Alfa Romeo Forums banner

standard DIN radio in Series 2?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Boobea 
#1 · (Edited)
I've searched through the forum (and probably missed it!). But will a standard DIN in-dash radio bit a Series 2 (1981)? I'm guessing there's enough depth, but the POS JVC currently in the car had to have the top of the bezel cut to clear the lower two warning lights. And if it fits, I know there will be some cutting (Crutchfield says so, in strong terms), but how bad is it really?

Anyway, the JVC has to go, and I'd like to go standard DIN for the flexibility in choice (Just put an Alpine CDA-9883 in another car and, I must say, I'm impressed).

As a secondary question, the current radio is wired to a constant power source. What's the best place to find a switched power source? (I can't say that anything electrical on this car makes a great deal of sense to me:confused: )

#4 ·
The series 2 and series 3a (through '85) are the same, and both have plenty of space for a modern radio. The series 3b also has the same space to mount a radio, but in the top area of the center dash there are vents instead of gauges. Depending on how you do the installation, you or may not have to cut into the rim around the gauges... The older Alfas, at least through the series 3a were not wired like modern cars, and the radio is hooked to a constant power source. This will drain your battery. With the older radios, when they are turned off, there is no power. Re-configuring the set-up so that the power is cut off when the ignition key is removed is what some people do. One way to do this is to switch the ignition for one from a series 3b. If you are uncomfortable re-wiring, then another option is to install a battery cutoff switch, which you can use if the car isn't going to be driven for more than just a few days.

Best regards,

#5 ·
Killing all current to the radio removes all the presets. This rapidly becomes an annoyance. I just use a battery maintainer. Black & Decker was less than $20 at WalMart. Keeps the battery, radio and me happy. Comes with a quick connect/disconnect. My car is garaged, so it is no hassel.

#6 ·
I just installed a DIN mount in my '82. It was a PITA to cut out the dash but it was worth it to get modern tunes. One thing that I did was to make a patern the outside of which was the same as the outside of the bezel and the the inside the size if the DIN mount. Using the patern I scribed a line for the cut. HINT, get the silver Dremel abrasive wheels. They last much longer. Be prepaired to clean up a mess of metal shavings and dust from the discs.

There is plenty of room for my Sony radio but no place to support the case other than the face of the dash. To solve that problem I stuck a small piece of wood to the top of the heater ducting for the radio to sit upon.

I would suggest using the hot & switched power for best results.

#9 ·
I in stalled a standard DIN radio in my 1985. I have the battery problem, but i just disconnect the battery when I'm done using the car. I only drive it on weekends, so during the week it just sits. I use the stereo for my iPod, so I don't care about losing the clock or the radio presets.

#10 ·
Interesting comments here. I have a series two (1979) and installed a din standard radio. I couldnt cut the dash, so I went to a chain electronics store and paid the guy $30 to cut the dash for me. Did a pretty good job - sized correctly and easy to fit the radio sleeve. I had enough clearance to but a strap in the back of the radio, which is similar to what was there - ot hooks to the heater housing, as I recall (its been two years since I installed it).

I installed a panasonic radio, and a CD changer in the trunk. It has a detachable face. As long as the face is off, and the clock is not running, the draw to maintain the presets seems negligible. I havent had a dead battery since installation, and i dont drive the car all that much. You may need to have your charging system checked if you often find a dead battery.

As for the non-switched power, i just live with it and remind myself to turn off the radio, or remove the faceplate, which does the same thing.

#13 · (Edited)
I could not bear to chop up my uncracked original RHD dashboard, so instead left the original (non functioning ) radio in place, and installed a new head unit in a pod under the LH side of dash, below glove box. 6 CD changer mounted remotely in the boot. It is not ideal, but the stereo does have a remote (of sorts) that can be attached to the handbrake lever, to operate volume, change channels, etc while on the go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.