5Likes
  • 2 Post By spiderserie4
  • 1 Post By Norseman50
  • 2 Post By Norseman50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Cowel vent question

Does anyone know how the cowel vent is attached? Is it held by clips or prongs? I noticed mine is loose on the drivers side. My workshop manual has a vague visual on how exactly it's held together. Thanks.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 AM

if you mean the plastic vent itself, it is held on by 10 little plastic "hats" with screws from underneath (4 each side and 2 in the middle).......crappy things break off in fear if you say "boo!" to them!
(see photo)
But generally when they break, the actual plastic vent piece is broken (the little nubbins molded into the underside where the screws screw into)

Shakey has very kindly done a 3D drawing for the hats:
3d Printed Parts

If you on the other hand mean the whole cowl vent and plastic together, then that is held on by 4 screws near the bonnet seal, the wiper arms and the 7 to 10 hooks underneath the windscreen seal at the bottom.
Attached Images

Norseman50 and BiancaSpider like this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 07-08-2015 at 11:14 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Hard to improve on Dom's excellent description of the assembly above, but I just happened to have a close up photo of the screws and black plastic 'top hat' washers that secure the plastic driver's side vent to the cowl cover. If your vent is loose, chances are some of the screws have fallen out, or the bosses that they screw into are broken off:
Attached Images

BiancaSpider likes this.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Excellent picture Norseman. It displays exactly what's underneath there. My next question is... I assume the vent simply "snaps" or "clicks" on these top hats. I'm afraid to pry the whole the vent off in fear it might damage or crack the remaining "good" ones. I probably need one or two replacements for that side to tidy it up.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish343434 View Post
Excellent picture Norseman. It displays exactly what's underneath there. My next question is... I assume the vent simply "snaps" or "clicks" on these top hats. I'm afraid to pry the whole the vent off in fear it might damage or crack the remaining "good" ones. I probably need one or two replacements for that side to tidy it up.
No, no! don't pry anything!!

there are screws on the top hats, underneath (clearly seen in Norseman's photo!)
only way to remove the plastic vent from the metal, is to remove the whole cowl vent and turn it over, then unscrew the 10 hats and lift off the plastic (see my photo above of vent turned over and resting on motor)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ahhhhh...

Now I see after looking at it a second and third time.

Yes... Prying = Very Bad
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:13 AM

Garage
The cowling is held in place by the plastic hats adn screws. I went to my local Ace hardware store and found some suitable caps that will work. I only had 2 or 3 holding m cover in place. If you get the right length you won't have to sue a flat washer on the bottom as a spacer and wide base support. I figured out which screws to get too. Ace has lots of bins to sort through when you need something creative. So the cowl is back on, the vent cover is in place under the windshield.
You said there is a rubber gasket that goes under the lip like the one on the earlier 105 cars?

I was more or less asking what holds the metal vent cover in place to the body? There are 4 holes and I have nothing to put in them as that is how I got the car. Suggestions are appreciated.

This thread can cover both topics.

Thank you for the great photos.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
I was more or less asking what holds the metal vent cover in place to the body? There are 4 holes and I have nothing to put in them as that is how I got the car. Suggestions are appreciated.
The aft side of the cowl plate slips (or is wedged) into the forked metal clips that are embedded under the windshield seal. There is a rubber air dam/gasket sandwiched between the front edge of the cowl cover and upper flange on the firewall by 4 sheet metal screws that thread into 4 separate plastic body panel retainer clips/nuts. I don't think the style of the plastic "nuts" matters much, as long as they fit under the firewall flange and the sheet metal screws you use thread into them.

You could probably get by using something like these under the firewall flange as your plastic "nuts":

10X GENUINE MOUTING CLIPS VW SEAT FIAT LANCIA ALFA ROMEO NUT CLIPS FASTENERS | eBay

Here's a photo of the rubber seal that goes between the cowl plate and the firewall. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the plastic nuts when I had the cowl apart.

Good luck!
Attached Images

spiderserie4 and BiancaSpider like this.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"

Last edited by Norseman50; 03-20-2017 at 08:01 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 AM

exactly as Edward describes.

(and as answered on your other post about this
S4 vent cowling)

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM

Garage
Yep, I have to order that rubber seal. I can take the image you sent me down to ACE and see what is in the bins that I can use. Just a wide phillips screw like shown and a corresponding nut to go underneath. Thank you for the help.

I was able to find in the bins at ACE some plastic caps that had a hole in the middle and a corresponding screw that went through just enough to get some bite on what was left in the plastic to hold the cowl vent down.

It never ceases to amaze me what people have done to these great cars over the course of 25 years to screw them up so bad they wind up being parked and turned into junk.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The True Alfisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Yep, I have to order that rubber seal. I can take the image you sent me down to ACE and see what is in the bins that I can use. Just a wide phillips screw like shown and a corresponding nut to go underneath. Thank you for the help.

I was able to find in the bins at ACE some plastic caps that had a hole in the middle and a corresponding screw that went through just enough to get some bite on what was left in the plastic to hold the cowl vent down.

It never ceases to amaze me what people have done to these great cars over the course of 25 years to screw them up so bad they wind up being parked and turned into junk.
But it is people like you, Dom and Edward that keep 'em on the road!

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21
Greg
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:40 AM

I knew I'd kept a photo of those screws/plastic nuts somewhere.......

Some cowl/wiper questions

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

I like how you put tape on the windshield to place the wiper arms back in the same position...wish I had thought of that yesterday!

BTW, I found out why my sprayer never worked after 4yrs of ownership:

Must have gotten pinched from when the DPO fiddled around in there. Also, my sprayers are both clogged from when Maaco had the car last... Just ordered new.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6

Last edited by John533i; 03-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:03 PM

I've 3D printed those plastic mounts:

3D Printed Parts post #124

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode