Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Original Cassette Player 1984 Spider

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  fraze 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 1984 Spider Veloce but it came with a second hand CD player installed. I would like to put back the original Cassette player if possible. Does anyone have one that they would like to sell?

#5 ·
I've got one from a '78. The cassette door (No, not 8-track) is marked with the Alfa Romeo logo. It's a pretty bare-bones AM/FM cassette deck. I can send pictures if you want, or perhaps someone can tell us whether the decks changed between '78 and '84.

#7 · (Edited)
The gentlemen are right, the factory did not install radios. I dug out a German brochure of the Spider S4 that lists "Radiovorrüstung" = "Radio pre-install", and lists all available extras, not including a radio option. Also, here is an Austrian Alfa-pricelist from 1987 with extras, without radios.
(They are a bit more recent than 1984, but it's pretty hard to imagine that Alfa offered a radio in '84 and no more.)

Attachments

#8 ·
Not certain of the "stock" unit either as my 84 had an aftermarket CD player installed, but the PO had modified /hacked the stock opening to allow the new unit to fit.
If the stock radio has the shafts for the volume and tuner, probably that part of the face plate would be cut out to accept the single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) of the aftermarket radio.
Les

#9 ·
My 87 quadrifoglio had a clarion radio cassette player, not sure if it was factory or dealer installed. It was the kind that you push to u-shaped pins (lack of a better term) on each side of it to pull it out.

#10 ·
My 87 quadrifoglio had a clarion radio cassette player when I bought it 16 years ago. It was the kind that used two U shaped tools inserted on each side to pull out.
I think I tossed it when moving from FL to NC, few years later I regretted doing so thinking it was OEM. I don't feel so bad now knowing that it was dealer installed. It never worked anyway.

#13 ·
We may have the same unit. Haven't even tried mine to see if it works. Looks fine on the outside, has all the knobs.

I read too, that the antenna was suppose to be in windshield on my year, but for whatever reason, it has an antenna on top of the driver's side rear fender. I recently removed it, so that my car cover would fit correctly.

Car has two speakers, one on either side of driver's compartment, not on the doors, forward of the doors. So you are saying they were probably factory installed.

Appears my car had all the factory options (few as they were) except for the hard top. Mine had factory a/c and this stereo system. Not sure anything else was available.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.