Msiert's Black Spider Project - Page 65 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 PM

, thanks , i will try jusr disconecting my cold start injector, see what happens.

Last edited by bianchi1; 05-18-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
Just like you said off line [B][SIZE="4"]"Schweikle Going Down This Year".......
Just a reminder Murray; get some more seat time on a track. If you're gonna talk the talk........

Robert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Just a reminder Murray; get some more seat time on a track. If you're gonna talk the talk........

Robert
Ohh don't worry Robert, seat time I will have................... Combat the evil Empire.................I will.

I'm not gunning for George he's too fast for me.................................It's JohnM I want.

Last edited by msiert; 05-18-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Dang near got busted today

Was out on the test track bedding in the brakes today and dang near got busted by the cops.

The cop was coming from the other direction (2 lane hwy) and was quite a distance off but he did without a doubt catch me braking hard (60+ to 25) in a 45 mph zone.

He turn on his beautiful blue and red lights for a few seconds then turned them off as we passed.

He didn't turn around nor did I stop.....................

Last edited by msiert; 05-18-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Wink

..he's going to be looking for you.. you are a marked man/car.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
..he's going to be looking for you.. you are a marked man/car.
Ya, I'm glad I was looking far ahead otherwise I would have been nailed. Don't know why in the heck a city cop was on that road anyway. Think I'm going to lay low for a while.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
Ya, I'm glad I was looking far ahead otherwise I would have been nailed. Don't know why in the heck a city cop was on that road anyway. Think I'm going to lay low for a while.
Ahh "Young Padawan Learner" You must choose your path and gain a better mastery of the Force.

A Jedi Master would use their Jedi mind tricks on the weak minded police officer to make them see that you were doing the speed limit.

A Sith Lord on the other hand would never lay low for a while....... A Sith would use the Dark Side to cloud their vision, flip their squad car over, crush their throats, and finally conquer the puny police officer with Force Lightning to set their slow moving car on fire and blow it up.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowburn View Post
Ahh "Young Padawan Learner" You must choose your path and gain a better mastery of the Force.

A Jedi Master would use their Jedi mind tricks on the weak minded police officer to make them see that you were doing the speed limit.

A Sith Lord on the other hand would never lay low for a while....... A Sith would use the Dark Side to cloud their vision, flip their squad car over, crush their throats, and finally conquer the puny police officer with Force Lightning to set their slow moving car on fire and blow it up.
Arrested.................

Last edited by msiert; 05-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM

ROFL funny!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Murray,

Why is your car not black underneath? ... is it really a black car or has it had a go-faster repaint?

Pete
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Murray,

Why is your car not black underneath? ... is it really a black car or has it had a go-faster repaint?

Pete

100% Original Paint Pete...............

The undercoating is new.................. it's a light weight helium based derivative that actually reduces the weight of the car with it's helium base but at the same time acts like a magnate to asphalt and concrete with it's patented crush rock magnetized polymers.

This new undercoating should be of great help in defeating the evil JohnM and his side kick Budsy of Scuderia.

Last edited by msiert; 05-19-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Spent sometime today opening up the space around the air filter. I ended up pulling the a/c dryer since the a/c was empty and hasn't been used for years.

I'm hoping that this will give me better airflow to the ITB's the way it was before one side of the filter was up pretty close against the bunper and the dryer was on other side.

Every since I got the car back (4/07) my #4 spark plug has been darker then the rest along with the #1 and #2 looking like they are getting a better burn then #3 and #4.

Over the last 2 years in playing with the main balance screw that balances out the #1 & #2 to the #3 & #4 I had some success but I was never able to get the #4 plug to look as good as the rest..........................so I finially decided it to set up a time with a race shop to balance them out.

In looking at the stock manifold the #4 runner just doesn't look like it would flow as well as the rest (has a twist to it and looking at the inside of the runner it just looks more restrictive then the other 3) so maybe that's the reason???

(First 2 are the before pic's and last 2 are the after pic's)
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 05-31-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM

As I posted in the suspension section I have some work to do to the front suspension before the Spider hits the track this summer. As shown below with a bad camber arm bushing, the caster arm ball joint (at the chassis) has movement and the wheel bearings need to be replaced.

I'm considering redoing the entire front suspension instead of just replacing the bad parts since it's all original (except for the adj. camber arms) but it only has 26,000 miles on it. The jury is still out on what I'm going to do.

I recently bought Paul Spruell's Flex Disk "Solution A" that needs to be installed before I go to the track again too.

Gearboxs and Parts

So all in all this is the list of things that are schedule to be done in the next month is:

1. Balance out the ITB's
2. Install Spruell's flex disk and check the driveshaft alignment out.
3. Front suspension work

First track event is July 25 and 26
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 06-01-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Front Suspension Rebuild

So far the plans for front suspension rebuild will be the following:

1. Re-use the existing poly caster top arm bushing.
2. Re-use the top camber arm ball joint.
3. Use a lower a-arm bushing for the inner bushing of the camber arm.
4. Replace the caster arm ball joints at the chassis.
5. Re-use the existing 29 mm sway bar and it's poly bushings.
6. Install new sway bar drop links (came with sway bar but never installed)

What I have not decided on yet is whether to stay with the stock lower ball joint? The only thing that is holding me up on the lower ball joint kits or modified spindles is that they all lower the car's front ride height.

Here are a couple of pic's of the ride height of the my front suspension.
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 06-03-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Murray,

Looks good to me. Nice sway bar! While you have it apart, check the sway bar brackets and body points for cracks. Most racers will weld a reinforcement at this area (and behind the steering / Idler boxes). That's a lot of load for two small bolts.

One improvement to front geometry that's been around since AutoDelta days are knuckle risers. (I'll find a pic when I get home from work). This raises the upper end of the wheel spindle, giving you more negative camber change as the wheel rises (loaded outside wheel on cornering), which generally improves the contact patch and gives greater traction.

You've left out dealing with bump steer. (Knuckle risers make this MUCH worse!). Take the wheels off and pull the springs and shocks. Tape a 18 to 24 inch straight edge across the wheel flange. Then lift and lower the wheel to see the vertical suspension motion from max bump to rebound (top to bottom). You will see the straight edge turn slightly as if the steering wheel was being turned.

To fix this, RJR and some others makes a special bent steering arm. I think he'll make one for your specific geometry. Some people swap right and left arms to help (they go upside down and the tie rod ends have to be flipped). Alfaholics makes a spherical bearing kit that's adjustable. RJR also cuts and rewelds front spindles to get the geometry correct to control bump steer.

The lowered front is the cause of these problems, and at extremes (track set-up) bump steer can get scary!

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.