Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Opinions: Wheel/ Rim change

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  AkioOhtori 
#1 ·
I am having a hard time deciding something. My S3 Spider has some interesting, but not my style, mesh alloys on it at present. My plan has always been to replace them with... something, likely stock. Short term plan was to Plastidip them Anthracite grey. (I've had good luck with Plastidip in the past)

Now, come to find out they're actually worth some money? They are Hayashi Racing Perrier wheels which I guess were originally for a 1st gen RX7, best I can determine. In good condition, which mine are, I should be able to get about a grand for them.

This doesn't change my plan for ditching them, but it does make me uncomfortable plastidipping them.

Question(s):
How easy would it be to acquire real stock or repo stock look rims?
What should I expect to pay? I've seen everywhere from $25 ea to $300 ea...
Should I get 14s or 15s?
To plastidip or to not plastidip?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
Haha luckily plastidip is, presumably, non-destructive and reversible.

My plan is/was to dip them in a dark grey metallic with 3D printed faux Afla enter caps. (After I found out the Hayashi Center caps may be worth something I decided not to modify them) Now if I can find suitable replacements... not so sure.

#4 ·
I kinda like those!! Panasports cant be beat tho. ciao, chris

#6 ·
I suppose taste is highly subjective. :surprise: And I have absolutely no problem sharing mine:

Dipped or not, I do not like them, I do not like the color and I do not like the lacy texture, it's at once too delicate and too ostentatious for the car. If you can get a thousand dollars for them, cash the check immediately.

Also, the aspect ratio (the height of the tire from the ground to the edge of the rim) of the tires on the car look wrong. The whole thing, meh. I agree with your desire here to change everything.

I'd go with 15" wheels and Yoko S. Drive 205/55's, they're a great summer performance tire.

#10 ·
I know I'm biased but I think the best wheels on a 70s/80s Spider are Cromodora Daytona Star CN36's. I know Alfa used some copies of them in the 80s but I've never liked the thicker outer edges of the rims. I put magnesium Cromodoras on my '73 back in '83 and, although I agonized about the price back then, about $500 for the set of 4 if I recall correctly (as a USN LT then I wasn't exactly "rich"), I have never regretted it. They make aluminum versions of the Cromodoras now and that design is just the "perfect" wheel for the car. Here is a photo of my old girl 2 months ago when it got a new top:

Attachments

#11 ·
I love me a silver Alfa. While anything is better than dirty turbinas (or clean ones for that matter) the Croms are period performance. I just put Rota's on, and I can't go back to the Croms.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my rims. Cromodoras probably aren't worth much...

#13 ·
Again I come bearing news, but little in the way of pictures! I ended up plastidipping the wheels and they look stellar. Like 100% better. Working on fixing the 3D printer so I can print me some "Alfa" wheel caps asap!

They're still for sale at the same price as before, but no urgency here.

I'll post better pictures once I get the new wheel caps printed.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have those wheels on my black spider and they look pretty good. I spent a lot of time polishing the rim with steel wool and 00 scotch pads. Keep it going round and round so that the tiny scratches look like brushed aluminum. They polish up nicely with metal polish. Mine are 14s. I think 14s give you a little quicker time thru the gears.
I have tried 15s on the same car and it is a different feel. It feels slower on take off. But I haven't timed it. It needs
a colorful Alfa badge on the center caps.

#18 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Remember to stay close to factory tyre diameter or you'll mess up gear ratios.. Some fail to factor this and tyre guys are happy to sell you what they have. I've never seen a tyre salesman ever check factory sizes for any car ever...!! 24.2 inch top to bottom diameter
We check factory sizes and we generally encourage people to stick with Original equipment to keep the handling nice and light and progressive. Just the way Alfa intended 165X14 Pirelli Cinturato CA67

Pirelli will also soon be making a 185/70VR14 Cinturato CN36 for people that want to fit a larger tyre.

#22 ·
Oh my. I "accidentally" bought some Porsche 924 477601031B wheels. I'll stick with the Hayashis for the moment, but now I have a spare set of 14s which is nice. I think they look a lot like Rotas, but with a little more visual interest to my eye. (No offense intended!) [Stock photo attached, don't have the real thing yet]

Attachments

#24 ·
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think that the wheels..chromodoro turbinos, or star are the best for the car. The Turbinos are very light..less unsprung weight...makes a big difference in the ride and handling. You pays your moneys and takes your chances... Turbinos really look fast on a RED spyder, especially when the roof is down, and a young blond is driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.