Window trouble - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Window trouble

Both power windows barely work. The DS window is just slow but on the PS, the front top pulley is broken and the cable is pulling on the pulley shaft.

Does anyone know a source for new pulleys? I haven't seen them in the catalogs.

The cables are in tact but all the parts are dirty. It looks like a bear to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

Any suggestions for getting it to work better? What about adjusting the window position, cables, etc? Lubrication? Adjustments?

The manual is pretty sparce on how to install the cable and adjust the window.

Thanks, Pat
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2004, 06:27 AM

Search is a wonderful thing:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sear...der=descending
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 AM

Paradiso,

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I did search the list and internet for about 3+ hrs before posting my question (slow dial-up connection) and did read B. Morgans post and reviewed Han's excellent website, both are very useful.

Still, I haven't found a source for the pulleys alone (maybe try to find salvage pieces) and I don't quite follow the adjustment procedure (just adjust the cable tension or the window position?). Also, how does the cable attach to the drum and does the cable need lubrication or better dry?

Rereading Han's site I understand that the cable he installed has 2 ends that come together at the window clamp (do you need to put a split bolt & nut on the cable ends to keep them from slipping out of the clamp?). Also, if keeping the existing cable, can the cable be reinstalled by just loosening the upper tension adjusting pulley?

Maybe these will become clear when I dive into it. I'm a little aprehensive because the car is stuck outside at the moment in the elements. I'll probably wait until I can pull her into the garage.

Pat
Old 02-14-2004, 04:36 PM

I replaced my D/S motor and it is a pain, wear thick gloves , clean up cables as best you can . Be careful of window alignment and limits or you'll damage the glass. Parts at a wrecking yard, they always leave the rollers lying at the bottom of the doors , it seems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.