Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Mount Engine to Engine Stand?

10K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tom shewchuk 
#1 ·
I bought a used engine stand and I think I should have taken a closer look before I did. Is there some way to mount a Spider engine to a stand? I don't like the looks of the 4 studs that hold the bell housing on and I don't see any other threaded holes to attach to. I put a Ford 302 marine engine on a stand and it was solid as a rock but the aluminum block of this Alfa engine makes me nervous.
Thanks Much,
NH Rick

#2 ·
I cobbled up some spacers to bolt it to the side of the block - where the motor mounts attach.

I've seen plans for a adapter that bolts to the motor mount area. And a picture of one made with a piece of square tubing.

Attachments

#3 ·
I was lucky enough to borrow a stand adapter from GTV4EVER.

Similar to the last picture above, it is made from a 6x6 tube steel.

It is 5" wide. Uses the adapter the stand comes with as well as the engine mount bolts.

Having trouble uploading pictures. Getting a message saying the max size is 700 x 0, whatever that means.

Good luck,

Vin

#5 ·
This set up also provides a great shelf to use.

I put magnetic trays on both sides, so that no matter if I was working on the top or the bottem end, I had those trays to hold stuff.

It was great to have.

Auto part

Vin

#7 ·
Actually Vin, that picture was of the one you borrowed ��
Hi Ken,

Yes, that is the one I was lucky enough to borrow from you as said in post 3.

Do you have another?

Thanks again, it was invaluable!

Vin

#10 · (Edited)
We rebuilt our spider engine last year using a cheapie engine stand attached to the transmission mating surface. I have seen most (all) Alfa engines are attached to the side (motor mount) area of the block.
Either mounting system is fine and neither are going to drop the engine on your toes while you are torquing something.

I prefer the side mount because I like tilting the engine so the crankshaft axis is vertical for some operations. E.g., it's nice having the engine "nose down" when installing the front cover so the oil slinger is retained by gravity (I pre-install the oil pump to the front cover). "Nose down" also works well for installing the flywheel and pressure plate.

But the side mounting is a nice-to-have, not a got-to-have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.