Speedo / tach repair - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-21-2004, 08:33 AM

Speedo / tach repair

Mine are all messed up. The tach seems to run very 'high'. I have a posi rear end, I think in 5th gear my speed should be double, if so it has me doing 70 alot. I bought a cheapo 'untested' of Ebay that also seems shot - the turn mechanism on the back is sticky.

How can I test the cables?

Hey - John S. - Do I need a functional tach to setup my Spica?

MY Speedo worked, but also seemed high, then would intermittently get 'stuck' or start flying all over until it finally one day quit altogether.

Anybody know where original speedos can get repaired, and do they kill you $$? I found a crazy site that said how to do it yourself, but the Alfa 140 mph speedos weren't covered.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
JC - Have you checked you tach and speedo cables? Erratic needles are usually an indication of either cables that are unravelling, or need lubrication. Also, did you have someone follow you with another car with a known good speedometer to compare readings?

When you have you instruments out, pull out the center drive cable and inspect it. It could be also that the casing is damaged or kinked causing the inner cable to bind when it tries to turn.

As far as setting up your new fuel injection pump, it's best to have a tach. I use an electronic automotive analyzer instead of the car's tach. It's useful for seeing exactly what the idle speed is and also important for setting the mixture, if you don't have a exhaust analyzer (not many people do). Looking for 600-900 rpm at idle and for setting the mixture, you'll set the engine speed at a constant 2500 rpm, then adjust the mixture for peak rpm. An electronic instrument is more accurate and sensitive to small rpm changes that the car's tach.

Last edited by Roadtrip; 03-21-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

I think the first thing to do would be to confirm the tach's accuracy (or lack thereof) by comparing it's readings thru the rev range with an electronic tach of known accuracy.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 03-21-2004, 10:48 AM

Where does one aquire an electronic tach? Auto Zone?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
They're usually sold under "Engine Analyzers". They're multifunction and measure volts, amps, rpm, dwell, ohms, etc and are useful for testing points, alternators, tuneups, batteries, etc. They're regularly available on ebay pretty cheap. Since you have a points ignition, you should have a dwell meter. New, Walmart (ugh, wretch) or other discount automotive sections may have them as well as the automotive specialty discounters.

This looks like it could turn out to be a very good price on an analyzer and an inductive timing light, which is very very useful in determining ignition problems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468293889

Last edited by Roadtrip; 03-21-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:08 PM

There's a place called Palo Alto Speedometer that has been recommended to me.

I asked them for a quote on a speedo once, and they estimated $180, but can't give you a firm number unless you send it in. You are probably better off getting replacements from ebay unless there is something special about yours.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:33 PM

Just to get this in the info queue....

I am a satisfied customer of North Hollywood Speedo in (Guess where?) North Hollywood, Ca. They refurbished my '79 Jaeger speedo. It failed in the same way 9 mos. or so later and they honored a 1 yr. warrantee. It's still working just fine, 2.5 yrs after they had it the second time.

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

As I recall, cost was between $130-$150 in late 2000, plus shipping, with a 2-3 wk turnaround then.

Std disclaimer: no association with vendor except as one-time and satisfied customer.

Michael
Old 03-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John M Send a message via Yahoo to John M
Here is an ebay speed and tach from a 78, both for sale by the same guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468148505

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468261011

Best Regards,
John M
1991 AR 164L........................the fourth and traded on the SS....Rosso
1965 AR Sprint Speciale..........the fifth...in boxes....sold....Bianco
1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the sixth gone to be a parts car...slow black
1993 AR Spider Veloce...........the seventh, freshening up to be sold....Verde Inglese
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi.............the first, fresh restore....Azzurro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.