like the really hot part. I had discussed this with Herb, he made no objection. But I don;t think the opaque yellow stuff on top of the solenoid is supposed to get soft and emit trace smoke. Bummer.

I'm really, really hoping I don;t have to remove the pump again to get the cold start solenoid fixed, if I indeed blew it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:20 PM

That sucks.

You should be able to get the CSS out without removing the whole pump. Do you have Wes Ingram's SPICA book?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
JC -
Check your email. I have a spare CSS if its needed. Yours may still be ok though. Check it tomorrow. On the CSS, it's theoretically possible to replace it in-situ, but pretty darn difficult. You have to remove a really small cotter pin through the rear inspection plate and remove a larger lynchpin out the side inspection plate . . . . . without dropping them back down into the pump. Then you have to get them back in again, probably using a mirror. Bill on the board here replaced a compensator link spring in-situ a few months ago. That impressed the heck out of me.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:07 AM

Talking

CSS is still OK. And now, it should be wired properly.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:25 AM

Check the pressure releif valve, should be on your mainfuelfilter.
This is the part missing in Wes book
greetings
Bernhard
Old 03-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

spica

You may want to call Peter D'Amico in Vineland NJ.
Company is Fast Auto. Supposed to have on of the only Spica Pump test machines in the US. Rebuilt mine in 94 and has worked fine.
Phone is 856.794.2020. Many say he is one of the best with these pumps.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpile

CSS is still OK. And now, it should be wired properly.
Bumping this. My CSS now seems to have failed. The car starts fine - I don't think it's stuck 'on'. But I don;t get any high idles (always below 1k) on startup, and I was bored and figured I'd test it.

I warmed the engine and ran a hot lead to the CSS - nothing. No change in idle.

Any other method of testing?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Could you hear an audible 'click' from the CSS when you connected the hot wire?

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam
Could you hear an audible 'click' from the CSS when you connected the hot wire?

No. And I remembered that sound from when i tested it last year.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Seems to me then that the CSS is kaput (or frozen).

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV

Last edited by papajam; 07-17-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:10 AM

Yep.

It's quite frustrating. There is nobody within 150 miles who knows SPICA pumps - heck I probably know as much as many others closerby, but I just don't have the time to do the work as I had twins a month ago.

Plus - after I changed the pump, an oil leak sprang up between the timing chain cover and the cylinder head - a gusher. So the car hasn't been driven 1000 miles in 15 months. Additionally, I have an internal engine problem which leads to smoking on decel. Unsure whether it's rings or valve seals / guides. Leak down test makes me think seals/guides.

So - I think the engine needs to come out. I found a guy who can do some work - but he's never seen a SPICA pump. So, that's not much help.

I'd consider pulling the engine on my own with help from another local board member, saving some $$ on that labor and installing the pump myself - except i'm not very good at it. Also, with that amount of $$ and time invested, I'd expect the dang thing to work. And with the twins - time isn't there.

Which leads me to my point - I'm considering switching to Webers. I don't like the idea, but most any 'foreign sports car' mechanic will be familiar with them. Since I'm pulling the motor, I could get a ported head and some high compression pistons, which I couldn't really do without having Wes build ANOTHER pump for me to handle the higher performance engine.

Basically - what I got with my SPICA install was about $700 in knowledge that I've got alot of other things to do that cost alot more $$!! But my car doesn't run any better at all, and has a new oil leak. Doesn't inspre confidence in doing future projects on my own.

Of course, I could just pull the motor and replace with a standard head and hope the smoke on decel is just the valves, and get a new CSS. I'd save money at least.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:47 AM

Hi
I do know the frustration. But with me driving a Spica injected car in Europe it is much more frustating. But with the help of this board and of corse of its members I was able to get my car back on the road. And it is still there. I do not think that it will be easier for you with carbs I think it will be more difficult.
Its just that these cars do not like to sit in the garage they have to to be driven.
Anyway good luck
Bernhard
Old 07-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

In my opinion, stick with the SPICA. You've already done all the heavy lifting. You are going to need to fix the other problems anyway and introducing Webers isn't going to make life easier. A mechanic that can follow directions and has a new SPICA and a stock engine should have no problem setting things up properly. On the other hand, a tuner engine w/ Webers, HiPo Head, pistons, cams, cams, re-jetted, perhaps a breakerless ignition - try finding the right guy to sort that out.

Have another cup of coffee and go at it again. If you're blowing smoke you're probably looking at valve guides/seals - that's not too bad of a fix. Pull the engine, pull the head, find and fix the leak, replace the valve guides/seals, replace worn chain, valve shims, etc, and you'll be the best Alfa mechanic in 150 miles.

Don't give up now, you're only a few hundred dollars from the finish line!

- Rich D.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:03 PM

I called Ingram - he swears the CSS isn't bad. He also swears that the smoke on decel is rings, not seals.

I'm actually thinking about sending my motor to him, getting the HP SPICA, and paying him alot of $ to do a knockout job of a stage 1 rebuild.

He stated - multiple times as I kept repeating myself and expecting to hear something different - that if i pull the power from the CSS, the car won't start at all. I still can't make sense of that, but haven't had the spare 20 minutes to yank it and try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.