Msiert's Black Spider Project - Page 57 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
msiert,

Hmmm, surely you mean steering box not rack, or is this a US versus Aussie speak difference? .

The rack term to me means rack and pinion ...
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
msiert,

Hmmm, surely you mean steering box not rack, or is this a US versus Aussie speak difference? .

The rack term to me means rack and pinion ...
Pete
Hi Pete,

Yep your right it's called box here in the USA.

I'm still get messed up with saying power steering pump vs power steering box at times. But I can say now I know more about steering componets then I ever did before............which wasn't much.

Last edited by msiert; 02-16-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
Hi Pete,

Yep your right it's called box here in the USA. I'm still get messed up with saying power steering pump vs power steering box at times. I can say know I know more about steering componets then I ever did before............which wasn't much.
Sorry .

Does the power steering system have the same absolutely wonderful feel as the unassisted setup? I love my GTV's steering, one of it's best features.
Pete
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Sorry .

Does the power steering system have the same absolutely wonderful feel as the unassisted setup? I love my GTV's steering, one of it's best features.
Pete
You can tell that it power assisted but not like the US power steering, it has more feel to it. If that's the right way to put it? I don't think I would like not having it especially with the wider tires I'm running.

I may be pushing it beyond what it was design to do with running those sticky Hoosier's on the track days and wider tires (205/55/15) then stock (195/60/15) on the street?

Last edited by msiert; 02-16-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM

I hate to sound like an advertisement but "Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak" really works.

Yesterday I suck out the power steering reserve (6 oz) and filled it up with Lucas stop leak, crank the steering wheel it's full travel both ways a couple of times and then let it sit 24 hrs ..................and.............. I only had a 1" diam. spot on the pan today. Maybe this drip could just be residue from the old leak too? This compares to a 6" to 8" spot I usually had.

Looks like I can put the power steering box work off for a while. Thank you God.

I bet when the engine was being installed last December the power steering reserve got top off with regular power steering fluid which was too thin and the old seal couldn't hold it. I know this isn't the finial fix but it will do for now.

The first picture is what the leak use to look like after 24 hrs. The second picture is what it look like (after 24 hrs) after adding the Lucas stop leak.
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 02-17-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

The earlier S2 spiders had none of the power steering issues. This most likely made them a tad bit faster
Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafan61 View Post
This most likely made them a tad bit faster
Your working with that large mouth southern fellow aren't you.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Throttle Position Reading Low???

I had my computer hook up to the Autronic ECU the other day and notice that the throttle position was not getting to 100%...........all I could get to was 98.2%.

I did several tests to see if the throttle plates were opening to 90 degrees (100% throttle).

The tests included:

1. Taking a mirror and looking down the throttle bodies to see if the plates were at (90 degrees) at WOT when working the bell crank by hand ............and they sure looked like they were and I was hitting a stop that sounded like it was in the throttle bodies.

2. I removed the throttle linkage from the bell crank and work the bell crank by hand and got the same 98.2% throttle reading when hitting the stop .

3. I lenghten the throttle linkage a little........No change still 98.2% when hitting the stop

4. I preformed volt/Ohms tests on the TPS and found all values fitting within the range called out for in the Autronic Manual.

5. I talked with Twin Induction and found that my throttle bodies has a built in stop to keep the throttle plates from going past 100% open (90 degrees).........That pretty much says what I thought all along that the throttle plates have a built in stop when they are fully open and that stop must be the one I was hearing in the earlier tests.

After doing this I can say for sure that the throttle plates are opening 100% and the TPS is functioning OK but for some reason the ECU is saying it's 98.2%

Now the Autronic has a nice feature called "Throttle Limit Learning" that will learn the throttle travel by just unplugging the TPS connector with the ignition on followed by at least 5 seconds with throttle closed followed by at least 5 seconds with the throttle fully open.

But until I get the go ahead to use this function from Bob (Autronic Dealer/Tuner) I'm afraid to use it.

You might wonder what the big deal is between 98.2% and 100% throttle but as you can see in the tables below for Base Fuel Delivery and Target A/F there's quite a difference in the cells for 90% to 100% (A/F Target Table) and 97.5% to 100% (Base Fuel Delievery Table).

Any opinions of whats causing the down drifting % of throttle readings?

Pictures below:

1. Base fuel delievery table
2. A/F Target Table
3. TPS Setup in Autroni Manual including Volt Range for TPS and the "Throttle Limit Learning" function instructions.
4. My work table.
5. The new gas pressure gauge. The black gauge looks much better then the red one IMO............Much Faster Too!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 03-03-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Smile man!!!!

looks like you are trying to start an F1 motor there, msiert....and by the way, your rear tires are getting a wee bit thin on the tread..i guess it's from racing that 'southern guy'p
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
looks like you are trying to start an F1 motor there, msiert....and by the way, your rear tires are getting a wee bit thin on the tread..i guess it's from racing that 'southern guy'p
Hi bianchi,

I don't need no sticking new tires to beat that Southern guy.

While waiting on what to do about the throttle position deal I thought I wold post some pictures of the clean up work I did the other week.

I took sometime to clay the front end and the lower side panels along with a coat of wax. I also cleaned up the undercarrage.

Ohh ya.................The Power Steering is leaking as bad as before.
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 03-03-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Misc. cleanup pitures.
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 03-03-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

i run 205/50/16 tire, and also auto-x here here in cali. never felt the need for power steering, seams light enough for me.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
i run 205/50/16 tire, and also auto-x here here in cali. never felt the need for power steering, seams light enough for me.
It might be fine for me too but I already have a spare PS box to install when the time comes. I'm really wanting to make it through this season before changing it through.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM

jsut think of the oil slick you could leave behind.. might slow up some compantion.."*
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM

TPS travel limits re-calibration

Bob contacted me last night on the using the "Throttle Learning Feature" this is what he said;

Your ECU calibration for the TPS is indeed a wee bit out of calibration.

The most important thing for the ECU TPS calibration is that when the throttle is fully closed, the ECU needs to read 0% TPS. When you move the throttle ever so slightly off of closed position, the TPS should respond 1% or a fraction. There should be no "dead zone" where the throttle can be moved with the ECU still reading 0%.

This is important because overrun shutdown requires that the the throttle be at less than 1.5% during overrun shutdown. (Overrun shutdown is engine running at speed with foot off throttle).

The 98.5% throttle max won't hurt things at all, but you can go ahead and follow the procedure in the manual. This super simple TPS calibration It is a really nice feature of the Autronic.

Well this afternoon before I ran the "Throttle Learning Function" I check to see if I was getting 0% throttle and I wasn't............I was at .9

Guess I was so concern about full throttle that I didn't even notice that I wasn't getting 0% throttle either. But I had very good low throttle response (no dead spots) I just wasn't getting to 0% throttle..............My throttle range was .9% to 98.2%

I also took this time to make up a new stop for the throttle peddle using the monitor to set the height of it. The peddle hits the top of the bolt and I used a set nut and lock washer to keep the bolt at the right height.

After installing the peddle stop I ran the throttle travel function this afternoon and now I have both 0% and 100% and it took under 30 seconds to do it................Autronic Rules and so do you Bob...............Thank you!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by msiert; 03-05-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.