Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Why are all the steel bumper cars '74's?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  alfaparticle 
#1 ·
After being so disappointed in the last '74 I bought and parted out I've been keeping an eye out for another steel bumper car.
The Duettos I really want are just too expensive so I'm stuck with a square tail.

Found two more for sale recently, one of which is already stripped of it's bumpers and probably just another parts car.
Intending to buy the other if the description is accurate.

Funny thing is that these are ALLWAYS 74's.

Why no 71-73's?

#4 ·
GRRR! Wish I had that much money available.

Almost too good to be true.
Should have sold already.
Cannot quite afford it.

#3 ·
Square tail spiders with stainless bumpers were sold in the US from 71 - 74. IMO 71's & 72's have nicer bumpers (and the cars are lighter). A few 70's made it into the US from Canada and they were full European spec.

#6 ·
Got more details on the '74 today.
A bit discouraging.
Seller now says he found rust spots "The size of a quarter" in the fender behind the front wheel and ahead of the rear wheel.
And a floor repair pop-riveted in.
Just to ice the cake, it seems the cam cover is off the engine.
He insist that the sills appear to be good.
Engine is not a huge deal since I have a couple that run, even one from a '74.
But I'm sick of fighting rust that's worse than first looks reveal.
May have to try to get him to take a bit less, bumpers are not THAT valuable and I'm not excited to part another out to recover expenses.

He's supposed to send more pics as he's a few hours drive away.

#8 ·
'74 seller did not get back to me with the additional pics.

Got another financial hit today, have to spend money now to make more money later.
So it looks like I will have to pass on this '74 for now.

Here's the link for anyone else who may be interested, 1969 Fiat / 74 Alpha Romero two Spyder Convertibles
For "only" $1,200.00 it may be worth it in parts even if it is too far gone for a practical rebuild.
Claim is that it is relatively rust free as detailed above.
And yes it does still have it's bumpers and grill, also thought to be original paint so no rust hidden under bondo.
Seller is a tow yard in Sacramento, car does have a title.
If anyone goes to look please post what you find.
There's still slim chance I might be able to get it in a few days if no one else grabs it first.

#11 ·
Maybe Webers are too complex for most owners and so the earlier cars more likely to be given up on early?
FICA left to dealers as owners would not even try?

One year of four still seems a lopsided statistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.