How to adjust timing without timing marks??? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

How to adjust timing without timing marks???

Would appreciate the collective brain power of this wonder AlfaBB to solve this problem.... how to adjust ignition timing when there is no timing mark on the crank pulley.

Dont ask why, but yes, I do not have any timing mark on mine (spent a long time searching for it and still not found one) I have a carb car and at the least would like to set ignition at static timing using the F mark.

what do you think, can I do this.... put car at TDC, take a light bulb connected in series to the points in the distributor and rotate the distributor body till the light just comes on take this as the TDC errr "P??" mark and then errr do I rotate it clockwise or anticlockwise by 4 degrees to set the static ignition timing??? I know my distributor body's circumference and I will just work out what 4 degree is in actual mm to move.

I would love to do a dynamic timing but I do not have a timing light at the moment and besides, I have no M mark to time it with. I can approximate the various marks by taking the engine to TDC but TDC measured with a dial indicator would still put me on either side of +/- 2 to 4 degrees of TDC.

I can try and attach a degree wheel and a piston stop which would be more accurate but heck how do I rotate the crank while the engine is still in the bay? What do I use to turn it? At the moment I put the car in 4th and push but this method doesnt appear to be as precise nore.... gentle? If I were to stick a piston stop in there and push teh car as gentlely as I can, will I end up damaging piston or something? With the plugs out, where do i turn?

Sorry for posting serveral questions within the same post .

Really appreciate your help.
fgc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2003, 03:32 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Is the pointer missing or is it the marks on the pulley that can't be found? On numerous occaisons, I've had to sand the pulley in order to find the marks. I then highlight them with a light colored paint or white-out or something. The pointer can, and usually is, hidden under tons of crud. If the pointer is missing, I'm sure I could find an extra I could donate.
If the marks and/or the pointer are missing, then a static timing will put you roughly in the ballpark. But I think that it would better (and more accurate) to just advance the timing little by little, with a road test after each adjustment, until the engine just starts to 'ping' then back off the timing a little. Since the dist rotor turns clockwise, turning the dist body anticlockwise will advance the timing.
To static time the engine, get the engine as close to TDC as you can. Place a mark anywhere on the pulley that lines up with a fixed point on the engine. Then, as viewed from the drivers seat, turn the engine about 25mm (as referenced on the pulley) clockwise. Then slowly turn the engine anticlockwise until your mark on the pulley is about 5mm before the fixed point on the engine. This will put the engine at a very approximate 5 degrees BTDC. A lightbulb, test light or voltmeter then gets hooked up in parallel with the points. Put one test lead on coil negative (the one that goes to the dist) and the other lead to earth. Disconnect the coil to dist HT lead at the dist and ground it. Turn on the ignition. Loosen the dist body and turn it fully clockwise. Then slowly turn the dist anticlockwise until the light goes on (or the voltmeter sees voltage). This is when the points open breaking the primary ignition circuit causing the spark. Then lock down the dist.
If you're going to static time by putting the engine on TDC and then turn the dist X number of degrees, keep in mind that the dist turns one half engine speed. This means that turning the dist 4 degrees equates to 8 degrees at the crank.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.