Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Strange problem

827 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ljayr 
#1 ·
I have an 87 Spiderwith a strange (to me) problem. Everything on the dash works with the exception of the turn signal indicator light. Whenever the car gets wet from rain or even from a light wash, the indicator works but also a buzzer (key left in switch?) starts buzzing. I have cleaned every ground I can find and nothing changes. Does anyone know of a ground location I may be missing? No water comes into the car so I have ruled out a cowl drain that may be wetting something. Also, the buzzer only works when the car gets wet, not if I actually leave the key in the switch, and all of the plunger type switches have been removed from the door jambs. I am at a loss for what to check next.

#2 ·
If everything works and it's just the buzzer going off I think I would consider pulling the buzzer. But I agree, it does sound like a ground issue. I'm thinking that the only exposed ground (other than the main motor ground ) would be at the headlights. Maybe try adding another ground from headlights to body...

#3 ·
To me it sounds like you are describing character. Every Italian car that I've owned has some sort of quirk to it.

If you don't care for that kind of charm you could try isolating the trouble area with a garden hose. Try getting just one quarter of the car wet and see if the problem is reproducible that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.